IT.COM

US city tld on handshake

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Gesa

Impact
First post here.
I own a us city tld on the handshake protocol and want to sell subdomains. I don't want to be involved in creating content on any of these websites, nor do I plan to sell the tld to the respective city or any other person.

So far I learnt that basically a US city name can't be trademarked. Further, the name does not belong to the city, although, I read about the hollywood chamber of commerce setting up royalties/licensing fees for the right to use the word Hollywood. Is that a common practice?

I would certainly get in touch with a lawyer and talk to city officials, but as a start I just want your feedback on my plans, on the risks involved, on the challenges, how to approach, who to ask etc. Any input is very appreciated.Thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
First post here.
I own a us city tld on the handshake protocol and want to sell subdomains. I don't want to be involved in creating content on any of these websites, nor do I plan to sell the tld to the respective city or any other person.

So far I learnt that basically a US city name can't be trademarked. Further, the name does not belong to the city, although, I read about the hollywood chamber of commerce setting up royalties/licensing fees for the right to use the word Hollywood. Is that a common practice?

I would certainly get in touch with a lawyer and talk to city officials, but as a start I just want your feedback on my plans, on the risks involved, on the challenges, how to approach, who to ask etc. Any input is very appreciated.Thanks.

I'm not an Internet lawyer and my advice is worth nothing.

Many companies have developed city / state names without any TM problems. From my poor memory, France is one of he few countries to sue domain holders for geographical .com's.

All the best.

•••
I'm not an Internet lawyer and my advice is worth nothing.

Many companies have developed city / state names without any TM problems. From my poor memory, France is one of he few countries to sue domain holders for geographical .com's.

All the best.

Thank you mr-x.

•••
So far I learnt that basically a US city name can't be trademarked.

dai_philad_plain_cr_02_z.jpg

3840.png

GUEST_e264e0f8-a5fd-4718-8fac-f5727c7128a2

•••
Thank you jberryhill. Do you think beer.brooklyn or taco.elpaso would be a problem because of the above mentioned trademarks?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back