Domain Empire

TRIPS.mobi - WILL be auctioned off starting at $1 on Thursday, July 23rd @ BIDO.COM !

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Talk about a category killer .mobi domain!!! D-:

TRIPS.mobi
is being auctioned off TODAY at 1:00 P.M. EST (New York City time), STARTING AT $1 on the auction site Bido.com

THIS AUCTION ONLY LASTS 1 HOUR!!! IT BEGINS AT 1:00 P.M. EST (New York City time)

LINK: http://www.bido.com/Auction?name=trips.mobi

YOU CAN STILL PRE-BID ANYTIME BEFORE THE AUCTION BEGINS.

If you are not registered at Bido and are interested in this domain, register now. Even if you aren't planning on bidding, register anyway and join us in the Bido Chat Room as the auction is happening. See you there. B-)

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Pre-Bidding is now open for this auction.. you do not have to wait until the auction starts to bid.. if you are interested in this domain I suggest you place a pre-bid as early as possible here:

Bido.com - Bid on Bido

•••
exactly 6 days until this auction on Bido... remember it only lasts 1 hour so get your pre-bid in now!

•••
Should do well. I dont know about America, but in the UK its the 'in' name for hallucigenic drugs like LSD.

•••
Umm, it's a top travel term here in the US. Google results:

V.BZ

•••
•••
Should do well. I dont know about America, but in the UK its the 'in' name for hallucigenic drugs like LSD.

yea, same here in the U.S... although its overwhelmingly known as a travel term way way more than a nickname for LSD. :hehe:

now, go make a pre-bid of $100,000 or so..

•••
3 days until this domain TRIPS.mobi is auctioned off starting at $1 and NO RESERVE price... somebody is going to walk away with a category killer .MOBI domain.

Remember, the auction only lasts 1 hour... so place your pre-bid here:

Bido.com - Social Auction Platform

•••
only 24 HOURS REMAINING to get your pre-bid in for TRIPS.mobi

The auction itself only lasts 1 HOUR... so be sure to pre-bid or be there at 1 P.M. EST tomorrow!

•••
This auction is taking place TODAY at 1:00 P.M. EST (New York City time)

- Auction starts at $1 and runs for JUST 1 HOUR.

- NO RESERVE PRICE

- I originally paid $5,575 USD for this domain.

Bid or come watch the auction in the chatroom here: Bido.com - Social Auction Platform

I have had some bidders tell me they've experienced slow loading times (or having the site completely freeze) with the Internet Explorer browser.. I would recommend using FireFox today for a smooth experience.

•••
Wow! It went for $682. That's a steal. Obviously, the recession has hit everyone (including domainers) hard. I would have paid that much or more, but unfortunately I just don't even have that much money now for domains, real estate, stocks, vacations, or anything that's not necessary in order to live and pay the mortgage. That's it. Layoffs in my industry, cutbacks, etc. The buyer got an outstanding deal, and will probably be able to sell for much more as the economy becomes stronger.

Great deal.

•••
•••
Got to love ole Kenny Rogers and the Gambler.............

•••
I hate to say it but the venue may have not been the right fit for this domain. It would have fetched at least a couple thousand at Sedo.

I just try to call it how I see it. Anyway, I have taken a similar risk with a similar result. We live. We learn.

•••
I hate to say it but the venue may have not been the right fit for this domain. It would have fetched at least a couple thousand at Sedo.

not likely, i've auctioned off similar quality .mobi names in recent days on sedo with the same type of result.

the .mobi aftermarket isnt anywhere near where it was when you sold MusicVideos.mobi for $15,000 in 2007 (or was it 2006?)... that domain wouldnt get but a few hundred bucks nowadays... smart call selling it when you did. trust me i know the .mobi aftermarket like the back of my hand.. i've sold somewhere in the neighborhood of 2,000-3,000 .mobi domains... probably more than anybody.. mobi is all i deal with.

•••
not likely, i've auctioned off similar quality .mobi names in recent days on sedo with the same type of result.

the .mobi aftermarket isnt anywhere near where it was when you sold MusicVideos.mobi for $15,000 in 2007 (or was it 2006?)... that domain wouldnt get but a few hundred bucks nowadays... smart call selling it when you did. trust me i know the .mobi aftermarket like the back of my hand.. i've sold somewhere in the neighborhood of 2,000-3,000 .mobi domains... probably more than anybody.. mobi is all i deal with.

My first domain sale of the year was a .mobi sold via the Sedo platform and it fetched over 3k. The end price surprised me because it sat in the mid xxx range until the very end and then a bidding war ensued between two parties.

Anyway, this is neither here nor there. Trips.mobi is a high caliber domain and you can find comfort in selling it to a friend.

UPDATE: I just want to clarify my comment about the venue. I think Bido.com is absolutely great and serves a need. .Mobi's are tricky in that it may not be as clear what approach to use when trying to monetize and optimize the domain. This said, a one hour auction may not give a perusing domain investor enough time to make a decision to participate. Other auction websites provide a description piece and several days to research the domain thoroughly before participating (not that it takes several days to make a decision to buy). Also, bids on a listing are healthy and encourage additional bidding. The number of bids on a listing is like a popularity index. The longer the auction, the more likely additional bids may trickle in. Anyway, in my opinion, Bido.com is better suited for the mainstream extensions. This is just my opinion.

Last edited:
•••
all it takes is two people that really want a domain for it to skyrocket... unfortunately that hasnt happend with my last dozen or so recent sales.. although it happened many times in 2006/2007... but not since then. the luck of the draw i guess... back to the one and only uncle kenny:

YouTube - Kenny Rogers - The Gambler

UPDATE: I just want to clarify my comment about the venue. I think Bido.com is absolutely great and serves a need. .Mobi's are tricky in that it may not be as clear what approach to use when trying to monetize and optimize the domain. This said, a one hour auction may not give a perusing domain investor enough time to make a decision to participate. Other auction websites provide a description piece and several days to research the domain thoroughly before participating (not that it takes several days to make a decision to buy). Also, bids on a listing are healthy and encourage additional bidding. The number of bids on a listing is like a popularity index. The longer the auction, the more likely additional bids may trickle in. Anyway, in my opinion, Bido.com is better suited for the mainstream extensions. This is just my opinion.

i still doubt a sedo auction would have done much better judging from my recent experiences this year on sedo when i've sold other high quality .mobi's.... but i will never know specifically with Trips.mobi... this is just the reality of the .mobi aftermarket.. its down about 90% as most naysayers will tell you, and i agree... you cant really argue with numbers.

Last edited:
•••
but then i wouldn't get the $682, which i need.

besides, you cant really go doing stuff like that - because then whats the difference between that and shill bidding?

•••
A friend might thank-you for the deal.

A good friend would hand it back to you, let you pay the sale fees (if applicable) and say that's what good friends are for. Good friends are few and far between.

Got to love the two for one insult, judging the buyer and telling mj how to measure his friends, when in fact L2 you really know nothing of which you speak.

•••
Nothing, other than live to fight another day and not realize a $5,000 loss today. Markets change (obviously).

but my landlord doesnt accept .mobi domains as payment.. it really is that simple. this type of thinking will just cause a person to fall further behind rather than taking the steps to move forward.

and:
Sunk costs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Loss aversion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Really? I don't remember judging anyone but I do remember stating an observation...

Do you honestly believe that domain auctions are without shill bid?

Joe calls Tom, Dick and Harry to bid up hoping that unknown Stan bites. Then when Tom, Dick or Harry sell at auction - Joe repays the favor. It isn't 'till after the auction that you see'm all driving home in the same car.

Hi-dollar good domain names at auction? Bet on more than half are shilled. Who's naive?

L2

you kinda just went off on a tangent... nobody was arguing shill bidding doesnt take place in online auctions. but i've been selling on auction platforms online for more than 10 years and if you even start to think its okay just because it takes place you will not last long.

•••
Not a tangent, but replying to the accusation made by scandiman.

L2

but it didnt have anything to do with shill bidding... that was the tangent.

•••

First and foremost, of course, thanks for the kind words about Bido. :)
I would like to point out one small clarification regarding the preview window that Bido auctions have.
While the clock counts down for one hour on the day of the auction, the days that lead up to the auction (actually from the moment the seller lists the auction on Bido) we call the "Preview Time". This is the time that Experts are welcome to leave their commentaries as well as any interested party may place a pre-bid.
These pre-bids that early bidders leave are all automatically placed by the system the moment the clock starts the one hour countdown that day of auction. So when an auction starts, if there were pre-bids, they will all appear in the auction's Bid History. This feature enables people who cannot attend the day of the auction for whatever reason a chance still to win the domain and get their bid heard. To take pre-bidding a step farther, Bido actually gives anyone who wins an auction a 2% credit of the final sale price if it was a pre-bid that won the auction. This is called our Cashback Bonus program. Bido pays for this, not the seller. The idea is to encourage bidding early by prospective parties. So even if you can make it the day of the auction, its beneficial to place your maximum as a pre-bid because if that very pre-bid wins, you save some money. The cool thing about this is that you can add your potential savings onto your maximum bid amount and increase your bid, in turn giving you a better chance of winning.
The other thing that I want to mention is that during pre-bidding, if you place a pre-bid and there is another in the system that already exists for more than your bid amount, you will get a notice and a chance to increase your bid amount at that time when you place it. The way we designed this benefits the pre-bidder as well as the seller. Because, of course, as you mentioned - "bids on a listing are healthy and encourage additional bidding". So we let pre-bidders know. Any bidder will know the status of their bid up till the moment the auction ends, and even during this preview window. We do offer what you pointed out.
I hope the info helps, and appreciate the opportunity to talk about how bidding on Bido works.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back