Dynadot

What happened with GoDaddy Auction ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

GeorgeQuang

Established Member
Impact
Hi guys, I'm a newbie and i started to buy names on Godaddy auction 2 months ago.
Then this is the situation what happened too much times to me.
I bought a domain on Godaddy Expired Auction, then followed a domain name. When the auction just had 10 seconds left, i bid it. And it was automatic bid immediately from other guys. The detail of bids is as below :
Comment:
2017/03/08 09:38 AM (PST) 2017/03/08 09:50 AM (PST) Bidder 2 $60
Comment: Automatic Bid
2017/03/08 09:38 AM (PST) 2017/03/08 09:50 AM (PST) Bidder 3 $55
Comment:
2017/03/08 09:38 AM (PST) 2017/03/08 09:50 AM (PST) Bidder 2 $17
Comment: Automatic Bid
2017/03/08 09:38 AM (PST) 2017/03/08 09:50 AM (PST) My Bid $12
Comment:
So how can they do it ? Did they use proxy-bid, other softwares or Godaddy Multi-bid system ?
And if i didn't bid it, would they get it with 12$ fee ?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi George, the bids that are labelled "automatic bid" were done via proxy from bidder 2. It looks like there was also a 3rd bidder that took bidder 2 up to $60, again by proxy. Bidder 3 put their max bid of $55 in but Bidder 2 had a proxy of at least $60 so the bids jumped up to that amount.

If I'm missing the point or you're confused about something else please feel free to reach out to myself or @Joe Styler

•••
Dear Paul, thanks so much for your kindly answer. But i'm wondering that if i didn't bid, would the system automatically bid it for Buyer 2 or Buyer 3 or they would get it for $12 ? When i bid that domain, the auction just had 10 seconds left.
I tried to bid through Multi-bid system, but once i set the max bid price, the system automatic bid 12$ immediately, not at the end of the auction.

•••
From what I can tell, bidder 2 had a proxy bid set prior to your bid, so they would have won the domain for $12 if neither you nor bidder 3 had bid on the domain. In all likelihood, bidder 3 would have bid on the domain at the last second regardless of your bid and run bidder 2 up to the $60 they eventually won it for, but that's just speculation at this juncture.

•••
From what I can tell, bidder 2 had a proxy bid set prior to your bid, so they would have won the domain for $12 if neither you nor bidder 3 had bid on the domain. In all likelihood, bidder 3 would have bid on the domain at the last second regardless of your bid and run bidder 2 up to the $60 they eventually won it for, but that's just speculation at this juncture.
Exactly I know that.

•••
•••
Of course, because i'm a newbie, gentleman! :)
But how can i set the proxy bid like Bidder 2, Paul ?
I tried to use Multi-bid system but it bid immediately, not wait till the end of the auction then get the domain for 12$ like Bidder 2's strategy :( .

•••
The main point here is GD bidders always place their bid at the last second, if you didn't bid it at $12, the bidder 2 and bidder3 still placed their bids because they were waiting for time running out until the last second to place bid. In GD auction,they shortened the amount of time an auction gets extended if one bids in the last 5 minutes, you have to pay attention and keep an eye on that, if you want to make sure you will win the auction, you have to follow the auction until it ends.

•••
Hey Sinh, Vietnamese, right ? i'm Vietnamese too :)
I know that there are tons of bidders that wait till the end of the auction to bid, or check the extended time of the domains in Auction. But the bidders 2 bid the domain immediately with the comment " Automatic Bid". And that is the reason why i asked this question .
If the bidder 2 didn't bid it as quick as the automatic system can, and the comment didn't show "Automatic Bid" like Bidder 3, i would never create this thread.

•••
please feel free to reach out to myself or @Joe Styler
Hi Paul,

Sorry in advance for the slight off-topic, but I rarely see GD people here on the forum (although I definitely do not look closely).

I also have a question regarding GD auctions:

I did a quick check myself and seems that GoDaddy puts a limited number of TLDs to the auction and pre-order (backorder).

What if I'd like to get an expiring .ONLINE domain, registered through GoDaddy? Is there any way I can backorder it like I did a couple of times with .COMs, dropped by other GD clients?

If my description isn't perfectly clear, I mean a procedure, where you can get an expired domain without losing its original creation date for $12 or so (if no one else wants it, of course).

•••
Hey Sinh, Vietnamese, right ? i'm Vietnamese too :)
I know that there are tons of bidders that wait till the end of the auction to bid, or check the extended time of the domains in Auction. But the bidders 2 bid the domain immediately with the comment " Automatic Bid". And that is the reason why i asked this question .
If the bidder 2 didn't bid it as quick as the automatic system can, and the comment didn't show "Automatic Bid" like Bidder 3, i would never create this thread.
Yes, you and the bidder 2 did it at the same time. Rất vui khi thấy người Việt mình trên đây :)

•••
okay, we should close this topic here.
Hehe type tiếng mẹ đẻ không lại nói giả danh người Việt :P rất vui gặp đồng chí ở đây :D

•••
Hi Paul,

Sorry in advance for the slight off-topic, but I rarely see GD people here on the forum (although I definitely do not look closely).

I also have a question regarding GD auctions:

I did a quick check myself and seems that GoDaddy puts a limited number of TLDs to the auction and pre-order (backorder).

What if I'd like to get an expiring .ONLINE domain, registered through GoDaddy? Is there any way I can backorder it like I did a couple of times with .COMs, dropped by other GD clients?

If my description isn't perfectly clear, I mean a procedure, where you can get an expired domain without losing its original creation date for $12 or so (if no one else wants it, of course).

Hi, we're working on increasing our expiry supply by adding more TLDs but it's a bit of dev work due to the complexity of renewing some TLDs with multiple pricing tiers and unique expiration cycles. I don't have any specific timing, but I can say we are looking at all TLDs and how we can potentially get them into the system

•••
would be nice if .PRO was in the auction system. it is not a new gtld

•••
Oooops .. Looks like I never submitted this reply months ago .. Just found this in NP memory (I LOVE THIS FEATURE .. lol) .. figured I'd post it as the info is still pertinent and helpful! :)

2017/03/08 09:38 AM (PST) 2017/03/08 09:50 AM (PST) Bidder 2 $60 Automatic Bid
2017/03/08 09:38 AM (PST) 2017/03/08 09:50 AM (PST) Bidder 3 $55
2017/03/08 09:38 AM (PST) 2017/03/08 09:50 AM (PST) Bidder 2 $17
2017/03/08 09:38 AM (PST) 2017/03/08 09:50 AM (PST) My Bid $12

So how can they do it ? Did they use proxy-bid, other softwares or Godaddy Multi-bid system ?
And if i didn't bid it, would they get it with 12$ fee ?

From what I can tell, bidder 2 had a proxy bid set prior to your bid, so they would have won the domain for $12 ...

Actually .. close .. but no cigar .. sorry .. lol .. but that isn't exactly accurate here as #2 actually bid right after you did.

If Bidder 2 had bid before you, his default first bid would have been $12 and so your $12 would have been blocked and you'd have had to bid $17. If you get into at the forensics of the data, this is exactly what happened:

At 9:38.a you placed an opening $12 bid.
At 9:38.b Bidder 2 placed a bid of an unknown amount * $61 or more (Actively $17)
At 9:38.c Bidder 3 placed a bid of $55 (Actively $55 because of an existing proxy bid for more)
At 9:38.c (same time) An automatic bid of $60 was placed by GoDaddy for Bidder 2 because he/she originally bid $61 or more

* For the longest time (at least a good year from the time I found it .. maybe even longer .. not sure as I wasn't a serious domainer back then) there used to be a secret bug in their system where you could actually see the exact "supposedly secret/private) proxy bid amount. But at one point they randomly updated the look and that information isn't "visible" anymore .. possibly those using API access can still access the hard data as the actual "fix" only happened coincidentally because of an updated templates.
(@Paul Nicks and @Joe Styler .. it would be great if you could get around to answering my questions here:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/the-unfair-advantage-a-domainers-life.1039343/page-2#post-6425803)

Also note that based on the data you're showing there was actually 12 minutes left in the auction when all this happened .. not 10 seconds as you stated. I'll admit the fact 2 other bidders also bid at the same minute as you did 12 minutes before the end looks weird (would be normal with 5-6 minutes left).

Did you possibly mix up domains? Maybe you encountered one of their bugs I'll mention next ...

Be EXTREMELY CAREFUL when bidding on multiple auctions or even having multiple auction windows open. GoDaddy's platform is ridiculously buggy and full of logic flaws. Often it can even mix up your bidding submission on one domain with a completely different domain that you previously opened. If you're involved in multiple auctions it's too easy to miss this bug and when you think you placed a bid with a few seconds left, the bid might have actually been sent to another domain in reality. Unfortunately I have lost many great domains because of this ...

I have actually won domains I didn't even think I was bidding on .. costing me hundreds (and obviously GoDaddy says that because you went through checkout you agreed with their terms bla bla ... and sometimes you are stuck having to pay). So particularly if you are new to their system, take your time to double check the exact domain on each new page you open even if it's from a direct link from a specific domain. If you fly through checkout because you need to get to other auctions you can too easily miss this .. most particularly if you're on a cell phone/mobile where user friendliness is pretty much non-existent! :(

Also be careful waiting for the last 10 seconds to place a bid as their system can be glitchy at times.

If anyone successfully places a bid with 10 seconds to go, the auction clock resets to 5m10s. In fact any bid placed in the final 5 minutes of an auction resets the auction clock to in between 5 and 6 minutes. So a bid with 4m42s remaining would reset to 5m42s, and a bid with 2m42s remaining would also reset to 5m42s.

Last edited:
•••
I'd have to look at the auction to know what happened. There could be other things at play here like backorders. If you give me the domain I can look in the back end and see what happened with the bid history. Automatic Bid is a proxy bid so there were proxy bids the fact that the bids all seem to have the same timestamp would indicate that as well. If someone would like to send me the name I can look into it more.
I did answer your other question on the other thread twice already I believe so I ignored it. I can only say the same thing so many times, there is no ability to see someone's proxy bid on the API. It doesn't really seem like there would be from an observer of the auctions as well, otherwise many of the biggest bidders on the API would have a clear advantage, and I suspect there would be among other things a thread on How Come I get outbid by the exact amount over my proxy bid all the time? etc. It's not really like you can hide something like that. This is the last time I am going to address this, I don't know how else to say it. No one on the API can see your proxy bid.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back