Dynadot

Web Hosts offering unlimited domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

sahostking

Established Member
Impact
How do web hosts offer unlimited hosting for resellers on cpanel? Reason I ask is this basically allowed 1 or 2 resellers which are on the same server to overwhelm the server with 1000s of websites if they want to?

Is limiting resellers by accounts/domains not the best approach or is there a way to properly offer unlimited domains?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You can have thousands of sites on one server, but if they are heavily trafficked sites, then you'd have to balance things out. It's likely that the host is using a load balancing type setup.

One should limit things based on usage, not on numbers. Then you can adapt as you go...

•••
How do web hosts offer unlimited hosting for resellers on cpanel? Reason I ask is this basically allowed 1 or 2 resellers which are on the same server to overwhelm the server with 1000s of websites if they want to?

Is limiting resellers by accounts/domains not the best approach or is there a way to properly offer unlimited domains?

A host offering plans with unlimited domains is typically not a problem. What is a problem is the amount of space and bandwidth and resources there are. For example, Your host may give you unlimited domains, but you still might have a restriction on space or file nodes or bandwidth, or CPU usage. So basically they are saying to you "We can let you have as many domains hosted with us as you want as long as it fits within your resource usage limits." Some people might want to have 1,000 domains hosted on one account with each domain only having 1 web page. Someone else might want a more intensive site that requires a lot more resources so he/she may only be able to use 20 domains on their hosting account. When your out of bandwidth, then your out of bandwidth. Your account gets suspended.

Some hosts offer something like unlimited space and bandwidth. In that case, they are overselling their resources which is dangerous since there is no such thing as unlimited space and bandwidth. What is actually taking place is that you are given unmetered space and bandwidth. They are not putting a hard limit on your account. But if resources run out, then your out of luck. Having no virtual space limit still doesn't eliminate having a physical limit on the hard drive. But I am sure they will do their best to add more servers to the cluster to handle those extra resources that are needed if they do not have any problem with what you are doing.

So if you are the one providing the hosting, I would suggest offering reseller accounts with unlimited domains if you want but DO put restrictions on space and bandwidth. :)

Last edited:
•••
As I know most unlimited web hosts limit CPU usage in order to make sure they can host enough websites on single server. Some of them have also some restrictions regarding the files, e. g. no more 100,000 files is allowed or the website owner may not upload files which are not a part of the online presentation.

•••
Well, we do not offer traditional reseller hosting (only VPS and dedicated servers) so I cannot be 100% but I guess there is a simple way how to achieve this. You can set up limits how many % of CPU can every reseller account use and you do not need to care about the number of hosted domains.

•••
Thats how we do it Marble Host - we limit by resource usage. Hosts offer unlimited domain/account packages under the idea that if a reseller actually obtained enough clients to bough down the server, hopefully they'd be to the point where there ready to upgrade to a VPS or dedicated server, and if there your client, hopefully you'll get the upgrade business!

Hosts realize how difficult it is to pick up clients and really saturate the market, so thats why they aren't afraid to make offers like that, same concept applies to resource overselling - it's done under the hope/assumption the client never gets close to that point in resource usage.

•••
You want to find a host that has reasonable pricing and does not provide unlimited everything except for maybe unlimited domain names.

•••
Go for a medium sizes company and I guarantee they will provide more personal help and be more willing to assist you in your needs.

•••
Dedicated Server is the only real way to control how the resources are divided. Having a Reseller Account most often means you are on a shared environment. As such, there is no way to prevent a website(s) outgrowing the server resources allocated. When doing so, this particular website interferes with the other sites on the same server and creates additional issues for both those customers and the reseller. This is why the Reseller has to be absolutely sure which factors does the host take into account, when dividing accounts and are there easy upgrade possibilities in case a site doesn't fit into them anymore :)

•••
Generally Unlimited hosting accounts have many hidden restrictions which are told to client later. Then the company forces the client to upgrade onto a higher package and pay more or else they will suspend/delete the accounts. Its always better to have a fixed hosting, so you get the resources you pay for.

•••
Generally Unlimited hosting accounts have many hidden restrictions which are told to client later. Then the company forces the client to upgrade onto a higher package and pay more or else they will suspend/delete the accounts. Its always better to have a fixed hosting, so you get the resources you pay for.

There is another thing tho and that's the customer understanding of the hosting service and I do believe it has grown a lot in the past few years. I can disagree that restrictions are "hidden" per se. Sure, they are just a short passage of the long novel called "Terms and Conditions" but every logical and sane person can quickly find the exact areas that are vital to their project to see what the restrictions in this aspect are.

I think its high time people stop complaining about being deceived by "Unlimited" hosts, because "unlimited" cannot be measured and server resources have their boundaries. If someone offers me an unlimited amount of apples lets say, I will immediately think of asking him "how?", "what's the catch?", because even if he delivers all the apples in the world its still not unlimited. The same with servers, people should be very naive to think that they can buy all the webspace in the world for $5 per month, when people are paying hundreds of dollars monthly for dedicated servers with 1.5 TB space. Don't get me wrong, hosts should also stop this misleading phrases but by now I think almost all people should be aware that logically those promises cannot be delivered.

So simply know what you need and research according to those specific needs, you don't need to spend hours and days reading ToS's you just need to know where to look :)

•••
Again and again - avoid unlimited plans! Especially offers with unlimited web space, etc.

However, okay, it's possible to park large amount of domains, this won't affect your hosting account unless you have hundreds of domains parked on top of a single account and getting some DDOS attack, or okay, you can also host many sites on a single account but you'll be restricted with web space and resources anyway.

•••
You can install many domain on one server but you have to look that all domain take equal load on server

•••
- .. As providers usually set resource limits on their plans. So, if there're many loaded websites, you should go at least to VPS plan with the WHM (reseller) interface.

•••
Have you used any discount offers while you ordered the package earlier ? Some companies offer First month discount package and from next month onwards you will have to pay the actual price. With respect to Unlimited offers, its a marketing strategy and at some stage you will get notifications when you use more diskspace / bandwidth.

•••
To become more web host–oriented read independent web hosting reviews that are known to be of high quality and the most up-to-date. They contain information regarding affordable web hosting firms.

•••
To become more web host–oriented read independent web hosting reviews that are known to be of high quality and the most up-to-date. They contain information regarding affordable web hosting firms.

This is good point to start, however, direct communication with the sales, support and even current hosting clients would give better image about the company you're going to host your website with.

•••
Some hosts offer something like unlimited space and bandwidth. In that case, they are overselling their resources which is dangerous since there is no such thing as unlimited space and bandwidth. What is actually taking place is that you are given unmetered space and bandwidth. They are not putting a hard limit on your account. But if resources run out, then your out of luck. Having no virtual space limit still doesn't eliminate having a physical limit on the hard drive. But I am sure they will do their best to add more servers to the cluster to handle those extra resources that are needed if they do not have any problem with what you are doing.

This sounds like me about getting oversold (by Ehost.com). I'm only on my first day trying them and it's been really quite annoying cause after a QuickInstall of Wordpress for my add-on domains,
http: //mydomains/wp-admin only go to Ehost.com 404 page. I tried to reach support but it seems they're running as a reseller that doesn't know much about their products based on the response.

Wondering if anyone may have any idea what to do from here

•••
Interesting information for practical uses. I love to be here every day because i used to get good information.

•••
This sounds like me about getting oversold (by Ehost.com). I'm only on my first day trying them and it's been really quite annoying cause after a QuickInstall of Wordpress for my add-on domains,
http: //mydomains/wp-admin only go to Ehost.com 404 page. I tried to reach support but it seems they're running as a reseller that doesn't know much about their products based on the response.

Wondering if anyone may have any idea what to do from here

Maybe just reinstall, or try to move to another host with live chat support ;)

Cheers!

•••
^Hi @euro-space thank you

I did have to call them and it was a simple solution of changing the name server with what the representative provided. I initially used one from a late 2014 youtube tutorial.
So far it's alright now. =)

•••
Of course, first thing what is needed after moving to a new hosting provider is to point your domain to their servers by adding/changing nameservers to the host's address(es) :)

Cheers.

•••
Unless you are utilizing Dedicated Servers, an ordinary facilitating bundle utilizes shared assets i.e. different clients share facilitating bundles on a similar server. As innovation and the capacities of our servers keep on growing, we can persistently permit you to accomplish more with your facilitating bundle and its data transfer capacity. This implies we can offer for all intents and purposes boundless assets for real clients of our facilitating items who utilize them for the right purposes.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back