Dynadot

VR - a Growing Trend to Watch

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Some friends think we are a little crazy to invest in VR, 360, Virtual Tour, and Virtual Reality domains. We even made a site devoted entirely to buying and selling them. But in defense of our sanity, let me divulge the viability of such endeavors. In other words, tell you why we think it's a good idea:

First of all, a definition. This technology is basically a 360 panoramic view that the viewer can navigate within, looking right, left, and sometimes up and down - using the mouse. It is immersive, interactive, and actually pretty fun (besides being a great way to display objects and places).

VR has a lot more widespread than that. VR is an integral part of the simulation technology used for training in fields as varied as medicine to military. It is even making an impact in the gaming scene.

Real Estate has been using it extensively for several years to show off properties from their websites. The obvious advantages of showing a home (room to room) to anybody in the world are obvious. Realtors are grabbing it up like crazy.

Various scenic photographers have been using it to show various tourist spots around the world. You can see Machu Picchu, Egyptian Pyramids, and just about any other place you can imagine. VRMag.org. VR - very cool, and of great use to Travel Agencies.

Similarly, Automotive has caught on, and many official websites use 360 views to show the interior and exterior of their cars. Check out the official websites of Audi, VW, Porsche, Toyota, GM, Mazda, Honda, Suzuki and others. Not having a 360 view is becoming the exception.

Retail is getting with it, showing rotational views of everything from jewelry to shoes. The fact is, virtual reality tours and 360 degree views are THE BEST way online to display objects and places from every angle - and web users love them.

The support industries for VR are growing. The many virtual tour companies all have websites and are well aware of the keywords used to find them. Words like virtual, virtual tour, VR, 360, panorama, panoramic, pano - are indications that 360 degree technology is a factor. The photo equipment and software is an important part of the industry as well.

So what is the significance to the domain industry? As virtual reality grows on the Internet, and its keywords gain recognition, so will the need and demand for domains that signal its use. When it comes down to it, a website that uses 360 degree views is going to be considerably more interesting, dynamic, interactive, and attractive than a site without.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Why VR?

Why not 3D?

I like the sound of 3D better than VR or 360. It appears more relevant to me.

•••
VR isn't about a 360 panaramic view... that implies stationary objects viewed from a central pivot point... VR is about creating 3D worlds to explore and interact with.

•••
What programming language, what technology is behind vr? Sometime I think 3D is more confusing than just normal 2D.

•••
VR as a technology doesn't exist. It's a catch phrase to describe 3D effects. Virtual Reality is something LIKE REAL. Doubtful that VR will be important or have an impact in domains in the way you hope.

•••
labrocca said:
VR as a technology doesn't exist.
Not yet. Give it a few years and you never know, we may see the Holodeck from Star Trek, or Matrix style dojos. At least that's what I'm hoping for. :)

•••
Halobitt said:
Not yet. Give it a few years and you never know, we may see the Holodeck from Star Trek, or Matrix style dojos. At least that's what I'm hoping for. :)

Neither of which would be referred to as VR. You just made my point.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back