IT.COM

Why are 3 letter domains going so high?

NameSilo
Watch
Why are 3 char domains going so high

HI All

I have noticed that 3 letter domain names seem to be going for much more then most other domain names,

Why is this , to me most 3 letter domain names have no meaning,

What am I missing here ?

any help would be great..

Thanks
Tom Dahne

P.s

Sorry for the stupid questions

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
3 letter domains (correct me if I'm wrong) have all been registered out of all the combinations in the english alphabet. They're short, easy to remember, and quick to type in the address bar. Also, you cannot register 3 letter domains anymore. Try going to www.registerfly.com or something and type in any combination of 3 letters, even if it wasn't already taken it usually shows up as an error requiring you to make your domain longer in characters. Basically they're rare and out of stock so people with 3 letter domains can charge whatever price they'd like. When that happens the prices tend to be well... pricey.

•••
3-Letter domains are the most versatile domains in existence so you have a better chance of selling them than any other class of domains. With virtually any good 3-letter combo you will find hundreds if not thousands of companies that have a long name that they would just love to replace on the web with a 3-letter acronym (for example IBM.com instead of InternationalBusinessMachines.com). That is why every single 3-letter com, net and org has been registered and the good ones (more commonly used letters) fetch big amounts of money. There is nothing I would rather have in my portfolio than a nice group of 3-letter domains.

•••
Basic supply and demand...low supply, high demand!

That's for 3 letters, not to be confused with 3 characters.
ST

•••
Originally posted by Coastalguy
That's for 3 letters, not to be confused with 3 characters.
ST

Righto ... please let me know if you'd like the thread "title" reworded/edited, ezimedia. :)
PS. I happened to notice a "Publisher's Clearing House" ad on TV this evening, and believe this is their new, shorter domain name/site: http://www.pch.com
One relevant example.
B-)

•••
Thanks To All

HI

Thanks for the reply, that clears it up a bit for me,

But what if a 3 letter domain name expires can it still be re-registered or will it give the error as explained below your domain is to short, even tho it was reg before by some one else,

And yes please fix the subject for me to letters instead of Chars

Thanks
Tom Dahne

•••
With virtually any good 3-letter combo you will find hundreds if not thousands of companies that have a long name that they would just love to replace on the web with a 3-letter acronym
How very true!

4-letter acronyms can work the same way too :tu: but to a lesser extent, of course, and they won't be as valuable as a 3-letter combo.

•••
3 LETTERs are easily brandable and make for a good quick typein. Has anyone mentioned that they are easy to remember, mainly because the human mind can usually but a beat or musical type memory to a series of letters.

•••
I dont watch TV but tonight was an exception and saw PCH.com come up on an ad, so googled it and this 14 year old namepros thread comes up indexed. Great SEO job!

•••
What am I missing here ?

Haha, I was about to ask the same question after seeing the OP's join date of 2003, then I saw the post dates.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back