IT.COM

.de What do Germans preferre .com or .de

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hello what do people in germany preferre to use .com or .de? Do you think its wise to register a german generic .com name?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
.de is one of the top selling cctld in the world so they do prefer .de geographically

•••
Having just been to Germany, nearly ALL advertising, whether this be radio, tv or print is referring to .de extensions. It's actually at the point where I've heard quite some advertising, with domains mentioned, where the domains included the dreaded hyphen! Except, the ads didn't refer to it as hyphen but as "minus".

Anyways, Germany seems to be a different animal when it comes to their dedication to .de. One can only wish that the USA would treat their own .US with as much attention.

M.

•••
Mike said:
Having just been to Germany, nearly ALL advertising, whether this be radio, tv or print is referring to .de extensions. It's actually at the point where I've heard quite some advertising, with domains mentioned, where the domains included the dreaded hyphen! Except, the ads didn't refer to it as hyphen but as "minus".

Anyways, Germany seems to be a different animal when it comes to their dedication to .de. One can only wish that the USA would treat their own .US with as much attention.

M.

From what i have seen, i agree with Mike on this. Germany has taken their ccTLD to a new level and has started a trend around the world. Seeing similar things happening all over Europe.

As far as the .us goes, i think the USA has adopted the .com as the default extension. Though many .us do get quite a bit of type in traffic, shhhh don't tell anyone though ;).

•••
•••
They prefer .de, and one clearly expects to find a domain in German - but especially for a website covering not just Germany, but all German-speaking countries, .com or another top extension still makes sense, IMO.

•••
if content is country specific then people would consider .de

•••
.de is the most popular ext here in Germany

companies tend to register the .com too usually and I see a lot of tv commercials promoting their .tv sites for example snow-show.tv

another very important extension for us is .eu
After following the SEDO market for a while I think it's safe to say that at least some german companies like to use .eu domains if they are doing international business

We also prefer to use hyphens! While domainers like Latona only register and sell .com's without any hyphens this would be completely unthinkable here.

Of course you will also see sales without hyphens, recently:
MMOSpiele.de (= MMOGames.de)

Majority likes hyphens thou! I do too, because it makes more sense and is good for SEO reasons.

Recently I wanted to rank for a keyword and found out that all domain ext. with hyphens and without are developed. Guess what? Those with hyphens ranked higher! Position 1,2,3 with - 4,5,6 without hyphens.
Could be coincidence but I still like them :)

•••
Yeah Germans pretty prefer the .DE

Its the same trend all over Europe...

•••
According to verisign, .de is the top ccTLD as far as numbers are concerned with .cn coming a close second....

As far as all the TLD's are concerned, .com tops the list with .de being second...

•••
They definitely like .COM as it has the maximum recall value but then they prefer .de equally!!

•••
I have a single dictionary .com German Domain . I hope there is at least some demand for these in the future ;) it is nice & short too 5L

•••
German prefer of course .de
germanwords+.de is best! don't forget.
many times it happens that foreigner buy english words+.de
sometimes it sounds like ok but many times it is not.

.com comes after .de
when keyword is really good, com has also chance to be sold.

.info is also good!
Versicherung(it means insurance).info for example.
or Gesundheit(health).info

my chinaforum.info is now in auction.
of course this name is offered by german.

when you want to register german keyword domain, don't forget .de is first and for the future they also register .eu very often

•••
.de always above .com in Germany. Their loyalty to their own extention is very rarely seen elsewhere. I know of companies who refused a LLL.com with their own name, because "we have our name with .de already, we don't care about .com". Germans will ALWAYS put .de first.

The further into eastern Europe, the more the same phenomenon happens. For example in Poland or Czech Republic, the local ccTLD also by far overpowers .com.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back