Dynadot

.me What do you think? Should I be buying up 2 & 3 letter .Me ?

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
I was just searching for the last of the 3 and 4 letter & number acronyms and noticed that there are alot of .me's open.

Is anyone buying any of these?

Waste of Money? Future gold Mine?

Becky :hi:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Becky, It was a gold mine for Bob at least. Some .me's have done rather well in resale value and other .me's actually require you to have a business plan to be able to "purchase" the premium names.

•••
If you can buy a 2 letter .me, do it now! From what I've heard, only one 2 letter .me, di.me, will be sold. For 3 and 4 letter, I'd say: be picky.

My personnal rule with .me is that the domain should be (or a leat should sound like) a verb.. But this is just me.

I have pux.me, zop.me and mod.me for example. mod.me being the best one by far.

But with domains like cloud.me sold $22.000, we don't know! Maybe random CCC.me will be a goldmine in the future... I wouldn't bet on this though, even if I'm a big .me fan.

•••
-Adam- Who's "bob"?

Thanks for the great advice! I'll start buying!!!!!

THis forum rocks.!

•••
-Adam- Who's "bob"?

Thanks for the great advice! I'll start buying!!!!!

THis forum rocks.!

Hi Becky,

I would actually advise against purchasing 3-character .ME names. Since .ME is a relatively new extension, not yet in use by a single major corporation, in purchasing short .MEs -- even ones which "sound like" verbs, which are probably all taken by now -- you're banking on two things happening: (1) .ME becoming ubiquitous over the next 5-10 years -- which no other extension besides .COM/.NET/.ORG really has -- AND (2) companies will want specifically the short .MEs you purchase -- e.g. because its spells those companies' initials. So you'd be teetering on two layers of speculation when a one layer is dangerous enough! Not to mention that even if a company did purchase a .ME from you, you'd need to hold on to your .MEs for several years before that point, all the while paying those hefty $19.99 renewal fees. Sure, you could dump your .MEs on the reseller market at some point, but selling to domainers requires lots of effort and results in only small profit margins (if any profit at all).

Beginners especially should relegate their registrations to the big-3.

There are plenty of .COM/.NET/.ORG domain names you purchase or drop-catch today and cash out on next week for 5-10x the price you caught them for. So why back yourself into speculation corner? If you're going to invest in .ME, at least make sure you have a cushion of non-speculative .COM/.NET/.ORG domains you could liquidate to end-users in case .ME fades from human consciousness.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like some more drop-catching advice.

•••
Rebepa,
If your going to buy 3 letter .me, or any domain for example have a strategy. Work out how long you are planning to keep them. There are some interesting sales for .me which is positive for .me owners (I'm one of them) but remember they may not become a "gold mine over night" (If atall)... And the cost of renewal could mount up.

The bob I believe Adam is talking about is Bob Parsons Owner of Godaddy.com (Domain Registrar)

Last edited:
•••
For development purposes, it has to be a .com

For investment purposes, it ties in with the above.

I just don't see any value in these new, or 'weird' extensions.
For either development or investment.
The rare ones you do see sold, those are the exception to the rule.

Like that one guy, Bruce Marler, who develops 'UsState.me' names - that's iffy. I wouldn't buy them, much less develop them. And as a consumer, if I see my local state or city.me, I wouldn't look too highly of the site.

If it's working for him, great - but he's going against the grain, and making himself unnecessary resistance.

Last edited:
•••
Can we buy 2 letter .me domains?

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back