NameSilo

question Why .GLOBAL is successful in sales?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I cannot understand Why dot GLOBAL domains sells almost every week? No one new extension is successful in sales like .GLOBAL
Here's fresh sales for last week and there many .GLOBAL domain sales. http://www.dnjournal.com/domainsales.htm

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Successful for whom ? The registry ?

•••
I cannot understand Why dot GLOBAL domains sells almost every week? No one new extension is successful in sales like .GLOBAL
Here's fresh sales for last week and there many .GLOBAL domain sales. http://www.dnjournal.com/domainsales.htm
They are succesful AND they report their sales properly ...

plus:

you need to understand their pricing structure - it is in levels of roughly 2k, 4k and 8k usually per name. If you purchase the name, you then pay just standard renewal for .global in following years, and such sale gets reported.

Many other gTLDs have totally different pricing structure - they can have renewals as high as 500 - 20 000 / year...but when someone register such name, it is usually not reported as "sale" by registries who are selling this kind of gTLDs...

thus, you have some gTLD extensions for which people are spending lot of money (aka those extensions are doing very well in terms of sales, as people are paying high renewals to registry), but you will not find them reported as sales...

So I agree with your statement that .Global is doing very well (they have fantastic sales team, btw), but you could prove your statement "No one new extension is successful in sales like .GLOBAL" only after you summarise renewal fees of registered names for each competing new gTLD extension, and compare those to summarised sale prices of sold names in .global - chances are, you probably have not performed this type of analysis :)

•••
I think the main thing is simply that .global report sales monthly to NameBio, whereas the vast majority of registries never report sales at all to NameBio. Some, like Radix, report some of their sales, but just twice a year. The .top sales, or a portion thereof, have been reported the last two years.

I am not sure that we would see much difference if other registries reported sales. As @lolwarrior points out they also stay firm to get good prices.

Global is a nice extension for a company, but it is certainly not alone in that.

Bob

•••
I think the main thing is simply that .global report sales monthly to NameBio, whereas the vast majority of registries never report sales at all to NameBio. Some, like Radix, report some of their sales, but just twice a year. The .top sales, or a portion thereof, have been reported the last two years.

I am not sure that we would see much difference if other registries reported sales. As @lolwarrior points out they also stay firm to get good prices.

Global is a nice extension for a company, but it is certainly not alone in that.

Bob

An insightful observation. I totally agree on this.

•••
I don’t track how .global sales is going today, but I won celebrities.global durning their promo campaign back in 2017, if I good with my memory. After 1 renewal I dropped it due to zero interest. I was making outbound to couple of major celebrity magazines and sites without any success.

Last edited:
•••
I don’t track how .global sales is going today, but I won celebrities.global durning their promo campaign back in 2017, if I good with my memory. After 1 renewal I dropped it due to zero interest. I was making outbound to couple of major celebrity magazines and sites without any success.
Yearly sell through rate for end user prices is imo about 1-2% even in very good new gTLD portfolios atm. Lets sat it is 1% - that means if you have 100 names, you will sell one for "good price".

This also mean If you try to sell 1 name, it will take you in average 100 years to sell it for a "good price"

Of course, the lower the price, the faster. By good price I mean end user pricing (for your name anything betweeen 2k-8k), while if you would offer it for some small multiples of reg fee, probably someone would take it withing that first year.

:)

•••
Hi! if somebody has info about .global sales on the aftermarket (from domaininvestor), please share!

Thanks!

•••
Hi! if somebody has info about .global sales on the aftermarket (from domaininvestor), please share!

Thanks!

You can get an idea by looking at all NameBio listed sales in extension (here is the list) and then scroll through and exclude any where the venue is DotGlobal or GlobalRegistry. There are a few, mainly at Sedo, Flippa and ROTD, but not many. It is possible even some of these are registry sales (a Domain Tools Whois history can probably determine that). Of course this does not reflect sales on DAN, Efty, Afternic, etc. Still, I think the percentage is pretty small. For example there are 6 Sedo and 3 Flippa out of 444 total sales listed for .global.

Bob

•••
The sales are due to proactive "marketing" by the registry to potential buyers.

These are not just passive sales that are organically happening. The push certainly has major underlying costs in employees and resources.

Brad

•••

Thanks!
Subscribe to DNJournal.com and you will receive domain sales report on email every Thursday and watch every report and you will find .GLOBAL domain sales.

•••
The sales are due to proactive "marketing" by the registry to potential buyers.

These are not just passive sales that are organically happening. The push certainly has major underlying costs in employees and resources.

Brad

Registry sales seem to dominate and as mentioned in the 2,4,8K range nearly every week. There are much better ngtld out there you would think they would follow the .global "marketing" example?

•••
There are much better ngtld out there you would think they would follow the .global "marketing" example?
I think a number of them do. For example Andrew at Domain Name Wire reported a few days ago on Donuts announcing that they had sold $53 million in premium domain names
https://domainnamewire.com/2019/06/21/donuts-has-generated-53-million-in-premium-domain-revenue/
We are simply seeing that Global report their premium domain sales to NameBio regularly while the vast majority of registries do not.
Bob

•••
I think a number of them do. For example Andrew at Domain Name Wire reported a few days ago on Donuts announcing that they had sold $53 million in premium domain names
https://domainnamewire.com/2019/06/21/donuts-has-generated-53-million-in-premium-domain-revenue/
We are simply seeing that Global report their premium domain sales to NameBio regularly while the vast majority of registries do not.
Bob

If that is all time across 240 extensions, that is pretty embarrassing.

They could have generated more on regular pricing structure with many more sales and annual renewals dripping in.

•••
•••
Just did a quick check on a dozen or so of the top .global sales, only a couple resolve to websites.

Perhaps someone else can check this as it may be my location.?

•••
Perhaps someone else can check this as it may be my location.?
I just did a quick check of 50 .global NameBio listed sales from June 24, 2018 to Jan 13, 2019 (this means that some months have elapsed, enough time that a site could be developed). This is what I found. 50 domains in study, so for numbers just divide by 2.
  • 26% were in active use
  • 8% were actively used for redirection
  • 12% were somewhat in use (coming soon, cryptic message, in one case security alert)
  • 30% appeared to be active domains but not in active use for a website
  • 22% are actively listed for sale with a lander
  • 2% (one domain) is currently expired
In a broad way these are not much similar than I have found for legacy sales a year later, except with legacy the percentage that are for sale are higher in .com. It is somewhat disheartening, but it seems many domains that sell don't get meaningfully used.

I found it interesting that 3 of the active uses were by churches not businesses. Also interestingg that 2 of the 4 using it for redirection were redirecting to a different new gTLD.

Now it may be that some of these were defensive or long term potential use sales, so the plan was never to use them quickly.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
Now On Sedo is .Global auction for domains in this extension.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back