Dynadot

WARNING: BuyDomains.com Snatching up Customer's Expired Domains?!?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Ok so I've already wasted a good few hours trying to convince BuyDomains.com to fix the extremely unfair situation they've put me in. Things are still unresolved so I'm here with my warning. I just wanted to inform others to be careful about BD and after you purchase domains, make sure to TRANSFER your domains out of any registrar they place the domain initially.

I bought a domain SiteXXXX.com in 2014. After purchasing I received the welcome email along with the registrar details. In that email the registar they required me to use was BuyDomainsRegistrations.com.

So I continued to develop a site on my purchased domain, sitexxxx.com. I developed a simple wordpress site and then left it alone for the next year or so. Now just a few days ago I checked on the site since it'd been quite some time since I worked on it.

I checked the site and it was down. Then I checked whois and noticed that the registrant was BuyDomains.com again! I was somewhat relieved since I was hoping that it was in redemption or maybe they were holding the domain for me since I'd originally purchased it over a year ago.

So I contacted my sales rep there and asked if they could do a one time exception. He said no but was willing to give me a reduced rate on a 2nd sale. What!?! I mean they were trying to sell back a name that I purchased from them? Ok not cool but not too big of a deal.

What I did next was checked my email account to see if I received any domain expiration emails or any emails about the domain expiring. I checked and there was NOTHING. Not one email at all notifying me of the domain expiring nor the domain being expired.

So this is when I started to get suspicious. So the domain registrar that they required me to use was directly related to their company and is apparent since the registar url is http://www.buydomainsregistrations.com. I had brought this up to my sales rep and he still denies that the registrar's related to their company. How could it not?? Look at the site, it even has their logo on it.

Anyway, I asked them why I never received any renewal emails and they emphatically deny that the registrar is related to them so they have no idea. Hmm..that doesn't sound right at all.

So as I last request to get my name back I asked them if they could lower the price again..they denied my request and here I am warning others about their shady tactics.

It would've been completely fine if the domain registrar they forced me to use upon buying the domain was an external registrar like GD, ENOM, etc. And if that were the case I'd most definitely received email expiration notifications.

But that did not happen and that's why I feel sorely mistreated. Anyway, I'm staying away from BD from now on. My advice is if you're going to buy domains from them, ALWAYS transfer your domains out from whatever registrar they place your domain at.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
thank you for your warning.

Its a shame that you need to check your domains at many registrars
to ensure they are autorenewed

you may have not taken actions to prevent that situation
but in my eyes the company you bought the domain from
in the first place should have made every effort to prevent your misfortune

it speaks loud and clearly about their working ethics
My domain was stolen too. Multiple, and all by the same user listed in Whois. Shady!

•••
Yes indeed but still you are responsible for managing your domains' expiry dates and any info that is related to and as you know any email can land in junk folder so that is another reason to always check your emails.

To avoid this you can also add all the emails of your registrar to your whitelist so they can always be delivered.

......off topic.....

I sold domains before two or more months and I received the renewal notices because the buyer simply didnt change the contact info and I informed him but hw never replied.

Now if some of those domains expire or get dropped and regged by someone else he will then blame his registrar saying he never received notice. Of course this happens though it is not related to this topic.
You sound pretty guilty!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back