Fedora Core 1
Fedora Core 2
Fedora Core 3
Fedora Core 4
Debian Stable
Debian Sarge
CentOS 3.X
CentOS $.X

I used CentOS on a VPS but dont know which version...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Ask your admin as he/she will be the one doing the work so its whats best to she/he.

•••
Get either Fedora Core 2 or Fedora Core 3. They are the best, (my opion) out of all on that list. Dont get core 4, its a bit laggy on process's, and still has alot of bugs in it. BSD is a bit too complicated for someone that is just getting into servermanagement..

Also make sure you learn the basic ssh commands, it will save your life... Posted some below. Its not as easy as it looks.

Commands
Nano file - opens file
cd /directory - Moves you down
cd directory\ Moves you up

•••
•••
for a server go for debian stable. the stable is there for a reason. it just works, even though the package maybe old. no one cares if the packages are old. what you want is stable bug-free software. or if you can manage it, install gentoo. then you can get the best optimised OS for your hardware. although you might want to try a gentoo install a few times and it takes a long time to comile :p

•••
Do not go with Fedora Core for server management. It is always released and is sometimes known to be buggy. I would HIGHLY recommend FreeBSD as it is the most stable OS. If you need help there are a lot of community areas just eager to help you out. If you decide not to go to the BSD/UNIX route then I highly recommend CentOS (It is basically RedHat Enterprise Linux just named differently).

From personal experience I switched from Linux to FreeBSD couldn't be happier. The servers are solid as a rock.

But as mentioned before ask your administrator what he/she knows best. If you are just starting out I'd recommend the BSD path (it's best to just dip your hands right in) and the BSD community is constantly growing and as I mentioned before it is always eager to come and help you out :).

•••
RHFC3. Stable, secure, Compatible

-Steve

•••
I'm happy with my Centos 3.5 and 4.2 servers, although I will be moving one to Gentoo shortly for personal reasons.

•••
I used CentOS before on a VPS and it worked fine, so Ill probablygo for that.

•••
Use either CentOS or Fedora Core 3. As mentioned before, Fedora Core 4 is way to buggy.

•••
FreeBSD , it is amazing how much faster and more stable this can be.

•••
If your using this as a personal PC, use Fedora however if your using this as a server use CentOS. Fedora is not suggested for servers.

•••
I literally have never used a single one...I feel n00blike.

•••
Iv'e gone with CentOS.

Thanks for the help guys :)

•••
I recoment FC3 i don't use it for a server just my own pc

•••
Ericsson said:
Iv'e gone with CentOS.

Thanks for the help guys :)

no prblem... any time

•••
yeah no problem, glad to help :D

•••
Fedora Core would work nicely ;)

•••
I don't find it buggy with fedora core... I've been using it for so long and have never seen a single problem. What is the buggy problem you are referring to?

•••
Fedora core 3 i would say !!! its great.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back