IT.COM

question-answered What are the benefits of using private nameservers and how do one set them up?

NameSilo
Watch

Dmchaka

Established Member
Impact
I will like to have my private name servers so need to know its advantages.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
The only benefit I see is just a fancy/branding for your domain name. Other than that I don't find much use unless you are into web hosting industry or have multiple apps running for a company's internal network operations.

•••
Benefits of Using Private Nameservers:

1. Branding: Private nameservers allow you to use your domain name for the nameserver addresses, enhancing your brand's visibility and professionalism.
  2. Control and Flexibility: With private nameservers, you have complete control over DNS settings, allowing you to customize and manage your domain's DNS records independently.
  3. Security: Using private nameservers can improve security by reducing exposure to potential attacks on publicly known nameservers.
  4. Improved Performance: Private nameservers can lead to faster DNS resolution, as they are specific to your hosting environment and not shared with other users.
  5. Simplified Website Migration: If you need to change hosting providers, having private nameservers makes it easier to migrate your websites without affecting their functionality.
Setting Up Private Nameservers:

1. Registrar Settings: Access your domain registrar's control panel and navigate to the section for managing nameservers.
  2. Create Nameserver Hostnames: Assign custom names to your private nameservers (e.g., ns1.yourdomain.com and ns2.yourdomain.com).
  3. IP Address Assignment: Obtain the IP addresses of your hosting provider's nameservers (usually provided by the hosting company).
  4. DNS Configuration: Update the DNS settings of your domain to point to the IP addresses of your private nameservers.
  5. Propagation: DNS changes may take some time to propagate across the internet. Typically, it takes up to 48 hours for changes to take full effect.
  6. Verify Setup: Use online DNS checking tools to ensure that your private nameservers are correctly configured and resolving properly.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back