IT.COM

news Verizon to buy Yahoo for $4.8 billion... Thoughts?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
According to reports that are starting to trickle in, Yahoo’s board has accepted the terms of the Verizon offer we reported last week.

The core assets of the company that started life in Jerry Yang and David Filo’s 1994 Stanford dorm room as “Jerry and David’s Guide to the World Wide Web” — and at one point was one of the highest valued properties on the internet — will now join another former high-flyer of the internet’s earliest days, Aol (full disclosure: the owner of TechCrunch), in the Verizon stable.

It’s hard to overstate how dominant a player Yahoo once was. The company, which now holds most of its value in its Alibaba investment, was once a $125 billion behemoth that dominated internet search and commanded one of the highest valuations of any online business — it was Google before Google was Google.

Source: TechCrunch

End of an era, I would say!

What are your thoughts on this piece of news?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think management over the years have run this company to the ground. You're telling me this company is worth less than SnapChat?!

When you're making less than you're paying out, it's not a good business model.

•••
I think Yahoo should focus on their email users and maybe make email safer and less "Spammy" and then work on creating original content such as their news reports and reporting. They are the last major internet "portal" and need to play on that more.

•••
•••
•••
Yahoo has only gone downhill over the past several years. It's no surprise that they're getting ready to sell out :)

•••
Oh no, what will happen to my Geocities site now?

•••
Its a true news, But according to what I know its a 9b deal.

•••
•••
At least Yahoo! got a buyer even though it is for $4.8b.

Like you said, truly end of an era.

•••
Their main site is nothing but click bait articles I used to visit them a lot back in the day.

•••
From my own memory, Yahoo was demote as No1 search engine by Google who simply developed a better search algorithm to process search queries.

•••
It means you should never use brandables for your company, you will fail big (just joking :) )

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back