Dynadot

Web Domain Name Suggestion - Your Expert Opinion Needed

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

SteveJohn155

Impact
I have been contemplating to know which is better approach to have SINGLE DOMAIN or MULTIPLE DOMAIN for online business venture:

1) I am quoting this classic example to underline my example on two similar successful Indian website(bharatmatrimony.com & shaadi.com) to understand which is better Approach from SEO & Branding perspective .

Bharatmatrimony.com is main website which allows User to navigate to specific website (Not sure you call them sub-domain) based on the User language their choose like punjabi, kannada, marathi etc for eg: Punjabimatrimony.com,Kannadamatrimony.com ,marathimatrimony.,parsimatrimony.com etc where as their competitor shaadi.com used only one domain to support all the User language matrimony where as we understand Bharatmatrimony.com market share is bigger than shaadi.com though sucess of a online venture can have multiple factor but does this approach one of the Key factor in bharatmatrimony.com. Personally as User myself on these matrimony website, I feel more comfortable when I choose Specific language base matrimony (Bharatmatrimony.com) rather than going to generic website and then choose language.

Is this Approach of having different website of each language separately under Bharatmatrimony.com helped them to build more traffic and hence Add members unlike their competitor shaadi.com used only one domain to support all the User language matrimony. Please provide Pro's and Con's from SEO ,Branding, Effort perspective to maintain multiple websites.

2) If the Answer is "YES" to above question to follow Bharatmatrimony.com Does the domain name should be KEYWORD RICH always from SEO Perspective since most of the Sub-domain domain name to follow similar approach of Bharatmatrimony is already taken.

As you know, we have herculean task to have multiple domain and follow consistent sub domain naming pattern is difficult at this point as most of these keyword rich domain names have been taken or blocked .Can we take domain name following some prefix (like e) will deter from SEO & branding perspective . will adding prefix or suffix to all sub domain will impact the SEO & branding.

eBharatmatrimony.com is main website which allows User to navigate to specific website based on their language their choose for eg: ePunjabimatrimony.com,eKannadigamatrimony.com (not ekannadamatrimony.com since this domain is already taken-though kannada is more rich keyword but to maintain consistent with other sub domain to follow , we have to compromise & choose Kannadiga for sub domain names (though Kannidiga is NOT RICH keyword when compared to kannada )emarathiimatrimony (Again compromised on keyword marathi as marathii).eparsematrimony.com

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Scrap this whole mindset. You have overcomplicated it somewhat.

Use a single 'brand' name that can be spoken in all languages; like 'Google'. Then on your single domain offer different language selections.

i.e. "Batrimony.com"

You want to keep all of your traffic on one domain, and not spread it out unless you are offering a completely different product for each domain.

Keywords in domains are nice, but in 2014 SEO domains without keywords will rank for searches depending on their anchor tags that other sites are using.

If you are using keywords in domains it is best to have an exact match domain, because the anchor tags will most likely correspond to your domain, and therefore will rank you higher for the keyword.

i.e. BitCoinValue.com <a href="http://bitcoinvalue.com>Bitcoin Value</a>

Only use a keyword heavy (long tail) domain if your goal is to market your site strictly through SEO.

What I like to do is have a main BRANDED site, and then have smaller portals with keyword intensive domains that use SEO to rank well, and then point those domains back to the main site through ads or contextual advertising.

So pick a GOOD brandable .COM domain that all languages can say, and then if you are dead set on using that name, go register the name in all other geographical relevant extensions... .in, .hk, .de, .net, ... etc.

Good luck.

•••
Dear Domain VP,

Thanks for your detailed email and for valuable suggestion from your perspective.

Regards,
Steve

Scrap this whole mindset. You have overcomplicated it somewhat.

Use a single 'brand' name that can be spoken in all languages; like 'Google'. Then on your single domain offer different language selections.

i.e. "Batrimony.com"

You want to keep all of your traffic on one domain, and not spread it out unless you are offering a completely different product for each domain.

Keywords in domains are nice, but in 2014 SEO domains without keywords will rank for searches depending on their anchor tags that other sites are using.

If you are using keywords in domains it is best to have an exact match domain, because the anchor tags will most likely correspond to your domain, and therefore will rank you higher for the keyword.

i.e. BitCoinValue.com

Only use a keyword heavy (long tail) domain if your goal is to market your site strictly through SEO.

What I like to do is have a main BRANDED site, and then have smaller portals with keyword intensive domains that use SEO to rank well, and then point those domains back to the main site through ads or contextual advertising.

So pick a GOOD brandable .COM domain that all languages can say, and then if you are dead set on using that name, go register the name in all other geographical relevant extensions... .in, .hk, .de, .net, ... etc.

Good luck.

•••
Dear Domain VP,

Just wanted to get clarified on couple of your points mentioned:

"You want to keep all of your traffic on one domain, and not spread it out unless you are offering a completely different product for each domain".

Lets consider hypothetical examples of Industrial Product where different Products for different industry is sold (Rigger machine for Construction Industry Product and Paper machine for Paper & Pulp Industry segment-which are two different industries segment with two different products and are used for totally different purposes ) - I am not sure whether to call them different product as well based on industry usage or still call them same products category since it belongs to same family of Industrial Equipment ,more so each of the User/member of these product are different and unique:-For example Paper machinery User/member is not interested in construction machine ). In this case, do you still suggest to have single domain name for All industry equipment with or with out key word in domain name or suggest to follow BharatMatrimony.com approach of having industry equipment for each industry segment (paper,construction). What is your take in this case ....

•••
From a UX (User experience) standpoint I could see why someone would be interested in the bharatmatrimony approach, however strictly speaking from an SEO standpoint; if all of these domains are offering the same services I would stick to using one singular branded domain.

There may be a cultural reason for this, I am not well versed in hindi politics or cultural interactions; it may be that having a completely different domain is the best solution for this market.

Let's look at some of the social network giants like Facebook and Twitter. They use sub domains and keep everything on one central domain.

If you are targeting the same business of matrimony I would use a core brandable domain that you use for 'joining couples' and then use a subdomain for each different language.

Outside of that approach you may want to consider just having an initial "language" or "preference" field that will only allow members to interact with members of the same preference.

That way you can control everything from one domain; and create categories.

Since they are all registered, I wouldn't focus on having keywords within the domain, but would focus more on the SEO of each category or subdomain, whichever you choose.

So lets say you purchase Aesha.com (which means love... or so I am told)
You would want your categories to look like this:

http://aesha.com/kannada-matrimony/
Title : "Kannada Matrimony | Aesha.com
Description: "Kannada matrimony services for the entire Karnataka region."

You goal would then be to have as many sites as possible link to your URL using "kannada matrimony" as the anchor tag.

In this section you should detail how Aesha.com services Kannada Matrimony with a 'get started' or 'signup now' button. Then keep repeating this process for marathi, parthi, etc...

Your core site aesha.com should point to each category that your site services with a signup form on the front page.

Once your user signs up and they select their language, they will only be shown users that have selected the similar option.

That is the route that I would choose since you cannot obtain the exact match domains.

I believe they acquired these names to block out competition, which they have done well.

•••
I agree with domain VP.

Better move is, Don't host your site on different domain for different states.

Simply use one domain for all your state version. (Best way to establish brand)

But.... If you want to have more domains and don't wanna others duplicate your site you can have other duplication combination domains.

Just simply redirect duplicate domains to the main domain..... don't do anything in other domains just redirect.

Do not promote duplicate domains..... always focus and promote main domain.

•••
Thanks Domain VP for your explanation along with example. Guess I was about to make grave mistake while taking the first step itself.

DKN---Good point to build traffic with redirect approach .

•••
suggest, just redirect to new domain name; duplicate not good.

DOMAIN REDIRECT TO ......... (your new domain name)
cound down <5 second>

use, so every time people visit your old domain will know that address change to new domain name,
sample:
DOMAIN REDIRECT TO WWW.MATRIMONY.COM
cound down <5 second>

•••
Dear DomainVP,

I need your expert opinion on my upcoming e-commerce website for a niche market place and I'm based out of India. I'm focusing these many marketplace apart fro India:

Australia
Japan
France
Germany
UK
Switzerland
Taiwan
China
Russia
Italy
UAE
Germany

I have couple of daunting questions:

1) What is the best way to enter this different place"

a) I would like to Buy Country Domain CC TLD for each of this market place but I see for some countries like .au, it, china, .de etc needs local presence to register the domain as per Wikipedia or some kind of restriction but also I did speak to few European domain registry (europeregistry.com) , they claim I can still register and they will provide local details on behalf of me for few domains ..Not sure How far this is legal.

b) Also I see different Approach(sub-domain) from establish player to address on multilingual for different country. Not sure whether sub-domain is same as CC TLD's approach, if built and marketed properly.

Example 1) de.godaddy.com/ to Address German
2) it.godaddy.com/ to address Italy

Example 2) zomato.com/id/auckland to Address Australia market
zomato.com/id/doha to Address UAE market

2) Having sub-domain name under dot com to address these restricted country is right approach.
or To Go with CC TLD.s by finding partners this countries. Needless to say , I'm start-up not big brands like Go daddy.com to establish marketing campaign in each country. In case, you suggest to go for sub-domain approach-which is better - Godaddy or zomato

Please do provide your input to address this daunting question.

Regards,
Steve

•••
If you are going to target multiple countries you go for a .com. Later on when your business has grown and you can afford it you can look into cctlds and local partnerships. But burdening yourself with all of this at the very start is not a good idea IMHO.

BTW it's funny how this forum is full of people seeking to sell generics but here you are advised to go for a brandable name. Unfortunately it is true. Made up names are better than generics.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back