IT.COM

debate Web forums in 2019

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hello,

I want to start a forum, my question for you is: are they still a thing? I mean i know namepros is successful, but this is not a new forum. Do people still register on those?

Do you have a successful recent launch?

Thanks,
Cristian.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi

np was new once, so if you don't start it, then it won't have a chance to grow.

just saying....

imo...

•••
That is a good point @biggie
But namepros was made in that era, when forums were popular, at least from my point of view:)

•••
That is a good point @biggie
But namepros was made in that era, when forums were popular, at least from my point of view:)
Is there evidence of forums being unpopular?

Depending on the niche and competition there is usually opportunity somewhere....IMO

Obviously, the domain industry is not one to start new...:xf.smile:

•••
Depending on the niche and competition there is usually opportunity somewhere....IMO

I agree

Obviously, the domain industry is not one to start new..

well, even in domaining, there is an opportunity

depends on who, and what areas you want to focus on

the type of conversations you want to have and level of maturity of it's members.

just because you start another domain forum, doesn't mean you're trying to compete with this one.

imo…..

•••
Check out Discourse - modern and open source (https://github.com/discourse/discourse). I love how the Manjaro Linux forums look and they use this. But you can see in the screen shots on the github of many others.

•••
It was not on my mind to start a domaining forum. I do not have that much experience in this field. I thought of it once, but to start one in romanian, because there isn't one in my country just yet.

I was asking because if you want to make a professional forum, you need a good amount of money, at least 300-400 $ if you opt-in for a paid forum software, like vbulletin, invision or xenforo, which all are around 200, plus a custom design, logo and such

•••
Look at this way "something is better than nothing". We always wanted to do something but due to time and resources, we procrastinate for different reasons.

As an entrepreneur, I love to get started someway and help people in every possible way. I m not worried if that help is through forum software.

You need to remember that anything started as a forum need not stay as a forum. Once you see the momentum the site can be converted into a modern web or mobile app plus existing forum as an additional feature.

To answer your question, yes in 2019 we can still count on forum websites. It works if used in the right way and innovative approaches.

•••
One more thing. Innovation is the key.

For example:
look at NP -- I never thought we can do auctions through forum software.
look at Whatsapp - I never thought a chat app can be used for payment transfer.
look at stackoverflow - they started as a forum and enhanced to job portal site. Amazon has a stake in it.

Keep thinking. You can find a unique way to use a forum as a tool or a platform that can help people to monetize and live without it.

•••
Thank you @NameJi
I never looked at it from this perspective. You gave me some good pointers.

•••
•••
Check out Discourse - modern and open source (https://github.com/discourse/discourse). I love how the Manjaro Linux forums look and they use this. But you can see in the screen shots on the github of many others.

So this can be used on my own hosted server as well right ? Not only paying plans from them.

Thanks,
Cristian

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back