NameSilo

Usage of IDN Stats

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DU

Secret SantaTop Member
Impact
Does anyone have any links to sites that have some insight or research into what percentage of countries/people actually use the IDN version, their language version, the English version etc. in terms of navigation of the internet, primarily, and then just general use.

For example, the German city of Munich. There is the english, the latin character version of the German, the converted latin character version of the German, and the German itself with diacritic:

munich
munchen
muenchen
münchen

Which are the most valuable or functional?

Within German I would expect münchen to be searched first, muenchen second and Munich third. In most of the rest of the world Munich and for tourist $ from English speaking nations - Munich would be the best choice.

But I expect the results pretty much merged together by Google, Bing et al

This was discussed by a number of us last year debating whether España.TV was better or worse than Espana.TV (the latter being relatively expensive). I really just want something that says Germans ALWAYS prefer the German version, the French accent their words x%, the Spanish accent theirs and the Portuguese... etc...

I know the language version can be displayed on screen even if the url is accent-less. But how much is the search/access dynamic affected? I see if you search for Espana or España +Wikipedia it takes you to to España. Is this typed in this way in Spain?

In the US, the country codes, not being whitelisted, still show up as punycode in the browser, obviously you won't ever get type in traffic.

So I imagine succes is 100% about getting traffic from Google outside of the Geography all of the time - no one in the US would type in münchen for example. So all repeat traffic would be through non-direct means - this is a huge disadvantage imho

So given the two examples above - which would you choose and why?

What about French, Portuguese markets?
What about Japanese, Chinese?

Any help appreciated, I'm really fascinated by how this is expected to work moving forward with the increase of IDN.

Sorry for the weird rambling note.. I'm tired - it's 3.30 am :)

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
I think that Eurid's latest "Insights" document had some information on IDN usage:
http://www.eurid.eu/flipbooks/IDN-state-of-play/index.html

Regards...jmcc

You are the stat man! I love your site - it's fascinating. I'd like to do some visuals with the data one day.

Will check this link out. It sees focused on the registration piece at first glance. I'm kind of interested in the psychology/cultural realities of usage.

Hint hint. Any Germans/Brazilians/French in the house?

DU.

Can't rep...but tried.

Last edited:
•••
you can always ask questions at IDNF

•••
you can always ask questions at IDNF

I was reading IDNF. It had some information but doesn't seem to be that active.

I might just try it though - thanks for the suggestion... if it's not that active there I'm not sure why I thought it would be more active here :)

•••
IDNF is pretty active, I think. If there are any questions, you can always post up there and I'm sure someone would be very happy to help you out ;).

French: Had both good and badluck. Depended on the keywords. I've done alright with French, overall.

Brazil: Not much experience... have a couple keywords here and there.

German: Gold-mine. Didn't grab many, but I have a couple that I think will be OK. My only issue... they are .com. .DE would definitely overpower every other TLD... but you will see some long keyword German IDN even in .nets selling for a couple thousand here and there on DNJournal every other week.

•••
•••
If you put the terms in google insights for search it will give you a graph showing the usage. Seperate the terms by a comma. The most commonly searched of the ones you listed is münchen

http://www.google.com/insights/search/#q=munich, munchen, muenchen, münchen&cmpt=q

Wow... that sees so OBVIOUS!!

Interesting as it shows what I wanted to look at. Make the source of the search be US and Munich takes over by a mile.

I didn't think Google differentiated treating them all as equivalent which is why I didn't pay much attention. Sometimes being a smart engine makes things more complicated. Also, the name I was looking at had exactly the same numbers for IDN vs Non-IDN so I thought they were the same in keyword search.

I was interested in São Paulo vs Sao Paulo and Medellín vs Medellin.

The raw data coming out of the Insight is really shocking. It's easy to forget how that language on the internet has not been subjugated as much as English speakers believe (well - it has, but lessening I think with i18n that happened with globalization) I guess Spanish speakers type proper Spanish - as German, Russian etc etc

München is really huge though.. German seems the most natural IDN candidate to me so it makes perfect sense.

I guess the only questions left is how relevant is a Geo.TV to people in Country vs Out of Country. Munich retains high search volume throughout the world but München is leader in Germany. With a city like São Paulo the non accented version is searched almost as highly within Brazil as the accented one.

Medellín would be even more pronounced - however, that seems to be a bad example.

The other question is the impact on the stupid puny code issue which makes IDN difficult to make sense of in the English speaking lands of the US and UK.

Something for me to consider when bored.

Appreciate the help - sorry for the ramble. I do that - maybe people see something that interests them. IDN is something most people are scared of. Perhaps we shouldn't be.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back