Dynadot

advice What do you guys think about domain investing right now?

NameSilo
Watch

domaintrustfund

Established Member
Impact
After some time has passed, i have gotten the chance to see the .APP domains growing but not the market.

In general what do you think about small TLD’s like .APP?

How can we track the number of .APP domains that registered?

Also how do you guys whether you guys want to quick sell or go in for the long haul in a domain?

Last but not least, do you guys try to sell domains to other domain investors? And how do you guys get connected to other domain investors in a sector?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
After some time has passed, i have gotten the chance to see the .APP domains growing but not the market.

Also how do you guys whether you guys want to quick sell or go in for the long haul in a domain?

Last but not least, do you guys try to sell domains to other domain investors? And how do you guys get connected to other domain investors in a sector?
For beginner .APP extension is same like (DONT TRY THIS AT HOME) :)

•••
What's wrong with .com? Why not start investing in .com?

•••
.APP no thanks don't waste your time and money on this :baby:

•••
•••

You can't be profitable in .app, the registry paid $25M for the extension, and they have tagged all the good keywords with high premium renewals. The launch was good, many people paid the EAP fee, plus premium, and another high premium is due this year again, making their job of selling even harder. Given low sell thru rates, and high premium renewals, the outcome of success does not look good for most.

•••
Listen, this one is going to be successful, it has to be since it's backed by Google.
But so was .mobi :-P

If you look at reported sales, maybe a dozen TLDs concentrate the sales activity. Which means most are not on the radar and not investment-worthy.
This is a no-brainer.

•••
I think the industry will see double digit annualized growth over the next decade before basically collapsing in the ultra long term as alternative protocols outpace the ability of authoritarians to prevent their proliferation. I do not expect that to happen in the 2020s.

I expect .com to harvest the majority of the appreciation gains in the near term, with a value inversion towards alternative tlds in the longer term.

That said, the supply of alternative tlds makes them a second rate junk market at best as the capitol flow into them will be distributed across a broader basket of viable names than with king com.

This limits their investability to betting on wakes created via tertiary network effects. The most viable of which involve proprietary device networks and innovations in cryptographic chains that allow interoperability with centralized dns systems.

Acts of god such as World war, electro magnetic disruptions, or large scale societal collapse present systemic risk to the sector as a whole disproportionate to other asset classes.

TLDR I think the sector as a whole is massively undervalued and going to grow like crazy with .coms being the big winners.

Last edited:
•••
New tlds and less people directly typing domain names really hurt whole market. But as in every market we should look in the future not the past, so investing big in new tlds is not a good idea in my opinion.

•••

It is not even a year since the launch of .app. New gTLDs are not exactly right asset for those who are in for a quick flip. It is more long term investment, imo. It is also highly speculative. One should invest only in best possible keywords and combinations, and make sure they have low renewals.

It is better to have 2 or 3 really good .app names, then 100 bad ones. Those 2 or 3 good names will attract all the profit in the future anyway, so why to pay renewals for 97 bad ones ? :)

Also, .app is only one of hundreds new gTLD extensions. It is designed for ...apps. Other extensions are designed for something else. It is not very meaningful to ask how .app will be doing...as you could ask the same as for how .cloud, .doctor or .properties will be doing...it does not work this way. What one should be asking is, have I managed to get good combination of keyword and extension? As this good combination will probably sell one day.

•••
I suppose that generally speaking all extensions have premium and not premium names but in general the .app extension is turning out to be pretty weak. Not in the toilet like some extensions but it’s unfortunately shaping up to be a contradiction in terms to use the word premium and dot app.

It is turning out to be good...for Google
https://www.thedomains.com/2018/05/...-app-in-just-early-access-fees-through-day-2/

not so much for domainers
https://onlinedomain.com/2018/05/14/domain-name-news/app-domains-are-for-dreamers/

•••
•••

If you are 19 like your blog suggests you are - focus your attention elsewhere your net long term EV+ will be much higher.

Domains are not going anywhere - Build something or get your 10,000 hours in one specific skill and master something.

If this is to make money to fund something else immediately, Buy dropped names on venues like NameJet ".com".

Take the knowledge you can find here and apply it in the real world. The biggest investors (some are on here) have portfolios in the $100's of millions and they are not interested in .app names - don't waste your time

Last edited:
•••
It is not even a year since the launch of .app. New gTLDs are not exactly right asset for those who are in for a quick flip. It is more long term investment, imo. It is also highly speculative. One should invest only in best possible keywords and combinations, and make sure they have low renewals.

It is better to have 2 or 3 really good .app names, then 100 bad ones. Those 2 or 3 good names will attract all the profit in the future anyway, so why to pay renewals for 97 bad ones ? :)

Also, .app is only one of hundreds new gTLD extensions. It is designed for ...apps. Other extensions are designed for something else. It is not very meaningful to ask how .app will be doing...as you could ask the same as for how .cloud, .doctor or .properties will be doing...it does not work this way. What one should be asking is, have I managed to get good combination of keyword and extension? As this good combination will probably sell one day.
(y)

•••
It is designed for ...apps. Other extensions are designed for something else.

I find it really hard to understand, when domain investors try to be specific about an extension. they all work the bl**dy same way. Sure end users go for their best match but they are going to be vary wary of using an extension that says if you ain't 'Mobile' don't bother.

All devices recognize your browser, mobile or not. So why tell your user - Don't try this at home (as mentioned above)

•••

Well thought.

To OP, your branding site YourBrand.app looks nicely designed. Take UserScape.com for example as well you are not alone in this one, in our community we have about combined numbers of 10K~15K .APP domains registered altogether. Keep the premium/valuable keywords and slowly trade-off the others, take it as mid-to-long term investments and weigh out the risk. Good luck.

•••
I registered a bunch (around 50) .apps before I figured out what I was doing (sticking to .com) and I'm going to let about 95% of them drop. I mostly regged them because I had "app ideas" to actually build out but I just don't have time for it.

This is how you track the number of .app's registered: ntldstats.com/tld/app

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back