Dynadot

Using Trello for domain management

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

nomen

Top Member
Impact
I recently came across a project collaboration tool called Trello. I find it quite nice for domain portfolio management. Basically, Trello is cards inside lists inside boards. In my case, a board would be simply Domains, a list would be a registrar (could be a TLD, too), and cards would be individual domains. Like in the picture below where the vertical columns are lists, i.e. registrars, and horizontal blocks cards, i.e. domains.

usm0R08uJ.png

registrars.png

You can drag and drop cards, i.e. domains, from one registrar to another, organize them the way you like, filter them based on tags and labels, add pictures (logos?), copy, move, comment them and whatnot. But the best part is that you can assign a due date (i.e. exp.date) for each card (= domain) and then open the whole thing in a calendar view like below.

kalenteri.png

All your domains are there on the calendar by expiration date. You click a date, a small window (indicated by the red arrow) opens up and it shows your domains expiring that day organized under correct registrar. That is cool. Visualizing your domain portfolio that way helps to strategize upcoming renewals/transfers.

As said, Trello is a collaboration tool so you can assign members and stuff like that if you'd like. Also, where Trello really excels is in visualizing project flow and already thinking that it good be used to organize marketing campaigns for domains, too.

The software is smooth and fast and there's an app for just about every platform plus of course browser version.

Works for me.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thank you so much for sharing this nomen!!! This sounds exactly what I have been looking for! And it says it's free forever!!! Awesome! Thank you!!!

upload_2017-2-4_18-8-53.png

•••
Love Trello. I used it everyday for managing tasks and projects.

•••
Wow! Looks very promising. Will sure give it a try ASAP, thanks! :xf.smile:

•••
You can also color code the cards (=domains), e.g. green for keep, red for drop, and it will show up on the calendar view too which visualizes the whole thing even further. And you can do it, i.e. the coding, from either the list view or the calendar view.

•••
@Domains - Wanted @korganian Not sure if you guys ever ended up using Trello or still considering but here's tip for uploading names: you can paste a list into one card and it breaks it down to separate cards.

•••
Trello is just awesome because he easily manage every things.

•••
@Domains - Wanted @korganian Not sure if you guys ever ended up using Trello or still considering but here's tip for uploading names: you can paste a list into one card and it breaks it down to separate cards.
Not yet, but will get around to it for sure. Thanks for the reminder and the useful tip :xf.smile:

Last edited:
•••
looks interesting how many domains does it support?

•••
I don't think there's a limit, i.e. you can create list and cards endlessly. Probably slows down a bit if you have thousands, though... But you can of course break it down into multiple boards.

•••
Looks interesting but how do you add the whois info for example?

•••
Looks interesting but how do you add the whois info for example?

You assign a due date for every domain (card) you add under this or that registrar (list). Then the calendar view shows you the expiring domains in the week or month view. And you can add additional info, files, whatever to cards if you'd like.

•••
You assign a due date for every domain (card) you add under this or that registrar (list). Then the calendar view shows you the expiring domains in the week or month view. And you can add additional info, files, whatever to cards if you'd like.

Thanks , I expected that . Kind hard to set due dates for hundreds of domains. Anyways, I found something pretty amazing and free... Dnmin.com. You just add the domains and all info, including nameservers are posted and expiry dates, registrar etc. What is even more amazing is that you can set it to send you reminders for renewals, not to mention adding tags to the domains and viewing them based on this.

I found this last night and it seems perfect. I am not related to this website but just saying it meets all the needs I see so far.

•••
Thanks , I expected that . Kind hard to set due dates for hundreds of domains. Anyways, I found something pretty amazing and free... Dnmin.com. You just add the domains and all info, including nameservers are posted and expiry dates, registrar etc. What is even more amazing is that you can set it to send you reminders for renewals, not to mention adding tags to the domains and viewing them based on this.

I found this last night and it seems perfect. I am not related to this website but just saying it meets all the needs I see so far.

Sounds nice that dnmin.com.

You're right about the hassle of adding, say, 1000 domains. I did it, and it took at least a week. After the initial workload, everything is really quick to manage. Anyway, the main point for me about Trello is the calendar view which provides a quick glance of your portfolio and the upcoming renewals.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back