Dynadot

Web-Based Email Cautions

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I wasn’t sure where to post this, but for me it was a learning issue. Not to be lazy or careless about email!

Others have posted excellent reasons to use an email address using a domain you own, instead of using a web-based email like Yahoo or Gmail. One of the first reasons is that this helps you project a professional image, especially to prospective buyers you contact. Security is another issue. Here’s yet another reason.

If you use Chrome or Safari as your browser, and if you then open Yahoo email straight from Yahoo’s site, it reformats the text of your emails. This is usually harmless or just annoying, until you’re sending something vital. Like, for instance, an epp code. I had one change entirely, and didn’t know until it didn’t work. Some registrars send codes as a link sometimes, which seems to protect it from this problem, and most authcodes are sequences that aren't affected. But it can happen.

At the very least, you should open web-based free email from within an email program instead of your browser.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back