IT.COM

discuss What?? Don't Contact Domain Owners Says Bill Sweetman at NameNinja

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
Came across this article and was a little surprised by it. Bill Sweetman at NameNinja, posted an article titled "Seven Deadly Mistakes To Avoid When Buying A Domain Name".

Here is a summary of the 7 Points:

1. Never try to contact the domain owner directly.

2. Don’t keep re-visiting the landing page or Website associated with your target domain name.

3. Don’t submit an inquiry or offer for the domain name via your domain registrar or the domain’s landing page

4. Don’t publicly announce the name of your new venture until you’ve gotten your target domain name.

5. Don’t register a bunch of alternative TLD versions of your target domain immediately prior to you attempting to acquire the target domain.

6. Hold off on filing a trademark until you’ve gotten the matching domain name.

7. Don’t get ‘married’ to your target domain until you know for sure you can get it.

I don't know about you, but I'm not sure I'm on board with these recommendations. What do you think?

Here's the original article:

http://www.sweetmantra.com/2017/02/...n-buying-a-domain-name-from-someone-else.html

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
What he is saying is you should hire a broker, because only they have the true super powers required to buy, and sell a domain name. Go figure.

•••
So if you don't contact the owner and don't submit an offer via a domain marketplace, how exactly do you plan to acquire the domain?

•••
So if you don't contact the owner and don't submit an offer via a domain marketplace, how exactly do you plan to acquire the domain?

he said don't contact owner directly

marketplace and broker ok

•••
No way. Do the exact opposite. Guess what I think when your broker comes to me with an offer? They must really want/need this domain. The price just went up!

•••
he said "contact me" and i will help you "for less".

•••
Most of them make sense. Not sure about number 1 though.

•••
I can see the value in those 7, but there are ways to email or fill out the landing page under the radar.

•••
Never use a broker to get the domain you want, always try and get the name yourself..its just a simple email :xf.wink:

I just cant understand giving someone else a % when you can do exactly the same thing

Last edited:
•••
Brokers don't get paid unless they have domains to buy, or sell, that should be RULE #1

•••
Never use a broker to get the domain you want, always try and get the name yourself..its just a simple email :xf.wink:

I just cant understand giving someone else a % when you can do exactly the same thing
I don't think so. Sometimes you don't have the best solution to negotiate with the owner, then you should need a broker who has enough experience and abilities to attack the owner.

•••
I don't think so. Sometimes you don't have the best solution to negotiate with the owner, then you should need a broker who has enough experience and abilities to attack the owner.
Brokers can't attack, they have to walk a very fine line, if they offend the buyer/seller, they lose the deal, and they don't get paid.

If you understand your domain, and have confidence in it, you can sell it better than anyone else. Brokers don't take on crappy domains.

•••
#1 only makes sense if you are a multi million or billion dollar business and you don't want to give it away. How many extra zero's would you add if Bill Gates, Mark Z, Eon M., etc contacted you.
$ :greedy:,:greedy::greedy::greedy:,:greedy::greedy::greedy:.00

Paydirt!

•••
7. Don’t get ‘married’ to your target domain until you know for sure you can get it.

Well, with marriage being out of bounds, there is always an option for having an affair :)

•••
Apart from #1 and #3, it's pretty fair advice IMO.

But seriously, if the broker doesn't send an email, what magical means of contact does he/she have? O_o Will they give me a call? Show up at my house? Find me on Tinder? :ROFL:

•••
Brokers can't attack, they have to walk a very fine line, if they offend the buyer/seller, they lose the deal, and they don't get paid.

If you understand your domain, and have confidence in it, you can sell it better than anyone else. Brokers don't take on crappy domains.
Thank you. I mean that when I want to buy a domain which I really like it but I don't know how to negotiate with the seller. I didn't mention about selling a domain.

•••

Its a no brainer for me, I know my budget, I know when I can walk away, I know what alternatives domain I can use? I have all the power when it comes to negotiating. You can also negotiate from an anonymous email if you want.

•••
Number 1 does not say "hire a broker"

It means (if you were Gates) dont say Hi I am Bill Gates with a Microsoft email address.

Looks all good advice

•••
Its a no brainer for me, I know my budget, I know when I can walk away, I know what alternatives domain I can use? I have all the power when it comes to negotiating. You can also negotiate from an anonymous email if you want.
That is you, and if someone doesn't have enough knowledge to negotiate to get a bottom price, they still have to hire a broker to work with the seller.

•••
Great advice for those just starting to hit the aftermarket/contacting domain owners( young domainers like me). I will say though...that hiring a broker in my opinion, should be done as a last resort when you've exhausted all other resources trying to acquire a name.

•••
that is you, and if someone doesn't have enough knowledge to negotiate to get a bottom price, they still have to hire a broker to work with the seller.

Yes, I was just answering from my perspective as we all are on here, it really does depend on what people feel comfortable doing. I would even suggest it to someone new to the industry, give it go, thats where you get the experience from, thats how you learn to negotiate...but its up to individual :xf.smile:

Last edited:
•••
...I don't know about you, but I'm not sure I'm on board with these recommendations. What do you think?
I think most are spot on, no-brainers, really. However, I strongly disgree with #1 and #6.

•••
i wouldn't disagree with #6 - don't you think people are trolling TM submissions and then reg'ing the respected names.

•••
So wait, most of you agree with:

Do not make an offer via a landing page?

I have landers for that very purpose. Many articles say that most offers come through landing pages. Right?

•••
So wait, most of you agree with:

Do not make an offer via a landing page?

I have landers for that very purpose. Many articles say that most offers come through landing pages. Right?

You want people to.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back