NameSilo

Whois

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

john de laine

Established Member
Impact
ive seen it mentioned several times before, as advice to help a name to sell, that you can make some sort of change to your who.is record as as to have it display that the name is for sale ...

but i cant seem to figure out how to do this/where the space is to type this in, ie is it done directly on the who.is website, or do you do it via your DNS manager at your registrar ???

can anyone walk me through this, thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think they get the info from other sites. For example, I don't know why, but I have a domain zp1.com. On Who.is, it comes up at 9,200, on other sites it comes up 8,000. I don't know where they get it from, but it comes from other sites or something.

•••
it is done by changing the contact info at the domain registrar

•••
ive seen it mentioned several times before, as advice to help a name to sell, that you can make some sort of change to your who.is record as as to have it display that the name is for sale ...

but i cant seem to figure out how to do this/where the space is to type this in, ie is it done directly on the who.is website, or do you do it via your DNS manager at your registrar ???

can anyone walk me through this, thanks

You can do this with your domain record in various ways. You can either enter the registrant company name as [Domain is for sale] or use an email that conveys similar message [email protected] or setup your own DNS servers that use similar language. DomainForSale.DomainName.ext. the whole idea is to convey the message to those who are checking your whois record. This has nothing to do with the who.is website, it has to do with your domain name registrar so you need to click change record. The easiest thing for you to do is to use a domain name that incorporates the for sale message.

•••
I think they get the info from other sites. For example, I don't know why, but I have a domain zp1.com. On Who.is, it comes up at 9,200, on other sites it comes up 8,000. I don't know where they get it from, but it comes from other sites or something.
These are prices pulled from afternic.com (I think) and who.is adds 15% commission to the price so it's 8000+1200= 9200. I believe the OP is asking for something else.

•••
To add on to JoeE's excellent info, look up "Child Nameservers" within your registrar's control panel. That way you can add "For sale" information to your whois-listed nameservers, like JoeE mentioned.

I did a post on this a few years back, most of the info should still be valid.

•••
Add an extra nameserver: DOMAIN.FOR.SALE

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back