NameSilo

What's An Affiliate Newbie To Do?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Ok, after years and years of promising myself I'd get into this, I'm finally ready to dip my tootsies into the world affiliates. I've been doing the AdSense thing quite successfully for the past four years. But I don't like having all my eggs in one basket.

So I applied to various affiliate networks, and now it's time to start putting together some ads for my pages, but I'm finding the whole thing rather daunting. Is there a place one can go to learn (from the beginning, in words of two syllables or less) how to do this? I spent a long time trying to get ONE skyscraper ad out of Performics, and couldn't get it to work properly no matter what I did (and I think under normal circumstances I'm not usually entirely clueless) Similar attempts with CJ, Pepperjam, NeverBlue and others have also not gone well.

I have the sites. I have the traffic (50-70K uniques per day at peak). I'm #1 in Google, Yahoo, & MSN for most search terms having to do with my primary site, and the local TV station even runs free television ads for a webpage that redirects to my site. Plus lots of free newspaper stories and website links. You'd think they'd be beating down my doors to make it easy for me.

But they're not. And I'm confused and disoriented.

So how do I get started? Or is this too much of a newbie subject to even be addressed here? (I normally hang out in the parking forum)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Are you looking to learn PPC to market affiliate products? Or just place affiliate links/banners on your existing sites?

•••
Performics has a pretty cumbersome interface, but if you click the "Get Links" tab and select "by advertiser" you will see all the programs you've joined (make sure you have been accepted into the advertisers' programs first!). Then, if you select "available links" (or "build your own links") from the dropdown on the right and click "go" it will take you to a page where it talks you through the process.

At some point you'll see a box with the ad code - just like Adsense.

CJ's interface is better - Get Links -> By Relationship, then select View Links for that advertiser and Get HTML or Get Javascript. Again, you need to apply to and be accepted into the programs first.

(Too basic, or is this what you were asking :) ?)

CPA is a more "active" model than PPC - Writing some presales copy to go with your links will produce the best results.

•••
How to start as a Newbie Afiliate...

netmeg said:
So how do I get started? Or is this too much of a newbie subject to even be addressed here? (I normally hang out in the parking forum)

You already fulfill the most important requirements: Webpresence, Traffic and Know How about adsense.

There is a free of charge program, calles Favads where you can create your own adblocks, which then look similar to adsense, and place your own textads in there. You can include a clickbank and amazon-shop into your website with your affiliatelinks in it.

There just has launched a very good ebook which leads affiliate newbies step by step the whole way through to your goal. I wrote a review about it.
Even advanced Affiliate Marketers will find some unknown treasures in this book.

I think with the huge traffic you have, you should first choose 2 or 3 real good products to recommend to others and focus on them. Of course you can have advertising on your site about other products you are recommending, too. But mainly I would focus on just a few products and write real recommendations for them. And when they are running themselves then choose the next. Do not start with products from all over the places.

Try to establish your own authority about affiliate marketing. People should learn to know, that they can trust your recommendations and that they will make no mistake if they buy through your page.

If you want to know more about this subject, send me a pm with your skype or MSN messenger ID and I will get in touch with you.

Kind regards

•••
Well I guess you already have 75% of the battle down. Now you just need to get some ads on your pages. Usually it's as simple as going to the campaign in your affiliate network and copying and pasting code into the appropriate place. If that's confusing then maybe ask your AM in that network for some help on how to get your ads on your page.

•••
Look for an offer or offers that fit with your website and doesn't lower the quality of your website and fits with your visitors. For instance you have a website with great quality content and then run some flashy ads with "Win a $500 gift card", it won't work and it would probably just annoy your visitors.

Yeah if you can't work out how to place the ads, just ask your affiliate manager for some help. With your stats Im sure they'd be glad to help.

•••
With those kind of uniques, you should be making $5000 per week minimum at the very least based on what I make with less uniques.

Good luck with your sites.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back