Dynadot

Warning to all members about .IT domain registrations - Avoid WebSolutions.it !

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
Hi All,

I thought it was a nice gesture from my part, sharing with you all in details, my negative experience with the registrar for .IT domains www.websolutions.it

Apparently, they're one of the best Italian registrars actually on the market, they offer .IT registrations as low as Euro 7 per year (including VAT and free forward), they've also an excellent cpanel and, unfortunately, no other company has yet compared the same quality/price of service offered by these guys but there're many other problems you might be unaware of, let me tell you what happened exactly.

We used them since April 2005 with no real problem, we registered over 700 domains on their servers (generic words and, I admit, many trademark typos which might be not ethical but an easy way to make some extra money with PPC).

Now, I agree in full that registering typos might be seen as a cybersquatting activity but, you agree with me, rules should be applied to all cstomers and this never happened.

We had no problem until 26th October 2006, we've been their happy customers for 16 months and, during this time, we built a strong portfolio by investing a lot in work, resources and money.
Suddenly, that damn 10/26/2006, a trademark holder called them (instead of us) accusing them (the Registrar) of a trademark violation and they announced they'll have sued them for economic damages etc ...

At that point, their president, Mr. Danilo Calzetta, become crazy, he called me angry and he didn't give me even the time for an explanation and a clarification, he told that many of our domains would have been sent in the NO-PROVIDER status (a sort of redemption period for .IT domains) because considered as his only discretion, trademark violations !
Note that many of those domains where just innocent typos like deejay.it apart the fact that the Italian Nic forbids a similar behavior for their Registrars because the customer is legally the only and sole responsible for the domains he registered and, considering we were not using such domains in any illegal way (only clean ppc content with genuine sponsors, parked at DS), they had really no right to do this.

But ok, I hate creating problems and, stupidly, instead of attempting to redeem and transfer such domains to another Registrar, hoping to do a polite thing, in good way, I deleted them ! We had a big damage by this lost, over 5,000$ of yearly income, we lost forever our best .IT domains in terms of revenue !

The Registrar said they wouldn't have accepted again such domains on their servers but, few weeks later, other customers of them registered back most of our domains ! We reported the case to the Registrar, they did nothing and told us this matter wasn't of our competence and thanked us for that report

RESULT 1 - These domains are currently in active status owned by other customers of them:
Addecco.it
Adslalice.it
Altalavista.it
Dineychannel.it
Disneichannel.it
Dominiaruba.it
Hotmeil.it
Micorsoft.it
Postaalice.it
Soniericsson.it
Suzukiitalia.it
Ternitalia.it
Tg-com.it
Treinitalia.it
Trenialia.it
Trenitala.it
Trenitlia.it
Tuttogatis.it
Vodfone.it
Vrigilio.it

RESULT 2 - We put offline voluntarily all our remaining domains and we're still looking for a stable registrar where moving them, only recently we found tophost.it (more than professional, great guys !) and we're working for a bulk transfer which's not so easy due to the Italian Nic burocracy and requirements, it would not be easy, it will require tons of signed papers but, first of all, we hope to save at least something from the remaining part of our old portfolio.

RESULT 3: Not only we didn't cause any further problems to this Registrar to avoid a possible revenge from their part (they're not good people, I can't enter in details), we didn't report the case to the Nic or to the competent Authorities but also, as just told, we put offline all our remaining domains by causing a further damage to ourselves !

Believe me, we did nothing against this Registrar so far and recently they began again to put in redemption other domains of por property !
At this point we'll be much smarter, we're contacting a good lawyer, we're rebuilding all this case story and we're preparing to sue them for discrimination, racism and moral damages !

Recently we've only contacted them to let them know for the second time about our old domains now owned by other customers of them, they did nothing ...

Avoid them and you'll not risk to suddenly loose all your investment with no real reason ... We leaved months of "silent anger" but now we no longer want to be victims of their abuses and we're preparing to fight for our rights !

Unfortunately, tophost.it is currently unable to accept foreign customers but they say they'll do in the near future (they've an excellent support through their ticket system, really great guys, I think they'll soon beat websolutions in terms of quality, professionality and popularity of their service.

If you've typos/trademarks currently registered at websolutions, believe me, it's better you begin to think to move them away from there until you'll have the time to do this ... You might move to eurodns.com (excennelt registrar), you might probably try to negotiate a bit their current reg fee and you'll solve forever the problem.

I hope this testimonial will help many members to avoid websolutions.it or to leave them forever if already their customers ...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If I read this correctly the domains were set to NO-PROVIDER status. Which means the registrar no longer wants to take care of the domains... so you need to appoint another registrar otherwise the registry will contact you to find a solution.

You could have assigned another registrar to transfer the domains to - as long as your E-mail is in the admin contact section you can authorize transfers.

The domains were not deleted by the registrar, they just declared they no longer want to be the maintainer, I believe it's their right to do so.

If you have a big TM portfolio then the odds of legal problems are high and you will draw the heat, the registrars don't like it.
Sue them ? With the blatant TM infrigements you've got it does not sound like a good idea. I am not sure about Italian copyright laws but it seems to me that the registrar could also be held at least partially responsible for your dubious registrations. They essentially moved to cover themselves.
Consider this a lesson learned and move on.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back