NameSilo

Warez Site....

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I recieved a domain warezloaded.com for free via namepros auction.

I was wanting to develop it into a forum but not sure what is legal and what is illegal.

I looked at http://www.projectw.org/

Can anybody help me with what i can and cannot do?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
"Warez" by definition is illegally downloadable software, steer well clear.

•••
Prehaps you could turn it into a site about warez and the damage it causes. Maybe info on finding "warez" loaded onto your system prehaps?

But I wouldn't reccomend making a forum, and don't provide any warez files either.

•••
I believe its only illegal if you host the files. If the files are located on other servers you should be fine.

•••
Mayur said:
I believe its only illegal if you host the files. If the files are located on other servers you should be fine.

Yes this is right. But I would stayclear.

•••
Flaresolutions said:
"Warez" by definition is illegally downloadable software, steer well clear.

Can you provide a reference to the section of the legal code that defines this?

Mayur said:
Linking to illegal content is also illegal. A good example of this is the decss case against 2600.

You will want to weigh the risks and benefits before deciding what kind of content to put on this site. But bear in mind that Microsoft made hundreds of billions through a software business that involved illegal actions and got a slap on the wrist for a fraction of a percent of that. Nothing wrong with breaking the law as long as the benefit is more than the fine and you don't face any jail time.

•••
i would quickly shy away from questionable domains :IMHO:

•••
actually, even linking to the files could be considered questionable in the eyes of the law and you could be forced to take the links down. It's better to stay away from illegal activity sites and focus your energy into something that couldn't be a potential lawsuit or cease and desist letter.

•••
You could set up a site to offer legal software (freeware or that you are authorized to resell).
For example www.warez.fr offers paid music downloads.

•••
primacomputer said:
But bear in mind that Microsoft made hundreds of billions through a software business that involved illegal actions and got a slap on the wrist for a fraction of a percent of that.

Please explain this to me further because I cannot see your logic at all.

•••
Flaresolutions said:
Please explain this to me further because I cannot see your logic at all.

Basically, it's cool to hate Microsoft for being successful :lol:

•••
Stay clear of warez links and downloads.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back