For example

Amazon Go is to open Cashierless Stores

Does it make sense to buy or register domains like

Cashierlessstore.com ❓

CashierlessStore vs Cashierless-Store

I guess the best would be

Cashierless.Store 😂

Or what about

Metalearning ( Meta Learning - Metal Earning )

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Good question.
Not sure it is necessary.

I have a name that is a product and is also in the dictionary.
It's a letter+keyword.
The dictionary has it as letter hyphen keyword.
I never purchased names with hyphens but Im guessing in this situation it would be best to purchase both with and without hyphen.
Just as it's done with non plural and plural to make sure both is in your possession.
I know it's not too common that the hyphen is typed in but I would like to hear more on this also.
Thanks

•••
•••
Sure
V-bottom
Type of boat

•••
Agree, the best is cashierless.store of course.

If you own cashierlessstore.tld then it's not a bad idea to also own cashierless-store.tld - especially in such a case when there are 3 repeating (same) letters like the "s" in this case.

It's then up to the enduser which domain of both he will use for the website and which one he will use as forwarding domain.

It's not because hyphens are so sexy but simply for better visibilityyy

Last edited:
•••
Agree, the best is cashierless.store of course.

If you own cashierlessstore.tld then it's not a bad idea to also own cashierless-store.tld - especially in such a case when there are 3 repeating (same) letters like the "s" in this case.

It's then up to the enduser which domain of both he will use for the website and which one he will use as forwarding domain.

It's not because hyphens are so sexy but simply for better visibilityyy
You should reg at Uni

•••
If you mean the hyphenated version - no need (as I don't own the non - hyphenated version in opposite to you).
But I own some special hyphenated domains, mostly in .top

•••
•••
•••
chashierless is too awkward to say and no one uses that term - what you want is SelfCheckout

•••
•••
When I visited Frankfurt, most office buildings had plates with REALLY long domains, consisting of dashed words ending in .DE :-D

•••
Yes
Germans are smart 😅
We like to see on first sight

•••
When I visited Frankfurt, most office buildings had plates with REALLY long domains, consisting of dashed words ending in .DE :-D

It's very much a German thing about clarification and identity. It just doesn't easily translate into internet ID though. Our American cousins have pretty much dictated the development of internet ID, I think most of Europe (and the Western world) is onboard with that,

No harm done ;)

Last edited:
•••
When is a hyphen necessary ❓

Cashierlesss 3 s
Schifffahrt 3 f

•••
A hyphen is necessary when the term/phrase is accompanied by a hyphen when used by the masses.

Part-time
Hazardous-waste
Take-home

•••
Also some words make sense with hyphens

•••
Dashes in domains arrived early on with the use of "e-mail," and the way early search engines recognized content. You had to separate words as much as you could.

Google changed everything, as word/domain parsing is done to perfection these days.

How do Germans pronounce dashes in a domain, what's the actual word?

•••
Dashes in domains arrived early on with the use of "e-mail," and the way early search engines recognized content. You had to separate words as much as you could.

Google changed everything, as word/domain parsing is done to perfection these days.

How do Germans pronounce dashes in a domain, what's the actual word?

Hi
What do you mean by pronounce?
We say minus - for hyphens or dashes

Sample wir-für-Deutschland wir-( minus)für( minus)Deutschland - dashes are minus :)

•••
Yes, that's what I meant. So if you have the domain Zwei-Eins.de it sounds like math. :-D

•••
Yes, that's what I meant. So if you have the domain Zwei-Eins.de it sounds like math. :-D

I guess in Germany dashes suites best to a math domains :xf.grin:

•••
I prefer NO hyphen whether regular usage or not. We can't use other symbols when needed, like commas. I say no to hyphens personally.

•••
•••
Here is an example of where a dash is the actual correct term but you can see the difference in search results. BTW - Wi-Fi is trademarked.

"Wi-Fi" = About 457,000,000 results
"WiFi" = About 901,000,000 results

inurl:Wi-Fi = About 5,310,000 results
inurl:WiFi = About 19,200,000 results

Last edited:
•••
Another complication: A domain like Zwei--Eins.de would be "minus minus" and thus, "positiv." :-D

The equation reads as 2-(-1) = 3 LOL

•••
Back