IT.COM

.web.com sub domains R.I.P

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

gazzip

First Time Poster !VIP Member
Impact
After 2 years and a few colourful and entertaining posts about .web.com sub domains as of today all my .web.coms are gone ;) all taken out of service by web.com

I made about a $200 loss but I'm glad I never developed them as intended like many people have done (I'm guessing their names will also be cancelled).... now that would really hurt :sick:

....strange how Poker.web.com is still parked and appears to be STILL owned by quality :-/ hmmm

http://www.namepros.com/domain-name...om-proof-badger-joker.html?highlight=.web.com

So, goodbye, Auf Wiedersehen, au revoir, adeus, vaarwel, arrivederci, adiós, etc to .web.com R.I.P :p

ps - I can't say I was'nt warned :tu:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Indeed, R.I.P. :tri: :imho:

-Jeff B-)

•••
tinner666 said:
Bummer! Must hurt.

Nah, pretty painless for me (sometimes you need to pay for lessons!) but I do feel for all those that did develope and use their email etc for business :sick: now that must really hurt.

This was posted on 123-reg.co.uk site who was selling them.

web.com domain names will no longer resolve

Please note: that as of March 31 2008, .web.com domain names will no longer resolve.

This means that any website located at an address ending in .web.com will be unreachable at that address. It is also now not possible to renew .web.com sub-domains.

Why has this happened?
In December 2004, the owners of web.com asked CentralNic to operate the .web.com domain registry on their behalf.

All web.com domains purchased through 123-reg are administrated by CentralNic, and .web.com is the only sub-domain CentralNic has ever offered that they did not own or directly control.

CentralNic agreed to operate the registry in good faith, based on the fact that web.com had managed it themselves for the preceding 6 years.

However, the web.com domain is now owned by somebody different. These owners have announced that, as of March 31 2008, they will no longer offer domains ending in .web.com

Am I affected?
Central nic will be sending an email to all affected customers. "Subject: Your .web.com domain(s) will stop working as of March 31, 2008"

.........................................................................................

Somehow it looks like NP member Quality still has all his ones, maybe he does work for them ?? Quality, I would like to know if you got the emails too as it looks like yours still resolve ?

auto.web.com !!!
business.web.com !!!!
car.web.com !!!
cars.web.com !!!
bet.web.com
betting.web.com
claim.web.com
computer.web.com
dating.web.com
dvd.web.com
finance.web.com
flights.web.com
flowers.web.com !!!
gambling.web.com
games.web.com
gifts.web.com
hotel.web.com
hotels.web.com
insurance.web.com !!!
internet.web.com
jobs.web.com !!!
loan.web.com !!!
loans.web.com
mortgage.web.com
mortgages.web.com
music.web.com
poker.web.com !!! < I thought you sold this one ?
property.web.com
sex.web.com
shop.web.com
sport.web.com
ticket.web.com
toys.web.com!!!
travel.web.com

So whats the story Quality ?? :-/

Last edited:
•••
I was wondering about this. Glad I never registered any web.com domains.

•••
Sounds a case for a hefty class-action.

•••
A lesson to be learned from renting sub-domains :(

•••
A perfect reason why you should never waste your money on useless subdomains.

•••
Quality works for CentralNic I guess? Or perhaps he got a special deal with the new owners seeing how he own all the best premium names? :o

•••
Yep very interesting.....

•••
quality said:
Yep very interesting.....

:hi: quality! Care to shed some light on this issue? :]

•••
They probably don't have the financial resources to market .web.com anymore.

•••
lzy said:

I guess not ! :|

•••
Jeffrey said:
They probably don't have the financial resources to market .web.com anymore.

Web.com's new owners probably felt it wasn't feasible?

•••
gazzip said:
Nah, pretty painless for me (sometimes you need to pay for lessons!) but I do feel for all those that did develope and use their email etc for business :sick: now that must really hurt.

This was posted on 123-reg.co.uk site who was selling them.

web.com domain names will no longer resolve

Please note: that as of March 31 2008, .web.com domain names will no longer resolve.

This means that any website located at an address ending in .web.com will be unreachable at that address. It is also now not possible to renew .web.com sub-domains.

Why has this happened?
In December 2004, the owners of web.com asked CentralNic to operate the .web.com domain registry on their behalf.

All web.com domains purchased through 123-reg are administrated by CentralNic, and .web.com is the only sub-domain CentralNic has ever offered that they did not own or directly control.

CentralNic agreed to operate the registry in good faith, based on the fact that web.com had managed it themselves for the preceding 6 years.

However, the web.com domain is now owned by somebody different. These owners have announced that, as of March 31 2008, they will no longer offer domains ending in .web.com

Am I affected?
Central nic will be sending an email to all affected customers. "Subject: Your .web.com domain(s) will stop working as of March 31, 2008"

.........................................................................................

Somehow it looks like NP member Quality still has all his ones, maybe he does work for them ?? Quality, I would like to know if you got the emails too as it looks like yours still resolve ?

auto.web.com !!!
business.web.com !!!!
car.web.com !!!
cars.web.com !!!
bet.web.com
betting.web.com
claim.web.com
computer.web.com
dating.web.com
dvd.web.com
finance.web.com
flights.web.com
flowers.web.com !!!
gambling.web.com
games.web.com
gifts.web.com
hotel.web.com
hotels.web.com
insurance.web.com !!!
internet.web.com
jobs.web.com !!!
loan.web.com !!!
loans.web.com
mortgage.web.com
mortgages.web.com
music.web.com
poker.web.com !!! < I thought you sold this one ?
property.web.com
sex.web.com
shop.web.com
sport.web.com
ticket.web.com
toys.web.com!!!
travel.web.com

So whats the story Quality ?? :-/

lzy said:

yes, what is the story Quality?

•••