IT.COM

.mobi What's the trick please

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
I have been fiddling with the templates provided by MTLD.mobi and I would like to know how to show the site in Internet Explorer. I realize that IE doesn't support .xhtml but there is a trick to that. Else why can I view my godaddy domains and others in IE? After taking the .xhtml template and changing it to .html to edit in notepad, then changing the site back to .xhtml - I can see the site fine in the emulator but I get a download prompt in IE.

Please post here or PM me if this is top secret or something.
:cy:
Thanks,
Kerri

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You should edit your server settings (e.g. through .htaccess file) so that xhtml type becomes usual html document

•••
adresa said:
You should edit your server settings (e.g. through .htaccess file) so that xhtml type becomes usual html document

How do you do that? Or can you point me to a tutorial? Thanks.

•••
Has anyone tried simply renaming the files to .html from .xhtml and seeing if they work on mobile devices? There should be no reason why they shouldn't as far as I am aware of.

•••
Ok thanks guys for the info! I never even tried just uploading the .html when working with the .xhtml files! DUH :lol:

•••
Just thougt I add my experience here:

1. PC+FireFox = can view xhtml pages
2. PC+Internet Explorer = can NOT view xhtml pages *
3. Treo+Blazer = can view xhtml pages

I read some place that IE is not fully xhtml compliant?

As some suggested, you can simply rename the extensions to html, but I think you must make sure that doctype is xhtml to stay compliant with dotMobi directives..

I created a simple site (chai.mobi) and tried to validate it at w3 and got 10 error messages so I got some quick learning to do.

Kev

•••
Thanks for the tip i will give it a try

•••
tee said:
Yes the doctype has to be correct (mp) though I have seen sites in the mobi section using different versions of xhtml (1.0 strict, transitional and mp).

My understanding is that mobi has its own versions of various tools which we will be able to use to check stuff in the near future.

It works great. :) Now I will be able to tweak the templates to my sites.

Here is a great site (posted earler by -db-) that has tutorials and what you can and can't do with .xhtml:

http://www.developershome.com/wap/xhtmlmp/

Of special interest is the "Syntax Rules of XHTML MP" and the "XHTML MP Document Structure."

Also this next part deals with forms (I haven't yet read it all)
"XHTML MP Input Elements"

Maybe some of these pointers will help us in creating the best pages with the right rules. :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back