Domain Empire

Traffic Data Aggregation Tool - Useful?

Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I have an idea I’d like to run past ya’ll and see what you think. I want to get some feedback before I invest to have it built.

Here’s the thing – I’ve been working to get a good understanding of traffic generating domain names and what attributes affect the value of domains and to what degree. It’s not as simple as it might look. Some tools have really fancy math formulas which factor in OVT, OVT w/o TLD, Alexa, Link Popularity, etc. It churns all these numbers together and out pops a “value”. Truth is, it’s not that simple.

So, I had my engineers take my list of domain names, pull all the ratings for them and analyze them based upon traffic results for the previous month. Some interesting things came out, but I just don’t have enough data to really analyze this in detail. Then it occurred to me – this is an opportunity to create a tool for the community. What if I build a system which allows users to upload their stats from their parking services into a single, centralized database? Then, my engineers develop reports which allow the members of the community to do “what if” analysis. Like “if OVT is greater than 100, what other attribute has the most significant influence on traffic generated?”

I think that this type of tool can help us pull back some of the mystery and voodoo magic associated with domain name valuation. Maybe we can get a little of the error margin reduced and pick up fewer duds and more revenue generating domains.

If I build it, I would offer it as a free service. I would benefit the same way everyone else would – by observing patterns in the data after the community forms and we have a large amount of actual results in a single database. I would probably provide some basic reports on the site and allow the users to download the data to study on your own computer.

What do you think? Would you use this system and share your data in this system?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back