Dynadot

information War.com ???

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ThatNameGuy

Top Member
Impact
might anyone hazard a guess what the domain War(.)com might lead to? I was doing some research on the name "Warrior" because it was the Mascot name for my High School, and while doing that I thought I'd just check to see what the website war.com might have to say?

Just as a point of information, war is offensive to most everyone, but does that mean we need to remove it or anything associate with it from our vocabulary? I'm confused:xf.frown:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Just as a point of information, war is offensive to most everyone, but does that mean we need to remove it or anything associate with it from our vocabulary? I'm confused:xf.frown:
Absolutely not and why would you think we would have to?

Last edited:
•••
Absolutely not and why would you think we would have to?
It's called "culture change".....like if we don't speak of "War" it might go away. My post was simply labeled "Information" about the domain War.com and how I thought it might have something to with actual war, and not the band called War!

•••
I'd be surprised if a domain of that calibre would be used for purely informational purposes, especially taken so literally.

It's like expecting computer.com to have the history of the computer on there.

War could be a brand name, an acronym and the domain itself is an enterprise waiting to happen, so a website containing anything or any purpose could be expected.

As for culture change, I'm not a fan of pretending that every word has the ability to offend everyone without context and therefore not be used. Use appropriate language at the appropriate time for the appropriate audience.

•••
I'd be surprised if a domain of that calibre would be used for purely informational purposes, especially taken so literally.

It's like expecting computer.com to have the history of the computer on there.

War could be a brand name, an acronym and the domain itself is an enterprise waiting to happen, so a website containing anything or any purpose could be expected.

As for culture change, I'm not a fan of pretending that every word has the ability to offend everyone without context and therefore not be used. Use appropriate language at the appropriate time for the appropriate audience.
Luke...to further my point and yours I went to Computer.com, and here is the "About" statement that you will find there; "Computer.com is dedicated to informing people about technology and its uses. Not only is Computer.com a reliable source of technology basics, it also delivers helpful information that can keep people safe and aware in a world of quickly changing technology."

My point was, I would have thought going to War.com there would have at least been something about "War", either from a historical perspective or something maybe from an entertainment perspective like; "The 10 Greatest War Movies of all time"? What I didn't expect to see was a site that lead to the band called "War" that was formed and played when I was in my early twenties.

Maybe you wouldn't have been surprised, but I was as I think most people in the domain industry would. That sir was my only point.

Then with regards to "culture change" simply stated...we agree. However, so much of what we say is either taken out of context or misstated. There are those whose agenda it is to take things out of context, and exploit them to affect culture change. The end:xf.rolleyes:

•••
•••
Years ago, I went on a date with the guy who owns (or owned) NuclearWar /.com. We met up at a museum and had not discussed domain names prior to that, so I had no idea. He said he got several offers on it every year, but wasn't interested in selling.

I have no idea if he still owns it.

Last edited:
•••
War - what is it good for?

Thanks for that ecalc....one of the best songs ever written and performed for the Motown Label. Ironically "War" the funk band out of Long Beach, and what the domain War.com is all about, started in 1969 the same year the Temptations performed the song "War".

Damn....you must be old:xf.wink: I wouldn't know because I still carry around my fake id:xf.confused:

•••
Years ago, I went on a date with the guy who owns (or owned) NuclearWar /.com. We met up at a museum and had not discussed domain names prior to that, so I had no idea. He said he got several offers on it every year, but wasn't interested in selling.

I have no idea if he still owns it.
Funny...here is the message i get when i key NuclearWar(.)com; "The resource you are looking for has been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable." I'm sure I've seen this before, but what does it mean? Thanks for sharing(y)

•••
Funny...here is the message i get when i key NuclearWar(.)com; "The resource you are looking for has been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable." I'm sure I've seen this before, but what does it mean? Thanks for sharing(y)

It looks like the name just isn't resolving, meaning there isn't any content on it. He didn't have it parked or anything, as far as I know. It's under privacy, so my guess is that he probably still owns it. (I'm wrestling with my Afternic dashboard at the moment and am too lazy to look up any other details).

•••
It looks like the name just isn't resolving, meaning there isn't any content on it. He didn't have it parked or anything, as far as I know. It's under privacy, so my guess is that he probably still owns it. (I'm wrestling with my Afternic dashboard at the moment and am too lazy to look up any other details).
Funny too...i like your moniker DomainSushi and when I try to access it, i get a similar message. I may be interested in the name if you're interested in connecting? Back to "Wars", unfortunately two that I would like to own SushiWars and DomainWars are both taken:xf.frown:

•••
So Apple.com should have information about apples? What have you been smoking?

•••
Any three letter one word .com has a lot of value, but the negative connotations might limit the audience.

•••
The world and the Internet would be very bland if everything was taken as literally as Rich takes domains.

Maybe you wouldn't have been surprised, but I was as I think most people in the domain industry would.

Rich, I went to your domain http://makesomethinghappen.com/ and I expected that someone would have made something happen on there (ie a website with content) but it just has a template on there unfinished. :bag: Quite a juxtaposition.

It is a prerequisite of a brand name that it cannot exactly describe your product or service, it's pretty much the basis of a brand name. If your brand name is literally the product you sell it cannot be trademarked. I expect most sites to be the home of some brand or another. Websites are more often than not named differently to the contents for this reason.

Last edited:
•••
Error

Last edited:
•••
It could be a video game, it could be an abbreviation.

Linking it to actual real life war isn't a must.

imo

•••
So Apple.com should have information about apples? What have you been smoking?
Really? I've been smoking the same chit as you. Who would have thunk the three letter domain Sex.com would have been about Apples:xf.grin:

•••
The world and the Internet would be very bland if everything was taken as literally as Rich takes domains.

Rich, I went to your domain makesomethinghappen.com and I expected that someone would have made something happen on there (ie a website with content) but it just has a template on there unfinished. :bag: Quite a juxtaposition.

It is a prerequisite of a brand name that it cannot exactly describe your product or service, it's pretty much the basis of a brand name. If your brand name is literally the product you sell it cannot be trademarked. I expect most sites to be the home of some brand or another. Websites are more often than not named differently to the contents for this reason.
Luke...i registered MakeSomethingHappen September 1, 2001 almost 20 years ago long before I knew anything about the domain industry as you know it today. I actually had a small consulting company MSHConsulting named after "MakeSomethingHappen" that I wish now I had registered the domain for back then:xf.rolleyes:

I just learned about this industry two years ago and have been honing my skills ever since. I don't take things as literally as you might think.....if you were to only see some of my brandables:xf.wink: And speaking of that I just sold one last week for $1,400 that I paid just $8.50 for less than a year ago.

Thanks for taking an interest in me Luke(y) We can ALL bring things to the table that make for a better setting. Your talents obviously differ from mine, but no doubt together we'd Make Something Happen.......literally:xf.wink:

Last edited:
•••
Years ago, I went on a date with the guy who owns (or owned) NuclearWar /.com. We met up at a museum and had not discussed domain names prior to that
Went on a date with a stranger.

Ended up talking about domains.

Thats a NP member for you :smuggrin:

•••
I guess you will be less surprised when you visit x.com.

•••
War is a 3 character single word domain name = hugely premium.

@ThatNameGuy if War dot com was in your account and under your name you'd be loving it, you'd go to bed at night and think about it during the day how you own potenitally a 6 figure+ asset and you'd be on here talking it up, so I'm not sure what this thread is about.

•••
It could be used by NGO as a website that campaigns against wars. The pioneers would document wars, maybe genocides and murders and then write articles advising people to desists from whatever that would lead to war.

•••
It should blow up your computer to stop you getting onto the internet it might be safer for you with a book.

•••
War is a 3 character single word domain name = hugely premium.

@ThatNameGuy if War dot com was in your account and under your name you'd be loving it, you'd go to bed at night and think about it during the day how you own potenitally a 6 figure+ asset and you'd be on here talking it up, so I'm not sure what this thread is about.
I couldn't agree more....what this thread was about is sharing my surprise when keying the domain War.com, and the site it went to didn't have anything to do with War? It would be like keying in Sex.com and it led to a site selling pinafores or stamps.

•••
Basically you are telling people how to use thier domains, what should they host. It does not matter what you wish you should have seen.If it bothers you that much to open up a thread for that, buy the domain and put info you always want war.com to have.
PS: There are hundreds of domains that mean something for someone in some culture in some country but that hardly matters to the registrant. He will put what he wants. You could wish purple.com giving info about color purple but does it?
#anotheruselessthread

Last edited:
•••
Back