Domain Empire

information What are the qualities of worthy domains?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Ritik bhardwaj

Established Member
Impact
Dear domainers,

I wanna know what are the qualities of worthy domains.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Worth depends on the buyers need and capacity.
But you can have some key points while registering or buying domain names to make sure they can be easily sold.

1. Short names
2. 1 or max 2 words
3. Dictionary words (or)
4. Meaningful names
5. Avoid plural names unless it makes sense only when its plural
6. Avoid ed,ly,ing etc names unless it makes sense only when they are added
7. .Com always has its demand. If buying in other tld's make sure the name is just single dictionary word.
8. Avoid numbers and hyphens
9. Name should not be confusing
10. Name should be easily pronounceable.

•••
Worth depends on the buyers need and capacity.
But you can have some key points while registering or buying domain names to make sure they can be easily sold.

1. Short names
2. 1 or max 2 words
3. Dictionary words (or)
4. Meaningful names
5. Avoid plural names unless it makes sense only when its plural
6. Avoid ed,ly,ing etc names unless it makes sense only when they are added
7. .Com always has its demand. If buying in other tld's make sure the name is just single dictionary word.
8. Avoid numbers and hyphens
9. Name should not be confusing
10. Name should be easily pronounceable.
So it depends on buyers and the key points given by you.:xf.smile:

But what is the reason for the 6th point?

Last edited:
•••
So it depends on buyers and the key points given by you.:xf.smile:

But what is the reason for the 6th point?
Sometimes when the main word/name is already registered and sold for a good price, some people try to register its other forms For ex: Connect .com & Connected .com, Connecting .com, etc ) with an expectation that it will sell for a high price. But most often they will end up dropped by the owner after an year.

•••
Sometimes when the main word/name is already registered and sold for a good price, some people try to register its other forms For ex: Connect .com & Connected .com, Connecting .com, etc ) with an expectation that it will sell for a high price. But most often they will end up dropped by the owner after an year.
Okay thankyou, Got it.

•••
In most cases value comes down to brandability. Because what most people are looking for is brand.com.

For brands the following guidelines apply:
  • Make sure it's short. A good rule of thumb is 10 characters, 3 syllables, and 2 words (or fewer).
  • Phonemes are important, it should be phonetically legible.
  • Morphemes are important, e.g. in most cases it's a good idea to avoid inflectional affixes if possible.
  • In case of a two-word brand, prosodic patterns are important. Things like alliterations and rhymes make it more valuable.
  • Use figurative (and clever) language, e.g. Mile High communicates the idea of wealth and excess.
  • Avoid misspellings or "alternate" spellings.
Then you have some general guidelines pertaining to domains:
  • .com has the highest market value, often hundreds of times above that of the second most valuable TLD.
  • Avoid traits diverging from the norm, like the use of hyphens or the mixing of letters and numbers.
  • Avoid niches. General brands appeal to more end-users and are therefore easier to sell.
  • Avoid trends. Domains containing phrases like cbd, vr, nft, ai, etc. are difficult to sell because few companies actually brand themselves like this, but more importantly because there's just too much competition in this space.
  • Omit unnecessary words, thealmighty.com is worth less than 1% of almighty.com.

Last edited:
•••
In most cases value comes down to brandability. Because what most people are looking for is brand.com.
You must of sold many worthy domains

•••
You must of sold many worthy domains
Stop being a grammar nazi. The opening poster is clearly asking about valuable domains.

•••
You will not get the same answer from any two domainers. I disagree with several things I see above. If your looking for fast track answers on a board it isn’t going to be sufficient.

You need experience that can’t be explained imo. Also all the rules in the world don’t stop head scratcher sales from happening all the time.

Some domainers are too inflexible others too foolhardy. The main thing to know is there are no sure things, no fixed rules and no guarantees.

What’s “worthy” is always up to the end user not us.

Last edited:
•••
there are no worthy domains ..only worthy domainers

•••
You will not get the same answer from any two domainers. I disagree with several things I see above. If your looking for fast track answers on a board it isn’t going to be sufficient.

You need experience that can’t be explained imo. Also all the rules in the world don’t stop head scratcher sales from happening all the time.

Some domainers are too inflexible others too foolhardy. The main thing to know is there are no sure things, no fixed rules and no guarantees.

What’s “worthy” is always up to the end user not us.
You right to some extent but I believe we need to at least know what we won't get regardless. So I believe one should have guidelines to know domains that are not worthy because If one don't really know worthy names at least one should be able to know unworthy names.

My thoughts though

•••
You right to some extent but I believe we need to at least know what we won't get regardless. So I believe one should have guidelines to know domains that are not worthy because If one don't really know worthy names at least one should be able to know unworthy names.

My thoughts though
I'm with you on this one. Intuition can be helpful, but unless you understand why a domain is valuable you won't be able to communicate the value to a potential end-user.

•••

My thoughts though
The guidelines are arbitrary in many cases and some people just want things handed to them on a silver platter.

An example is “avoid dashes”. We have a dashes domain king who is constantly flipping them. For every “guideline” and “rule” their are multiple exceptions. Do I buy dashes? No. But they do sell.

Should we maintain some sort of criteria we personally believe in? Sure but to think this is anything more than educated guessing and that there is set guidelines for all is just not so.

•••
In my opinion, a worthy domain should be memorable, easy to spell, and relevant to the website's purpose

•••
Hi

what are the qualities of a worthy question?

imo...

•••
The guidelines are arbitrary in many cases and some people just want things handed to them on a silver platter.

An example is “avoid dashes”. We have a dashes domain king who is constantly flipping them. For every “guideline” and “rule” their are multiple exceptions. Do I buy dashes? No. But they do sell.

Should we maintain some sort of criteria we personally believe in? Sure but to think this is anything more than educated guessing and that there is set guidelines for all is just not so.
Right, but you're blurring the lines here. The rules aren't absolute, they're general guidelines.

You said it yourself, you don't buy dashed domains despite them (occasionally) selling. Why is that? Could it be because they're generally more difficult to sell? Could it be that they don't command high prices? And if so, why? And more importantly, what makes a domain valuable and easy to sell? You ask these questions and then you look for patterns in the market, and from those patterns you design the guidelines.

•••
Braden (Swetha) seems to be one of the few that have 'ed' past tense names.

•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back