IT.COM

poll Which drop catchers do you use the most?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Which drop catchers do you use the most?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • NameJet

votes
    49.7%
  • SnapNames

votes
    28.6%
  • DropCatch.com

votes
    23.8%
  • Other (explain in a post)

votes
    30.6%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

At the inception of the first major drop catching services their results often varied, but their prices and format were largely the same. Fast forward to the present and there's an overwhelming amount of competitors, options, and priorities when drop catching:
  1. Success Rate
  2. Cost
  3. Private or Public Auction
  4. Auction Duration
  5. Specific TLDs
  6. Rewards Programs
  7. UI and Reminders
Which drop catchers do you use the most and why? Do you often place orders at all of them, a select few, or a single one?

Consider all of the drop catchers under the "other" category as: Pool, Pheenix, Go Daddy, Name.com, DomainMonster, Hexonet, Dynadot, Park.io, backorderzone, etc.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If there is a nice name, that I like, in a low targeted niche I will use SnapNames to catch it.

If there is a name that I know will have a few competitors I will place a backorder at all of the services, and see where the domain finds a home.

I call DropCatch "a fate worse than NameJet". If either one of these services catches a decent domain it breaks out into a bidding fiesta. I would prefer Snap, Dyn, or Pheenix catch a name, as their backorders aren't advertised to the world.

•••
For the medium quality domains I prefer to use my own drop catcher, DesktopCatcher B-)

If it were a really competitive name though, I'd probably go with NameJet over DropCatch.

•••
There are many out there and of course the ones in the poll above were the big boys =-D If I really like a name and feel I will be able to sell it at a great price I tend to go with SnapNames and NameJet as these have given me in the past a very high rate of success.

At the same time there are names that are like but I feel are a little bit more risky so I tend to use Pheenix and Godaddy. The key to achieving success with these 2 is to simply avoid competing with the big boys, meaning if you see that the name already have bids on the big boys then there is no reason to use Pheenix or Godaddy on it. But if the name has 0 bids then you have a higher chance of catching it.

- Will

•••
It's frustrating how time consuming it is to backorder a domain that you want. You have to backorder it at every drop catching company, and there are so many of them! I find myself not even bothering. Sometimes, I just hope that a bunch of people will bid on it at DropCatch.com so I can enter the auction afterwards, without having to waste any of my time.

It takes hours to create accounts at 12+ companies, prepay money, and place backorders at all of them. Someone should create a service to do all of this work for us.

I'd pay 5% of the purchase price for someone to handle all the legwork when I want a dropping domain.

•••
At the bottom end of the spectrum, I use Dynadot and Pheenix. But these are probably only good for domains nobody else is really interested in (mostly). My success rate has been about 25-30% combined. Probably the lost 70-75% was because they didn't fit into the category of being a domain that nobody else wanted :(

At the very top end, you should be using DropCatch. They have a very successful catch rate, and can beat almost any other drop-catcher out there. The BIG problem with DropCatch is anybody can bid on a domain once they've caught it. So often the price can reach retail levels. So usually I try to avoid them.

In the middle are NameJet and SnapNames. These are good for domains which have bids already. But they will often be beaten by DropCatch. But I like NameJet/SnapNames for their Pre-Release Auctions, where they are selling domains which have expired but are still renewable. They will not drop, if they have bids. This cuts out the major drop-catch competition, namely DropCatch.

•••
domainVP said:
I call DropCatch "a fate worse than NameJet". If either one of these services catches a decent domain it breaks out into a bidding fiesta. I would prefer Snap, Dyn, or Pheenix catch a name, as their backorders aren't advertised to the world.

What exactly do you mean by that, as it pertains to NameJet? I thought NameJet was very similar to SnapNames? does NameJet now open the bidding to everyone, like DropCatch?

•••
What exactly do you mean by that, as it pertains to NameJet? I thought NameJet was very similar to SnapNames? does NameJet now open the bidding to everyone, like DropCatch?
My guess is that the comment refers to the fact that NameJet auctions usually end at a high price (near the retail price) despite it being a closed auction. There are more "big spenders" on NameJet than SnapNames, so if you end up in an auction at NameJet, the end price is usually high.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back