IT.COM

discuss Well hasn't this year been...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DanBingham

Top Member
Impact
a slow one don't you think?

Yes, admitably we have made sales and in profit but this is extremely disappointing considering where we were this time last year. Domaining is very unpredictable as we all know, and I suppose it's all too greedy to expect sales to remain consistent year on year.

Looking forward to seeing what 2018 brings now that we have added some quality names to our portfolio..

(y)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
"My aim is to create an email of approximately 4, maximum 5 short paragraphs." - wow that's a pretty long email! for this purpose.

When I do it, I just let them know that I own the domain and that I wanted to know if they are interested, because they own a similar domain or their company name matches the domain. 2-3 sentences.

I'd tell you, I own many different businesses, including one that is pretty well known in its industry, and I get unsolicited email offers all the time, I do not read past the first few lines, if I read at all. A very short email like I send out offering my domain, I would read and either respond to, or ignore. I respect their effort, and it's a short email doesn't waste my time.

A long one like the one you describe, I immediately copy/paste report with full headers to Spam Cop!

Last edited:
•••
I appreciate your outlook/method xynames - and of course you are equally following the method of literally tens of thousands of others. I do indeed have a lot of time on my hands. But, funny enough the first emails I always delete are the 'domain for sale' type and I get dozens of them a day. My aim is to get the email opened without being deceptive but not necessarily totally upfront and brash either.

I can honestly say - I don't recall not getting an answer. No, it isn't something I do everyday just as and when funds come in handy.
you'd be surprised how quick it is to scan short paragraphs (Which are little more than long-sentences)

still as you say your a business owner and I've spent a hell of a lot of time in professional marketing (Thorn EMI) It's very rare that a whole message is relevant to a decision maker - that's why you make it easy to scan

Last edited:
•••
A good question
First, we probably all acknowledge that the email header and opening lines are the 'interest seeker' (I hate those words 'Attention Grabber'). My aim is to create an email of approximately 4, maximum 5 short paragraphs. And I do mean short, No more than 3/4 lines per paragraph with a half line space between each paragraph. I don't open with any sort of introduction about me or the domain but a short, acknowledgement about their business
I will, already be fully aware of their business model, profit, operations etc. This sounds like a lot of work but, it really isn't. My difficulty is in summarising all that I've learnt into a short introduction paragraph. I change the tone depending on the size of the business. (we mustn't forget how different size businesses operate) I then use the acknowledgement introduction to lead into the following 1/2 sales pitch paragraphs. The final paragraph includes my full contact details including phone numbers and generally a good/friendly and appropriate sign-off with the offer price always included

The 'Occasional' beautiful feeling when you see you have received four or five unanswered calls from an unknown number (usually due to global time-differences) makes the morning coffee taste so much better

Very interesting..like XY said Iv'e always heard best success stories from a quick "the domain lalala is for sale, is your company interested? Give us a call",
but it's always interesting to hear other successful ways around outbound emailing
Thanks for sharing and may more success follow your way :-,

•••
Thank you Vlad.
It's difficult to comment on methodology without actually taking in the whole picture. If I'm going to spend two hours identifying the 'potential buyer/s', I certainly think it worthwhile to spend an equal amount of time customising my email to their business. When I send an email sales proposition, it has one recipient.

I think many here are into the 'Blanket Coverage' method. It's comparing Chalk-to-Cheese

•••
Thank you Vlad.
It's difficult to comment on methodology without actually taking in the whole picture. If I'm going to spend two hours identifying the 'potential buyer/s', I certainly think it worthwhile to spend an equal amount of time customising my email to their business. When I send an email sales proposition, it has one recipient.

I think many here are into the 'Blanket Coverage' method. It's comparing Chalk-to-Cheese

It would be interesting to see one you've sent out, you could just copy and paste one of them and just x out any personal/business identifiable information.

This year, my best year ever. Don't do much outbound but will be doing more. I like to keep it short and sweet. I think sometimes people put too much into it, which method is the best, and if you have a good name, that's what usually gets them. You have to do less selling if you have a good name and it's targetted right (outbound)

Last edited:
•••
Hi JB Lions
I'm more than happy to share a template - I treat any sales email as a person to person communication (not drifting into personal) It's not surprising that most business decision makers today can scan-read as fast as reading any email header. My aim is to get opened and hopefully press at least 'two buttons' in an easy read format. Equally I want to be read as somebody that has taken an interest in their interests. (Which I have) It takes work.
10:30pm here in the uk with an average Chablis to hand - so tomorrow I'll scan through my sends. My methods won't suit anyone uncomfortable with direct negotiations

Last edited:
•••
Hi JB Lions
I'm more than happy to share a template - I treat any sales email as a person to person communication (not drifting into personal) It's not surprising that most business decision makers today can scan-read as fast as reading any email header. My aim is to get opened and hopefully press at least 'two buttons' in an easy read format. Equally I want to be read as somebody that has taken an interest in their interests. (Which I have) It takes work.
10:30pm here in the uk with an average Chablis to hand - so tomorrow I'll scan through my sends. My methods won't suit anyone uncomfortable with direct negotiations

Are you a full time domainer?

•••
umm, yes and no. It's a long-story i wouldn't share on a public board, just lets say, i'm pretty much fit and able with lots of free time. (no not in jail/clink/hospital/care/restricted) I do like being part of the well meaning and educated domain community, so do - Good boards come and go. I try to add something and learn the market trends.

nothing wrong in staying up-to-date and definitely namepros has a good core. after a couple of years travelling - I'm pleased to be back in the UK, so see myself trying to add and learn some more here

Last edited:
•••
Toughest year so far, but it's not over..

But it definitely encouraged me to look into multiple streams of income, rather than waiting for someone to come and buy my name.

•••
Toughest year so far, but it's not over..

But it definitely encouraged me to look into multiple streams of income, rather than waiting for someone to come and buy my name.

I've always used the excuse , that I'm waiting for the internet to get it's act together before I step into developing. 'I hate not being perfect' is starting to look a bit thin given all the rough (make-do ) rides that are out there, not to mention all the tools, at a click.

I've always registered domains that I thought worthwhile - so i'm still quite motivated by all of them in a way - The domain sales have kept me happily placated = xxx,xxx (which ever side of the Atlantic your on)
Costs = mid xx,xxx + hours upon hours

Last edited:
•••
Wanted to add ,
In a 'Pretty much enjoyable environment' edit timed-out on me

ack - I even hate looking back at posting spell/punctuation errors, its/it's etc. If they're mine

Last edited:
•••
It just goes to show how unpredictable domaining can be. In the last 2 weeks, received 1 inbound offer via our portfolio site for mid $$$ on a .co.uk domain we own, and secured a sale though outbound for low $$$, again on a .co.uk domain.

Interestingly, our UK based names are out performing our .com's this year.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back