IT.COM

ccTLD Turkish domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I know an old topic existed on this one, but just like with some other extentions that haven't been discussed in a long while, registrars come and go and the old topic's very outdated. I believe even the rules may have changed for this one...

Basically, the last time I checked rules for registering Turkish domains were that .com.tr was still unavailable for any natural person (so only companies could get them) except for firstnamelastname.com.tr but you needed to live in Turkey for that.

There were no restrictions for regular persons registering .gen.tr or .info.tr domains, and you could register any domain you wanted (not necessarily your name). However, after reading the FAQ on the Turkish registry site, I am still not sure if people with no Turkish residence can own such domains. I must misinterpretate something or either the FAQ are unclear...

Anyways, can foreign persons register a Turkish domain (in a legal way, so without faking a Turkish address) and which registrars are reliable and for a decent price?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Nobody? :( I checked the registry again but it's still not very clear to me if people without Turkish address can own their name with .com.tr or if only .gen.tr and .info.tr are unrestricted (they do sound less attractive than .com.tr but I still don't fully grasp if that latter requires a Turkish address or not)

•••
If I'm up to date on this, .com.tr is open to foreign companies but you need to provide documentation. You can register your corporate name or trademarks, but not just any generic name you like. It must match your corporate name or the trading names that you use. I don't think that the 3rd level domains other than .com.tr are much developed/interesting...

•••
hi, guys,
Is any changes there? I realy need one .com.tr but I'm not turkish citizen and I don't have any docs as a foreign company. I just need simple registration like a .com or .net domain names registration procedure. Is it posible someway?

•••
i agree with sdsinc, as far as i know .com.tr are available only for trademark owners. These are the requirements:

1. .COM.TR domains are restricted to companies registered in Turkey.
2. Registrant must provide a copy of identification certificate (e.g. Commercial Registration Certificate, Trademark Registration Certificate)
3. Domain name applied should be relative to same, sub-string of the name shown in the certificate.
4. Applicants must also prove a business activity in Turkey or have a business relationship with a company which is physically located in Turkey (a distribution agreement, etc.). Domain must match company/trademark name.

i dont know a registrar that offers local presence, but it would be interesting if anyone know any ;)

•••
This is the current informartion about Turkish cc-2ndLDs taken from Turkey's biggest Registrar (isimtescil.net). Unfortunately I couldnt find some answers on their website, so I called them.

To sum it up:

.com.tr
• as mentioned above. Very strict rules. Only Trademarks/Companies can register this.
• Foreign Trademarks/Companies have to be registered as a such in Turkey as well,
therefore they'll have to provide the same documents which they are able to get from the Departements of their Buisiness fields.
• Foreign Trademarks/Companies must be WIPO approved to be entitled to get a .com.tr
• FirstnameLastname.com.tr only for Turkish Citizens (Foreigners must register their NameLastname as Trademark to be eligable to reg their NameLastname.com.tr) only Lastname.com.tr not allowed.

.net.tr
• Only for Telecommunication Companies (ISP, TV, Radio etc..). Must provide docs form the Turkish Ministry/Departement of Telecommunications.

.org.tr
• Non-governmental Organizations must provide a document that verifies their "Organization Status” (e.g. a Certificate). These documents have to be Turkish of course.
• Non-Profit Organizations (e.g. small regional Orgs) require at least 3 “NGO support scripts” from Non-governmental Organizations that acknowledge your Org as such.

.tel.tr
• No documents required during registration, though in case of abuse or claim from someone else proof is requied. Only for people residing in Turkey (And only real phonenumbers).

.web.tr + info.tr + gen.tr + biz.tr + name.tr + tv.tr + bbs.tr
Everyone allowed to reg. Foreigners as well. (Persons)

Add-on
There are some more Turkish 2nd LevelDomains. If you have seen some and wonder what those are for, here is a little explanation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.tr

•••
I somehow missed this update when you posted it, but this is great info. They did not mention anything at all about a more relaxed registration process in the near future?

I agree when saying only .com.tr makes sense. I lived in Turkey for a while. I cannot remember having ever seen any site with .name.tr, .gen.tr or others than .com.tr and a very few .net.tr

•••
They did not mention anything at all about a more relaxed registration process in the near future?

Unfortunately not. And to be honest, I don't think there will be any free registration allowed. Turkey is very carefull about Internet. As you already might know, there is still a internet censorship in Turkey. Youtube was banned for a certain time and got allowed again couple months ago. sites.google.com is still blocked and many more. It's sad!

On the otherhand, I really don't see com.tr or any <sub>.tr as good TLD. Many Turkish companies do use gTLDs like the rest of the world. As I mentioned Turkey's biggest Registrar before, even they use a .net TLD.

If you check on Alexa what most people check on google, you'll quickly see that most Turkish internet users do not care about TLDs. I've personally seen people type "facebook.com" into google search rather than into the url bar on their browsers..

•••
Turkey does not really censor internet, it only censors those sites that speak badly of Atatürk, the founder of present day Turkey. It is illegal to talk badly about him. When I lived in Turkey, my friends all said "you can call him whatever you want in your mind, just don't say it out loud" :) I was in Turkey during one of the YouTube blockings, many people (including the prime minister) used Ktunel to bypass the block. The prime minister declared in the press "we were legally forced to block YouTube but that doesn't make it illegal to use proxies to access the videos". They are creative for sure whenever a site gets blocked :)

That said, Turkey is a very rapidly growing economy, so .com.tr may be a very valuable extention in the near future. Let's hope they also relax the registration restrictions then. It is for sure a country with a very high amount of internet users. When I lived in Istanbul, internet cafes were literally everywhere, and nonetheless they all had a large amount of customers.

•••
Any changes about registering .com.tr for foreigners? Still have restrictions?
Last post of this thread is from 2011.

•••
I am turkish and even i cant reg .com.tr :D You need company in turkey to reg a name...

•••
Thanks serhatkotan. You are right. A company and a traded mark is needed.

•••
Here is the rules for foreign applicants to register a ".tr" domain:

"For the applications made by the legal entities and organisations; the official documents required must certify that the domain name you apply for is your registered trademark or corporate name. One official document that appropriate for the application, which may be "Commercial Registration Certificate", "Trademark Registration Certificate" etc., is sufficient to register a ".tr" domain.

Furthermore, foreign applicants are to prove business activity in Turkey or have a business relation with a company that is domiciled in Turkey and provide supporting official documents such as franchising agreement, distribution agreement, invoice, custom papers etc."

Source: http://www.isimtescil.net/tr-domain-icin-gerekli-evraklar.aspx

•••
What's the sector of the domain name? If you want a com.tr domain name, I can register for you, but com.tr domains can not be transferred to another user. So, I will looking domain name owner.

Domain name price;
First registration : 350 TL
Yearly : 25 TL

1 TL = 0,39 USD

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back