Domain Empire

Why do people prefer GoDaddy?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I don't understand why so many domainers prefer Godaddy, they have the highest renewal fees for .com, the renewal price is now $18 instead of $15 which is crazy high! Also Godaddy interface is ugly, outdated and very confusing. There are many high quality alternative registrars that are much cheaper, and have much better user interface.

If domainers like Godaddy for its large Marketplace, then that does not make any sense, IMO it is the worst marketplace for domains:
1- Very saturated, too many domains are listed.
2- Very high commission and you need to pay fees to set a reserve!
3- New domains in auction are invisible, you can't sort domains by most recent!
4- Biased platform! expired domains are given 100x more visibility and priority, appraisal values are only shown for expired auctions on purpose; users will sort and search by appraisal values and that give much greater visibility to expired auctions.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Never underestimate the power of TV commercials

•••
If you have a lot of domains, I think you are best to use GoDaddy with the Domain Discount Club. It is $10/month for DDC (less when you buy for the first time with a coupon - if you go that route, buy for multiple years - plus you get the Auction membership included). I renew my .com domains for 1 year at a time for $8.50. With it I get the security GoDaddy offers (see all the posts regarding Network Solutions as to why this is important), as well as being so much easier to transfer in and out of - and fast transfer through Afternic. Nobody questions domains for sale if they are registered at GoDaddy. Afternic marketplace is better than GoDaddy's - but with Afternic people still get the "premium domain for sale" with price when typing in a name of yours.

•••
I agree that it's the worst. The best think I can think of as far as the reason is that end users will most likely be familiar with it and are more likely to trust it as a site than some lesser known registrar.

Don't get me wrong, GD has some useful tools, but it's bad as far as registering domains goes.

•••
@Kpett why do you need security GoDaddy offers? If you are domainer then your domains are not used or developed, why do you need protection from spam?

•••
I don't understand why so many domainers prefer Godaddy, they have the highest renewal fees for .com, the renewal price is now $18 instead of $15 which is crazy high! Also Godaddy interface is ugly, outdated and very confusing. There are many high quality alternative registrars that are much cheaper, and have much better user interface.

If domainers like Godaddy for its large Marketplace, then that does not make any sense, IMO it is the worst marketplace for domains:
1- Very saturated, too many domains are listed.
2- Very high commission and you need to pay fees to set a reserve!
3- New domains in auction are invisible, you can't sort domains by most recent!
4- Biased platform! expired domains are given 100x more visibility and priority, appraisal values are only shown for expired auctions on purpose; users will sort and search by appraisal values and that give much greater visibility to expired auctions.

I've never understood why people care about what registrars others domainers like. We've had 2 Favorite Registrar polls, GoDaddy was #1 in both.

I like them because they are the cheapest, for me. With their club and the volume I have. I only pay $8.47 for renewals for my .coms. Not $15 or $18.

I like the reps I have. Very easy to contact if I ever have an issue.

I like the integration into the auctions.

etc.

If you like the registrar you're using, that's all that matters.

•••
No @Ostrados - security is required when transferring names - not talking about SSL certificates or other website stuff. Transferring domain names is when mistakes can happen at some registrars. Just search Network Solutions here on NP and you will see all sorts of problems people have with that registrar. Plus I have found GoDaddy to be very helpful, both with any issues regarding domains or websites. Just works for me - maybe not others.

•••
@JB-lions I tried to contact Godaddy support couple of times, I didn't find how to to send an email, so I tried chat they kept me waiting for like 40 minutes, then I went to make coffee came back and my chat session was disconnected! and I had to wait another 40 minutes.

in another very popular registrar (without naming it) when I go to chat I instantly get someone from support and the chatting starts within seconds.

Last edited:
•••
@JB-lions I tried to contact Godaddy support couple of times, I didn't find how to to send an email, so I tried chat they kept me waiting for like 40 minutes, then I went to make coffee came back and my chat session was disconnected! and I had to wait another 40 minutes.

in another very popular registrar (without naming it) when I go to chat I instantly get someone from support and the chatting starts within seconds.

I'm glad you found a registrar you liked. I haven't had those type of issues but then I've had a VIP Account Exec pretty much since I've started. The support levels could be different. Again, just find a registrar(s) you're happy with.

•••
I use GoDaddy for most of my domains mainly because it is the most recognizable brand to the average person

Also never had any major issues with them

I disagree about the interface, I think it is nicely put together

CS is very timely and helpful in my experience

Thanks

•••
what about crazy renewal prices? how can someone with no access to discount club afford $18 renewals?

•••
what about crazy renewal prices? how can someone with no access to discount club afford $18 renewals?

Pay for the club or again, find another registrar. It's not complicated. Do they still have renewal coupons, haven't checked in awhile. If they do, use them. That club benefits more people who have at least a few hundred domains, then it's worth it. Have to run the numbers for your own situation/portfolio and see if it makes sense.

Last edited:
•••
Pay for the club or again, find another registrar. It's not complicated. Do they still have renewal coupons, haven't checked in awhile. If they do, use them.

this is not about me, this is general discussion not personal discussion so why you keep telling me find another registrar?! I have domains in 5 registrars including GD.

•••
this is not about me, this is general discussion not personal discussion so why you keep telling me find another registrar?! I have domains in 5 registrars including GD.

It's not general. We don't all have the same situations. For you, GoDaddy might not be the right fit. For me it is, based on the reasons I posted about earlier.

Look at the title of the thread:

Why do people prefer Godaddy?

I just gave you mine. You're in a different situation.

Again, look what you posted - "what about crazy renewal prices?"

$8.47 for me

$18 for you

"why you keep telling me find another registrar?"

Because for you, it would be cheaper. Then you have some other issues with GoDaddy that I don't have, so why wouldn't you use another registrar.

Last edited:
•••
It's not general. We don't all have the same situations. For you, GoDaddy might not be the right fit. For me it is, based on the reasons I posted about earlier.

I hate personalizing topics, again this thread is not about me, it is an open discussion for criticism points on GD, so please be subjective in your discussion.

thanks

•••
I use GoDaddy for most of my domains mainly because it is the most recognizable brand to the average person

Also never had any major issues with them

I disagree about the interface, I think it is nicely put together

CS is very timely and helpful in my experience

Thanks

I agree that the interface is pretty easy-though the Cash Parking section should be in the main site-so you don't have to toggle back and forth. I also, like the GoDaddy Valuation tool (which I respect more than Estibot) and the screen that shows recent sales in similar names. Lastly, fast transfer with Afternic is very helpful. (Danica is a bonus.)

Last edited:
•••
In general, ~$18 vs $8.xx is a big difference, so both sides are correct.
Does "the Go Get Me A Daddy :) club" include free privacy, or is that still an extra fee?

Last edited:
•••
@Ostrados - you made it personal a few posts up when you told us about an experience you had trying to do an online chat with GoDaddy. @JB Lions is basically saying for those that want to argue against GoDaddy - then don't use them.

Personally, I never do online chat with GoDaddy - I always call them. Sometimes there is a short wait, but I eventually get through and they have always been helpful in solving any problems.

•••
In general, ~$18 vs $8.xx is a big difference, so both sides are correct.
Does "the Go Get Me A Daddy :) club" include free privacy, or is that still an extra fee?

No - the GoDaddy Discount Domain Club does not include free privacy for domains.

•••
I hate personalizing topics, again this thread is not about me, it is an open discussion for criticism points on GD, so please be subjective in your discussion.

thanks

That post doesn't make any sense. Your whole first post is your personal experience with them.

You pay $18 renewals
You don't like their interface
You don't like their marketplace
etc.

With this:
"Very high commission and you need to pay fees to set a reserve!"

Don't list them there then. And when I list, I've never paid to set a reserve. I just start the auctions out at the "reserve price" = free.

•••
@Ostrados - you made it personal a few posts up when you told us about an experience you had trying to do an online chat with GoDaddy. @JB Lions is basically saying for those that want to argue against GoDaddy - then don't use them.

Personally, I never do online chat with GoDaddy - I always call them. Sometimes there is a short wait, but I eventually get through and they have always been helpful in solving any problems.

Yes I told you about my experience with support to illustrate that another very negative thing about GD is bad support. Which is in the core of my original discussion "Why people prefer Ggodaddy".

Last edited:
•••
So the next NP member who tells you why they prefer GoDaddy, then just respond and say "Okay, thanks for your post." instead of arguing about your negative experiences and why you don't like GoDaddy.

•••
So the summary of the points that criticize my criticism for GD is that pay to discount club to get $8.47.

Meanwhile in other registrars they have .com in range of $8.8 + free SSL + free privacy + no fees to join discount clubs + insta chat support. And on top of all of that much better and easier user interface.

What is left the marketplace? read my first post.

•••
So the next NP member who tells you why they prefer GoDaddy, then just respond and say "Okay, thanks for your post." instead of arguing about your negative experiences and why you don't like GoDaddy.

Okay, thanks for your post.

•••
I didn't expect that I will open a can of worms with this discussion.

I will ask moderator to close this thread.

Thanks all for your input.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back