NameSilo

Why Roger Collins Brought Afternic Back from the Afterlife - New at DNJournal.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Here is an interesting new Cover Story at Domain Name Journal (especially for horror fans :) )

DOMAIN INDUSTRY GHOSTBUSTER:
WHY ROGER COLLINS BROUGHT AFTERNIC BACK FROM THE AFTERLIFE

Register.com paid 48 Million Dollars for Afternic.com in 2000.
Just 2 years later, they threw in the towel and sold it for what was pocket change in comparison.
Did new owner Roger Collins get the deal of the century, or will he be trapped in the haunted house too?

Read It Here

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Another excellent article Duke.

No doubt about it, Roger got the deal of a lifetime getting the Afternic domain at the price he did.

•••
I just noticed the Voxtreme server that dnjournal.com is on is down this morning. Sorry for the inconvenience to those trying to access the site. Please try again later. Their uptime record is good so I doubt they will be down long. I told you there were some spooky things going on with this whole Afternic story. :)

•••
:lol:

I was going to PM you about that, Duke! No worries ... I'll check back later this morning. Thanks for the info and keep up the good work.

•••
Great Article Duke!!!!!

Nice article on Afternic and the letter from ENOM on WLS Duke - Site looks great. Steve

•••
Wow, that is a nice article, great read too! Good job on the site, keep it up :D

•••
Thanks all! By the way the site is back up. It was down for about an hour this AM (darn goblins!D-: )

•••
Good stuff Duke. Hard to believe register.com would let their $48 million investment go to crap. What happened?

•••
Originally posted by Domainmine
Good stuff Duke. Hard to believe register.com would let their $48 million investment go to crap. What happened?

I don't think they did it voluntarily. :blink:

That was in the middle of the .com bubble when everyone though domains would continue to sell for six figures. When the bubble burst, their investment suddenly became worth a lot less (commissions on $300 sales are a lot less than on $500,000 sales).

•••
another great article Duke :)

•••
we send everyone we can't make a listing deal with afternic

ichina.net was a recent one

solid i .net but way too much asking price

so we suggested he pay afternic to list it there

their alexa is going the right way

good listing service

but listing is a dead animal for premium dom's

aggressive sales team going right to the big corp's is the new game

these forums are the new action for fast reseller action as anyone selling low priced dom's knows

in the future people will understand you have listing companies GD AN etc

you have fast sales reseller forums almost like day trading

then you have companies that can actually get a domain name in a major companies ear shot to make an offer on a really premium name

so you now have three business models for the dom biz

1. you make small amounts listing everything and hoping something sells for a commission (the old throw enough you know what on the wall some sticks)

2. you have reseller forums that are starting to become nice little traffic vehicles that might one day have a model for making money via ads or value added services etc

3. you have the real brokers who only take on listings that have huge potential to major businesses

that's what's happening as we live and breath everyday

the net is an evolving animal

it isn't fading away

it is a major tool for large and small businesses

a good dom is desirable by anyone in any business that advertises

you think doctor larry steinwhatever whats drlarrysteinwhatever.com as a dom?

if he spends any money on yellow pages, radio or tv the audience will never remember it

so to such a person even a 3rd or 4th tier short doctor .com is worth a nice little sum

that guy isn't going to GD or AN looking for such a name

he's the doctor you meet in a restaurant on a golf course out shopping for a new jag etc

now as to the super primo stuff

you have to really understand who can pay big bucks to control a major keyword in the .com tld

you get a listing there you better have a slick marketing campaign to get that name in front of a real potential big buck buyer

anyway, that's how I see the whole dom biz today

three types of services

1. the old boys that failed GD AN etc they are now listing services

2. the new breed of resellers that use places like this to buy up good dom's cheap or sell dom's in volume at low prices

3. the companies that have the staff that can talk intelligently to major corporate execs in the old business and new business arena

just my two and 1/2 cents

:)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back