NameSilo

opinion What is the most difficult thing in domaining?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hello guys
What is the most difficult thing you are facing in domaining?
- Finding a good domain name for fair price
- Selling domain names
- Appraise you domain name
- Scamming
- Anything else
Thanks

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Finding is difficult. Once you find and buy the right domain, it's easy to sell. imo

•••
I would say finding the right domain is difficult.

•••
Finding a good domain for a fair price is harder and harder these days, so I would say that is #1.

Appraising your own domains - as in setting BINs - to where after a sale you do not feel like you left money on the table - can always leave anyone with a little uncertainty. And of course overpricing your domains leaves them 'sitting on the shelves'. So this is definitely an important factor of domaining that can cause some stress.

•••
What is the most difficult thing in domaining?

good question!

it depends on the situation

sometimes it could be the simplest thing, like 'logging into your account'

when you look back on it, it seems trivial when solved

but while attempting to gain access to your account numerous times and no one is responding to emails or phone calls.... desperation, anxiety and frustration all kick in.

in that same vein, one could have difficulty with transfers or acknowledgements for/of receipt of domain or payments.

there can be difficulty deciding which names to keep or drop.

some could have difficulty getting funds to acquire other domains or to stay afloat.

many new entrants probably have difficulty understanding what is and what is not, and/or between what could be and what probably will never happen.

then again, some folks make simple things seem difficult..... while others seem to make everything look so easy.

difficulties, provide inspiration to solve

without them, where would we be?

:)

imo....

•••
TBH... i think the hardest part is getting up evey morning after staying up till 3am beaming on coffee..

•••
I think from my own experience studying this industry, plus reading countless threads that boil down to one thing - I want to add patience to the list.

It takes a lot of time and effort to actually make money with domains. First you must put in the time to self-educate yourself - which is not a quick process. (and it never ends)
Then the endless cycle of - Researching names, niches, sales history, combing drop list and auctions, bidding, record keeping, generating leads, and the wait for sales.

Anyone can 'win the lottery' by selling a domain name but to actually sustain an upward trajectory over time is the goal.

•••
Keeping a positive attitude toward domaining is #1. You may get a blast of two or three sales in a short period of time then not get one for a while. That makes you start to question if it's even worth your time anymore, and then BAM you get a $3,500 sale. :) Domaining is the biggest roller coaster ride with many ups and downs. It really drives me fucking insane!!

•••
•••
My problem is most buyers are uneducated and believe any domain can be bought for $50-$100.

I wouldn't say they are low-balling, they just have no idea what domains sell for.

•••
•••
Keeping track of all registrars, renewals, nameservers, landing pages.

•••
Selling domains to end users.

•••
Not having enough capital for acquisitions. I could be doing this full time if living in NYC wasn't so pricey

•••
Outbound Sales is the hardest thing in Domain Investing!

•••
Failure to drop the "garbage" from your portfolio. It's the hardest and the most important step.

•••
Having Patience. Good things come to those who wait....

•••
Good things come to those who send emails, imo :xf.grin:

•••
The administrative effort and/or costs.

Thanks,
Brandon

PS: I hate writing invoices.

•••
•••
Good things come to those who send emails, imo :xf.grin:
lol If you spam me, bad things will happen! :sneaky:

Don't spam 100,000,000 people with crap names please

•••
lol If you spam me, bad things will happen! :sneaky:

Don't spam 100,000,000 people with crap names please

I email end-users only and after extensive research. Don't worry you won't get spammed.

P.S: I don't have crap names :xf.grin:

P.S 2.0: Individual personalized emails to 100,000,000 people will take years.. won't do that obviously.

Last edited:
•••
deliberate research and patience is the name of the game

•••
selling domain names at a good price is the hardest.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back