IT.COM

.tv .tv Whois

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Badger

Ravaged By AgeVIP Member
Impact
Someone help an experienced newbie please...

How do i investigate the whois of a .tv extension (when www.tv says they dont hold details of registrations made by other registrars)??

Ta in adv.

Ian

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Good question. I've often found myself frustrated by this nonsense. I thought that whoisking.com would save the day but their search facilities don't work right: you can search for whatever.tv and it will return results for whatever.com.

So for now I guess you still have to make the rounds at all the major registrars and hope you get lucky. Hopefully, someone will finally build a better mouse trap soon.

AmCy

•••
Which domain are looking to get information for in particular? I just did a search for a couple of domains via whois and they seem to work and display the information needed.

•••
Darn good question

Wow, Collieri, that is a darn good question. I have a .tv registered at www.Registerfly.com, and many at the www.tv corp website. I looked up my Registerfly .tv domain on the .tv site, and it's like you say. No available information for .tv's registered at other registrars.

I then went to www.Registerfly.com, and used their who-is, without logging on. Same thing, "0" information.
I then logged on (95% of my domains are here), and tried again. Still, the same result, '0" information!!! You would think that since I am logged in, and the owner, that it would give me my own name!!

I'm stumped, but will keep trying to find an answer....hmmmm.. doesn't make sense, huh? The www.tv corp has to know, they just ain't talking!!!

Anybody else have any answers???

Frank :-/ :-/

Last edited:
•••
Raf said:
Which domain are looking to get information for in particular? I just did a search for a couple of domains via whois and they seem to work and display the information needed.

.tv doesnt return at whois.sc .......

•••
collieri said:
.tv doesnt return at whois.sc .......

Ah okay, doesn't seem to be working for me either. :lala:

•••
So what stops this hyperthetical scam..?

i check greatdomains for .tv domains and research one or two of the low end priced names that dont point to GD. I then ensure that i, myself, cant find the whois details of the real owner. I then post these names (that i dont own) on afternic for $100, insisting on paypal. Being $100 and a bargain I have people rushing in to give me their money. I then disappear.... Worrying.....

•••
collieri said:
So what stops this hyperthetical scam..?

i check greatdomains for .tv domains and research one or two of the low end priced names that dont point to GD. I then ensure that i, myself, cant find the whois details of the real owner. I then post these names (that i dont own) on afternic for $100, insisting on paypal. Being $100 and a bargain I have people rushing in to give me their money. I then disappear.... Worrying.....

Wouldn't work because there's a step in the ecrow process where the new owner confirms the transfer of ownership.

AmCy

•••
AmCy said:
Wouldn't work because there's a step in the ecrow process where the new owner confirms the transfer of ownership.

AmCy

collieri said:
insisting on paypal

:|

•••
collieri said:

If you mean that the buyer would agree to buy a domain without using the escrow service then that buyer deserves to be suckered.

AmCy

•••
AmCy said:
If you mean that the buyer would agree to buy a domain without using the escrow service then that buyer deserves to be suckered.

AmCy

Sorry, i cant condone fraud and nor should afternic... Yet, they allow it.. Unlike sedo who dont allow you to list a domain unless they can verify that you own it...

Lets go back to my hypothetical fraud, i am now selling 30 or 40 single word .tv domains for $20 a piece on afternic bazaar... How many takers?? Should the burden of responsibility be on the buyer, the seller or afternic??

D-:

•••
.TV whoIs

knarfmusik said:
Wow, Collieri, that is a darn good question. I have a .tv registered at www.Registerfly.com, and many at the www.tv corp website. I looked up my Registerfly .tv domain on the .tv site, and it's like you say. No available information for .tv's registered at other registrars.

I then went to www.Registerfly.com, and used their who-is, without logging on. Same thing, "0" information.
I then logged on (95% of my domains are here), and tried again. Still, the same result, '0" information!!! You would think that since I am logged in, and the owner, that it would give me my own name!!

I'm stumped, but will keep trying to find an answer....hmmmm.. doesn't make sense, huh? The www.tv corp has to know, they just ain't talking!!!
Anybody else have any answers???
Frank :-/ :-/

I have the same problem at Registerfly. I tried filling in the WhoIs info and update it within my account. No effect. The whoIs query is still blank! I wonder what is happening? This could put domain owners at risk of losing their domains anytime! Registerfly should do something about it. I think they have become very complacent because of their success, so they don't bother much when you tell them there is a problem. At least, this is how they make me feel.

•••
Who do you think would know....

Verisign, of course!!!

While you still can't get the owners name, you can get some information. I checked several of my own. I can tell some are parked at ww.Sedo.com. You can tell if the name is actually registered, and when it expires.

If www.Verisign.com won't tell you, I don't think anybody can!!

See: www.Verisign-grs.com/cgi-bin/whois

Frank

•••
I have gotten a lot of .tv results on DomainDiscount24 and my own at Godaddy or Idotz

Ian you see that guy Ballads 1 on Bazaar selling a ton Of .tvs? He was like a shill for>tv on Discuss names months ago

•••
Isn't this policy a violation of ICANN policies?

•••
knarfmusik said:
Verisign, of course!!!

While you still can't get the owners name, you can get some information. I checked several of my own. I can tell some are parked at ww.Sedo.com. You can tell if the name is actually registered, and when it expires.

Frank

The path appears a little clearer now, thanks Knarf

•••
collieri said:
The path appears a little clearer now, thanks Knarf

No problem, jst another newbie learning too, by searching!

Knarf= Frank

Musik= Music with a K, like Knarf!! :laugh:

•••
knarfmusik said:
Knarf= Frank

Musik= Music with a K, like Knarf!! :laugh:

That seems a bit backward Frank...?

•••
collieri said:
That seems a bit backward Frank...?

You got it. just like me!!! D-:

Knarf

•••
.TV WhoIs

I checked mine but no whois details. only the registrar name and nameservers. Strange, isn't it?

knarfmusik said:
Verisign, of course!!!

Frank

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back