IT.COM

question Using PayPal as payment

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Domainwname

Established Member
Impact
Hi,

I have seen numerous threads here where people wants to recieve payments to Paypal for their domains.

Im just curious. How can you be sure that you wont get scammed with chargebacks after domain transfer has been made?

I would not dare to use Paypal just because of that. I can understand why people dont want to use Escrow with fees, but whats the most safest way?

Best Regards
Robin

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If I was selling a domain to a super known entity / person of reputation, PayPal I'd maybe consider (big maybe, but I'd insist avoiding it), regardless of value

Everyone is different. I'd run transactions through other trusted platforms, fees are inevitable. Bank transfer / crypto, to reduce chargeback risk. IMO

Last edited:
•••
Most domains sold on NP are low value.

You look at the user. If they have history and especially if you know the guy around, why not. There's a risk but small. Especially the trading history, if it's 100% and there are some transactions there then it's probably alright.

For higher value domains, there's definitely a risk. But it depends, some might accept.

I would never use PP for any sales outside NP. Here, it just makes everything simpler.

•••
There is a reason we have reputation/transaction scores. To ease any worries. To know this person has traded without issue. Selling here you also have the mods to assist you if trouble occurs.

That aside, PP fees are ridiculous and I won’t be accepting it as payment anymore.

But as a buyer yes its great because they lean heavily in a buyers favor with transaction protection.

•••
But as a buyer yes its great because they lean heavily in a buyers favor with transaction protection.
Which increases buy rate.

•••
Most domains sold on NP are low value.

You look at the user. If they have history and especially if you know the guy around, why not. There's a risk but small. Especially the trading history, if it's 100% and there are some transactions there then it's probably alright.

For higher value domains, there's definitely a risk. But it depends, some might accept.

I would never use PP for any sales outside NP. Here, it just makes everything simpler.

There is a reason we have reputation/transaction scores. To ease any worries. To know this person has traded without issue. Selling here you also have the mods to assist you if trouble occurs.

That aside, PP fees are ridiculous and I won’t be accepting it as payment anymore.

That sounds reasonable enough. If I buy any domains I will look up reputation/transaction scores for sure.

•••
Unrelated to NP, if a buyer wants to use PayPal, as a recent one did, I inform them that I can forward the domain, or change nameservers (so they can use it), but the domain (admin) will not be transferred until the 90 day PayPal chargeback window closes.

•••
Hi,

I have seen numerous threads here where people wants to recieve payments to Paypal for their domains.

Im just curious. How can you be sure that you wont get scammed with chargebacks after domain transfer has been made?

I would not dare to use Paypal just because of that. I can understand why people dont want to use Escrow with fees, but whats the most safest way?

Best Regards
Robin
There are couple of safety measures you can follow in Paypal domain transaction,
1. For high value domains, if you are the seller you can create an invoice with domain name specified, sale price and send it to the buyer. The buyer pays through your Paypal invoice. That's the proof of sale for both parties.
2. If you are a buyer, for low value transactions say $100 or less you can simply specify the domain name in paypal transaction note "Purchase of domain***.com". In case of chargeback you can share your NamePros messages and paypal transaction notes.

•••
Unrelated to NP, if a buyer wants to use PayPal, as a recent one did, I inform them that I can forward the domain, or change nameservers (so they can use it), but the domain (admin) will not be transferred until the 90 day PayPal chargeback window closes.

Just my reaction, I couldn't "like" this and would never agree to a 90-day hold. I'm sure I'm not alone on this. 122 transactions and counting, and I can't recall a significant problem with transfer and completion of a deal.

Due diligence matters. I only trade with trusted members.

Last edited:
•••
@eyedomainous "Unrelated to NP..."

Does that mean excluding NP?

In which case I would agree...

•••
Just my reaction, I couldn't "like" this and would never agree to a 90-day hold. I'm sure I'm not alone on this. 122 transactions and counting, and I can't recall a significant problem with transfer and completion of a deal.

Due diligence matters. I only trade with trusted members.
@eyedomainous "Unrelated to NP..." Does that mean excluding NP? In which case I would agree...

Yes, "unrelated to NP" excludes NP's 'trusted members'.

To date, all of my sales have been to end-users not connected to NP. Though my approach would not change if I sold to an end-user on NP. As the buyer's use of the domain would not be hindered while their chargeback option is in play.

Also, I have had no pushback from buyers who really want to use Paypal. Though a few likely changed their payment method when they read my payment options, which included the chargeback 'equalizer'.

•••
If I was selling a domain to a super known entity / person of reputation, PayPal I'd maybe consider (big maybe, but I'd insist avoiding it), regardless of value

Everyone is different. I'd run transactions through other trusted platforms, fees are inevitable. Bank transfer / crypto, to reduce chargeback risk. IMO
Understanding question sounds good

yes paypal is highle trusted gateway both of us like users and sellers

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back