Domain Empire

US tax payers should be out raged

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

globegenius

Account Closed
Impact
The Nigerian who tried to blow up a plane and kill hundreds of Americans pleads not guilty in court today. Not only are the tax payers paying for this waste of skin defense, but he also gets a top public defender. Who ever let this be tried in a civil court instead of military has to have rocks in their head. The American tax payer should be out raged.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thats how we do it here, make sure they get a fair trial before slaming the door on their cell for good.

•••
With any luck they'll put him in with the general population and they'll look after him. Make him everybody's B***h :hehe:

•••
I guess he could just be publicly executed without a trial, but it was my impression that was the sort of justice system these terrorist folks want everyone to have.

•••
A trial allows the defendant and the people who trained him to have access to secret information and investigative techniques, to learn more about how to get around US security.

I think the terrorists are delighted at our current justice system.

Never in any past war has the US given these kinds of people basic criminal rights. FDR summarily executed a handful of German spies found in the US during WWII. Nobody peeped about human rights then, not were gulags formed for regular citizens.

You either see this as a war, or as a handful of criminals. And sometimes, it's pretty hard to tell the difference at that, as criminals can acquire political power.

•••
I guess he could just be publicly executed without a trial, but it was my impression that was the sort of justice system these terrorist folks want everyone to have.
And the terrorists are winning...

•••
Never in any past war has the US given these kinds of people basic criminal rights.

Riiiiigggghhht.....

Except for Richard Reid, the shoe bomber, who attempted to blow up an airplane and was prosecuted by the Bush administration in federal court and sentenced to life in prison.

And unless you count Ibrahim Mousawi, the 20th 9/11 hi-jacker, who was prosecuted by the Bush administration in federal court and sentenced to life in prison.

Or Ramsi Yousef and Eyad Ishmoil, prosecuted and convicted for attempting to blow up the World Trade Center in 1993.

By the way, those German spies you mention were allowed to appeal their convictions all the way up to the Supreme Court in the case of Ex Parte Quirin, 317 U.S. 1 (1942). They were executed after their conviction was deemed lawful in a court decision.

Now, change your diapers and go back to cowering under your bed.

•••
Now, change your diapers and go back to cowering under your bed.

Sorry to disappoint you, but I don't do either of those. I also don't make uncalled for and childish personal attacks while cowering safely behind my computer. If you keep the level of discourse to that which you would use were I standing in front of you I'll address your other points (though they in no way contradict my original point.) Otherwise, I will ignore you.

•••
Well if hes guilty hes guilty, caught red handed so to say, why waste time and $, how can he plead/be not guilty, I'd pull the trigger and be down with it.

•••
He is entitled to legal representation.
Remember your "Bill of rights"
He maybe guilty as sin, but is still entitled to a trial.

•••
He is entitled to legal representation.
Remember your "Bill of rights"
He maybe guilty as sin, but is still entitled to a trial.

DJuqa,

A supreme court decision, artfully cited above by my friend JBerryhiil, covers this:

Ex Parte Quirin, 317 U.S. 1 (1942)…the law of war draws a distinction between the armed forces and the peaceful populations of belligerent nations and also between those who are lawful and unlawful combatants. Lawful combatants are subject to capture and detention as prisoners of war by opposing military forces. Unlawful combatants are likewise subject to capture and detention, but in addition they are subject to trial and punishment by military tribunals for acts which render their belligerency unlawful.

So the only question, again, is whether they are combatants or criminals, and whether these terrorist acts constitute a crime spree or warfare. In this case the Supreme Court unanimously supported trial by military tribunal, partly for the reasons I gave earlier.

This has been generally accepted throughout all previous wars in the US, except for the Richard Reid War and the Ibrahim Mousawi War, with which I am unfamiliar.

•••
If as you assert , that he is a war combatant then he still deserves natural justice.
Anythng is a lowering of the standards that USA demands of other countries.

•••
The Nigerian who tried to blow up a plane and kill hundreds of Americans pleads not guilty in court today. Not only are the tax payers paying for this waste of skin defense, but he also gets a top public defender. Who ever let this be tried in a civil court instead of military has to have rocks in their head. The American tax payer should be out raged.

thank God you're not american because there are many ways US "tax payer" money is wasted. have you seen the latest numbers on our wars in iraq and afghanistan? do you know how much money AIG lost from the "bailout funds" it got? My point is that US tax payer money is abused and misued in many ways. this nigerian bomber's case is just a drop in the bucket, and we waste alot more money on the wrong things,so this is nothing new, and you're being unnecessarily alarmist.

•••
Imagine the uproar if a US citizen was detained in some foreign country for an undetermined period of time, and not indicted of any specific offense. Too dangerous for release, yet too innocent to be tried.

Double standards anyone ?

•••
Imagine the uproar if a US citizen was detained in some foreign country for an undetermined period of time, and not indicted of any specific offense. Too dangerous for release, yet too innocent to be tried.

Double standards anyone ?

lol...sounds like you're talking about the 2 americans who crossed over to iranian kurdistan and were then detained. its political- the US currently knows where/has 4 iranians in custody, and iran is holding the americans as blackmail...countries behave just like people.

•••
In this particular case the guy was caught red handed trying to blow up the plane. Look how many witness's they have on the plane. This is a waste of tax payers money. And yes I know there is lots of other examples. I live in a free country (more or less) where I'm entitled to express my opinion.

•••
This just sickens me , but I guess that is the way its done.

•••
Sorry, but we just can't have people who are not members of a military being tried by our military. Doing so could create serious problems around the world if other countries follow suit.

US taxpayers will not be outraged over the money that will be spent on this trial. We have 5% of the world's population, yet 25% of the world's prison inmates. We love to lock people up for unreasonable periods of time and release without rehabilitation. So the money spent putting this guy away is nothing.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back