Dynadot

View backorders/Whois views on my domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

KyleClub

Account Closed
Impact
Would somebody please clue me in on how I can see the amount of views on the Whois and if anybody has a backorder on my domains. Any help is appreciated.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If your domains are at GoDaddy, go into your Domain Manager, and at the top under "Tools" selected Exportable Lists. Create a new list and check off the boxes you want to include (I suggest not checking them all, or else it will be a huge Excel sheet with lots of columns you'll have to minimize).

Make sure to check Whois views from Previous/Current periods - that's your WhoIS lookups, displayed by previous/current day, week, and month. Click "create list" and wait to receive the confirmation email that your list is complete. Once it's done, log back into the Exportable Lists section and download the list (I usually do a CSV, which opens in Excel).

I'm not sure how to do this on other registrars, or if the data is even available.

Also not sure about backorders. I've never heard of such a service existing (to be able to look them up). DomainTools has domain monitoring services.

•••
I keep seeing people suggest not to put a backorder in until one day before the name expires, in order to not draw attention. Right now I have a lot of backorders pending, and I am curious if the current owners of those domains can see that I have that backorder on their name. Causing them to be more likely to renew...

Thanks, NLP for the answer on getting the Whois searches. The ones I want to check are Go Daddy. So, I will try it out shortly. TY

•••
Right now I have a lot of backorders pending, and I am curious if the current owners of those domains can see that I have that backorder on their name. Causing them to be more likely to renew...

I don't see how they would know this, unless there's a domain monitoring service that can provide you with this information. But if you've backordered several places (Namejet, Snapnames, Pool), I don't see how someone could keep track of all that.

I don't think there's a way to check that, unless someone else on the boards knows of some special trick.

There's no telling what the owners are thinking - they could be domainers who let these names drop ("expire") on purpose, or they could be business owners who were overwhelmed with other things and let it expire accidentally. Chances are they don't know the domain is going to auction or up for grabs

I think the advice about waiting until the last minute to backorder is mostly for Namejet, since once a name has entered Pre-Release or Pending Delete they actively display how many people have backordered it. In that case, it's in your best interest to wait until the last second, to not draw attention to the name.

You can place backorders elsewhere without people knowing this info.

Repeated WhoIS searches on a name might clue someone in that there's interest (if they're monitoring that sort of thing), but chances are people who let a domain expire don't have that on their radar.

•••
When will my backorder pick up?

Domain Expires on: 2010-10-24 14:33:32.0

This domain is registered on Moniker. So, I have a backorder on Snap Names. How long will it need to be expired before my backorder will go into effect? Thanks...

•••
•••
A month at least. Once the status is "pending delete" it will drop in 5 days. You may want to backorder at pool as well. Better safe than sorry!

•••
A month at least.
It is 25 days.

Once the status is "pending delete" it will drop in 5 days.
Pending delete which will happen around day 70 after expiry is the second auction stage and is completely unrelated here. Only domains that are not picked during the first auction (pre-release auction) will make it to pending delete.

Pre-release auction happens between day 25 and day 45 after expiry. Pending delete has nothing to do with OP's question.

You may want to backorder at pool as well. Better safe than sorry!
No. Any moniker domain will go to pre-release auction around day 25 exclusively at snapnames.com. Other auction houses have no chance whatsoever.

Until day 45 expired com and net domains are still under control of the registrar because all expired com and net domains are auto renewed by the registry, Verisign, for free for 45 days. Therefore moniker has still full control of a dot com domain during the first 45 days after it expires. So what do they do with the domain? Simple. They push it to auction at snapnames which is another company of the oversee group that owns both moniker and snapnames.

So the answer is the OP doesn't need to backorder anywhere else at all and the domain is guaranteed to go to auction only at snapnames and nowhere else as long as it is not renewed by the previous owner.

KyleClub,
You should see a date appearing on snapnames next to the domain on 18 November 2010. By the way, you don't need to backorder any domain on snapnames unless you see a date next to the domain on search results. The snapnames system is designed to let you backorder any registered domain. For instance you can backorder google.com. However backordering doesn't make sense unless you see a date.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back