IT.COM

interviews Why Michael Cyger Started Resolution.club and Why He Chose .Club instead of .Com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Angela St. Julien

Brand.Bar StaffVIP Member
Impact
This past week, I had the pleasure to sit for a chat with with Michael Cyger, Founder and Publisher of DomainSherpa.com, while we were down in Fort Lauderdale, FL for this year’s The Domain Conference. We decided to have a HappyHour Chat during an actual happy hour in an actual bar! Exciting right!?

A couple months earlier at the Domain Startup Summit, Michael presented his new venture- Resolution.club, a platform where you can “build a healthy habit or break an unhealthy one” with the support and accountability of your friends, family and/or community. I didn’t have a chance to sit down with him then, but I wanted to hear more about why he created Resolution.club and more specifically, why he chose to launch on the .Club extension instead of the .com.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Speaking of bars... I have some cool .bar rock glasses and beer mugs to giveaway. If you're interested in getting one email [email protected] with your shipping address. *ONLY WHILE SUPPLY LASTS

•••
Congrats on your interview Angela and thank you for sharing it with us!

•••
Nice interview. One question I would love to know the answer to. If he was starting resolution.club and did not have the ability to secure the .com then would he have still chosen a gTLD.

It's a very important question because if he was not able to secure the .com he may not have ever attempted to use a gTLD to begin with.

•••
Nice interview. One question I would love to know the answer to. If he was starting resolution.club and did not have the ability to secure the .com then would he have still chosen a gTLD.

It's a very important question because if he was not able to secure the .com he may not have ever attempted to use a gTLD to begin with.
I'd like to know this too, @DomainSherpa.

•••
Another great interview Angela. I really dig how you don't interrupt your guest.

•••
Thank you for the nice interview :)

•••

As I mentioned in this interview, I've always been into making resolutions and seeing if I had the will power to keep them. So when I finally decided to build an app, of course I had to buy the domain name first. Domains always proceed development for me.

On 2014-Jul-09, I hand registered the domain name ResolutionClub.com. (Yes, it took me a while to get motivated to build the app!)

Then, if memory serves me correctly, I thought "the .Club guys hustle; what if .Club takes off and is more powerful of a brand than the .com?" So the next day I reached out to the owner of Resolution.club who had hand registered it. 8 days later I had an agreement to buy the domain name.

I decided to choose the .club instead of the .com as the primary domain name for two reasons:
1. It is shorter to type.
2. If the app takes off and works well, the .Club registry might potentially promote it as case study driving more users as they're doing for Coffee.club, Soap.club and Shave.club.

Honestly -- and this is just my opinion -- I would likely have chosen another name if I couldn't lock up the .com too. A quick example: when I once verbally told a friend to go to "Resolution dot club," they said "oh, resolutionclub.com?" And I said yes, because it redirects. Changing habits takes time for people, but I'm willing to bet that a majority of people would get it right.

Hope that helps.

Best,
Michael

•••
Then, if memory serves me correctly, I thought "the .Club guys hustle; what if .Club takes off and is more powerful of a brand than the .com?"

More powerful than .com?

Honestly -- and this is just my opinion -- I would likely have chosen another name if I couldn't lock up the .com too.

You understand the leak problem. It's a very good point, if you decide to use an extension people aren't familiar with, make sure you own the corresponding .com.

Last edited:
•••
Great interview, Angela. Thanks for sharing! We really enjoyed hearing about Michael Cyger's new website. What a great idea. We definitely agree that this would be a great app as well. Resolution time is around the corner!

•••
As I mentioned in this interview, I've always been into making resolutions and seeing if I had the will power to keep them. So when I finally decided to build an app, of course I had to buy the domain name first. Domains always proceed development for me.

On 2014-Jul-09, I hand registered the domain name ResolutionClub.com. (Yes, it took me a while to get motivated to build the app!)

Then, if memory serves me correctly, I thought "the .Club guys hustle; what if .Club takes off and is more powerful of a brand than the .com?" So the next day I reached out to the owner of Resolution.club who had hand registered it. 8 days later I had an agreement to buy the domain name.

I decided to choose the .club instead of the .com as the primary domain name for two reasons:
2. If the app takes off and works well, the .Club registry might potentially promote it as case study driving more users as they're doing for Coffee.club, Soap.club and Shave.club.

Honestly -- and this is just my opinion -- I would likely have chosen another name if I couldn't lock up the .com too. A quick example: when I once verbally told a friend to go to "Resolution dot club," they said "oh, resolutionclub.com?" And I said yes, because it redirects. Changing habits takes time for people, but I'm willing to bet that a majority of people would get it right.

Hope that helps.

Best,
Michael
Thanks for the detailed response Michael. I figured that would be your answer. :) It will take time for people to understand why you're saying a dot between the two words but that time will come at some point in the near future.

•••
Overall an interesting and informative interview.

And I do admire Michael's candor regarding his name selections and his decision - making process.

•••
Regarding the trademark question in the interview; Not an attorney, just MHO.
I think its a good idea to trademark, enunciating the dot. It should drive familiarity with your domain pronouncement and further separates your site from the name.com should you not own it.
I'm also assuming the new gTLD name won't be rubbing wrong with an existing brand or trademark.
The more site owners trademark their unique new gTLD domain names, the faster people will become accustomed to using new gTLDs

•••
Great to see you Angela. I want my swag'!'

Love the concept Michael! You are the definition of hard work! Hope to see you again at Namescon!

All the best to both of you!

•••
wtf ?
upload_2016-9-24_6-49-53.png

•••
•••
Great to see you Angela. I want my swag'!'

Love the concept Michael! You are the definition of hard work! Hope to see you again at Namescon!

All the best to both of you!
Email me your addy @Silentptnr, and I'll send it over!

•••
•••

Hope that helps.

Best,
Michael

Good branding, indeed.
What about the business part?
How you plan to monetize the website, Michael?
Personal management and goal tracking is one of the most competitive areas on the market and there's plenty competitors who started earlier: smartprogress.do, lifetick.com, Stickk, Lift, to name a few sites and apps.
Most of them using monetization already, how you plan to beat them?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back