IT.COM

What is brandable domain?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Julio

DominioNombres.comTop Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
hi,

something SHORT and EASY to remember first and formost :imho:

•••
Something catchy and in the domain world it usually revolves around a word that doesn’t already exist. Examples from 15 years ago would be Google, Yahoo etc.

•••
short, prounceable, memorizable.

•••
It simply means you can build a brand around it. Since most brandable terms are not purely descriptive, they can be trademarked and protected by a company.

Amazon.com (brandable) vs. BookStore.com (generic)
Microsoft.com (brandable) vs. SoftwareCompany.com (generic)
eBay.com (brandable) vs. Auctions.com (generic)

We could even put our site name in this category,
NamePros.com (brandable) vs. DomainForum.com (generic)

Remember that even though something might be "brandable" you still need to spend time, money and effort to make a brand out of it.

RJ

•••
finaly learned what that generic mean :) . thank you.

•••
-RJ- said:
Remember that even though something might be "brandable" you still need to spend time, money and effort to make a brand out of it.

RJ
That is the KEY to to make a BRAND worth anything. A brandable name isn't worth anything unless;

A. You're lucky enough to come up with a name that is coincidentally just what an end user is looking for. (Hardest IMHO)
B. You create an image, product, or service that is desirable by customers or another business interested in expansion/acquisition.

I created a BRAND - Hula Hitch that on it's own isn't worth anything, but with the right marketing and promotion I am creating both a consumer following as well as licensing opportunities for further growth and expansion.

•••
Catchy and memorable

I reg'd

Voipple.com/net

I love Voipple as a VoIP brand name simply because it sounds so nice to say....go on say it....you know you want to....:)

•••
I have a huge list of barndables in my protfolio. Like this game very much.

But you are right you will have to wait for some end user or corporation to be interested in that brand name. I would like to put some of the names here . but it will be pure advertising so here are two or three examples.

I have : fhur.com, delq.com and others.

Short, pronounciable, memorizable these are some of the best qulaities that the end user will look for a brandabel name.

•••
More important than being just catchy, your domain name needs to be memorable. Someone needs to hear or see it once and be able to type it into their computer days or weeks later. Try to keep it simple!

•••
i like the brandable game too.. i try to keepa healthy balance between the easier to sell generic type ins and the more specualtive development orientated brandables though..

a few i have are

fuuto.com
fuugo.com
nuiko.com
qerv.com
izti.com
nuugo.com
ammo.tv

of course possibly better is one that suits both camps, is brandable and does what it says on the tin.. joke.tv for instance.. ;)

•••
1 or better 2 syllables (in some cases 3) with good pronounce and easy to remeber.

Say, kadako is ok, imo. It maybe an artificial word like what I menioned (btw, domain available).

•••
-RJ- said:
It simply means you can build a brand around it. Since most brandable terms are not purely descriptive, they can be trademarked and protected by a company.

Amazon.com (brandable) vs. BookStore.com (generic)
Microsoft.com (brandable) vs. SoftwareCompany.com (generic)
eBay.com (brandable) vs. Auctions.com (generic)

We could even put our site name in this category,
NamePros.com (brandable) vs. DomainForum.com (generic)

RJ

It is notable and we have to spend more money to make our domain (product) brandable thriugh various medias and promotions.

•••
Thanks Everyone!!!

All replies are very helpful. :)

•••
Nice post and valuable opinions.
Furthermore a brand is a sign in form of a design that printed or replied on various media is diffused to make a certain product or service or enterprise itself to be recognized by the public.
In the ecase of the Domain Name the current definition is not proper and it may lead to confusion, infact a Domain Name it is only a word and in such case a brand would be the graphical reproduction of that name, moreover brand tipycally for the reason exposed above cant' sussist if it not representative of a product, a service etc To go more deep inside the concept it is possible to say that a domain name it is brandable if it is representative of or for a certain business, wich the website it is related to and, arguably, being a website(business oriented) typically a brand suitable for the internet is builded on the same criteria of a common brand plus some extra ones ,

Not only because it is brandable a name it is a good name, virtually any name could be brandable, it is true statistically that a well designed brand is more sucesfull than a bad one, that the most the brand is publicized and diffused the most it is sucessfull, I think that best of all is a brand that represent a good product, that people like, this is most valuable on the long run.
There are old brands representing products that people loved maybe 50 years ago and people still remember, with proudness and pleasure even, the most of the products of these days have very well designed brands, big marketing and ads campaign, but the products are just B####HIT and after they disappear nobody even remeber they where existed, replaced by tons of other similars.

Well I won't annoy the audience.

•••
A good way to see what is brandable is to look at other products.
People respond to positive concepts and emotions

Words like Delicous and Tasty work well with food.
Words like Smelly or Vile would not.

Similiar with domain names
Go with something that invokes the desired emotive response.

•••
Heh, good point, Barefoottech.

UglyBeauty
EnjoyHorror
PeacefulWar
FirendlyKiller
TrustfulPresident

•••
•••
Unique, prounceable and short. Doesn't matter if it makes any meaning or not! BTW can anyone tell me what Google means :D

..:: peace ::..
Jeba

•••
I own zymic.com - and is a sucessful brandable site, the name is really just made up.

•••
starfighter
Canstone
Barnate
Stayguy
StunEm
Yansol
PeoplesPeople

•••
BTW, NightLinks is a good and brandable name ;)

•••
Something like my domain : RealwebTalk :p

•••
A domain name can be brandable if it is unique and somehow can be linked to an actual product or service. But, it is really up to the company who uses it. We used to think that a domain name like yahoo is senseless, but it is a big name now. A lot of effort has to be exerted to create and/or develop the brand.

We are branding our domain name quite slowly. Read the last few paragraphs of our About Us section and learn about our domain name. It is a slow process, but we are positive on reaching it.

:)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back