Domain Empire

What is the deal with the "10 year" limit in .com domain registrations?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

CWDigital

Adapt and OvercomeEstablished Member
Impact
I have seen this before and even remember a few friends telling me they had let domains go since they had them for "too long" is this 10 year limit true? If so then would'nt there be alot of really premium top domains available VERY soon that have been regged since the mid 90's and are approaching the 10 year mark? What am I missing here? See this link:

http://www.enom.com/help/faq_tlds.asp

or is this "10 years at a time" and not a total limit? :sick:

Chris

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
10 years is the current maximum a domain name can be registered. After that,
even if a domain name nears its 10-year mark, its owner can still renew it for
9 years at most.

The reason is that all registrars' systems are designed to count a domain name's life cycle to a maximum of 10 years down to the last second. So if its
owner decided to renew the domain name, say, 1 day before expiration, the
domain name can be renewed only up to 9 years and 1 day.

As far as I know, no domain registrar allows domain name registrations on a
monthly basis due to ICANN rules.

•••
I just renewed transferred a 10+ year domain and guess what? No added year. I guess this fits into the discussion somehow.

•••
.edu said:
I just renewed transferred a 10+ year domain and guess what? No added year. I guess this fits into the discussion somehow.
weird, i never knew that happens

•••
•••
aww said:
Registrars can work around that if they want to.
For example NetSol announced this year - 100 year registrations where the auto-renew it 10 years every 10 years. Basically you just have to trust them (not the best plan).

can be done, but as aww says...risky to trust the registrars completely!!!! you need to "manual" oversee your names!! or it might slip away!! HUMAN errors!!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back