IT.COM

Trademark issue?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

rubencouto

DN FrontTop Member
Impact
Hello!

I registered MentorMultimedia.com, only ot learn latter that there is a trademark named "Multimedia Mentor". I was planning on parking this domain. May I run into some trademark problems?

Thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hello,

Personally, I doubt that you will have problem.

1. The term / phrase is rather generic
2. You did not register it in bad faith and as long you will not compete with the TM, I THINK you'll be fine
3. The trademarked term seems to be some kind of planning computer program. They don't even have the .COM. It is actually available to register at the moment.

However, I am not a law expert. There are probably people here with better knowledge and experience.

•••
Hello :)

I registered MentorMultimedia.com
Why ?
It's the question you will have to answer at UDRP. What made you register this name in particular.

May I run into some trademark problems?
I don't think this name is very generic. I wouldn't park the name if there is a live TM for an identical or similar domain.
While you may have registered the domain in 'good faith', it can still be alleged that you should have checked the existence of active TMs prior to registering the domain. Parking doesn't qualify as active usage, so that makes you an easy target *if* somebody decides to go after you. Not saying this will ever happen, but one should always have a *good* reason for buying a specific domain name.

•••
If you type Mentor Multimedia into Google you get:

MultiMedia Mentor®

On the second search result. It's pretty hard to hide from that. Feels like complete loss if it was challenged. Not worth putting time or money into. Good Luck

•••
To reach a UDRP, the company in question will have to find this out first. *Maybe they will do via this forum thread?!*

If they really are concerned about this as not just a product, but also as a domain name, why haven't they then not even registered it's .COM? It's a program / product, not a website. Still it has a TM so you never know. I am just speculating that your odds are probably rather good.

If you still should take the risk? That is not up to me. Personally I would probably drop the domain if it had no significant value for me.

•••
If parking is your only intention for it, then it's a goner.

If you are looking for an end-user buyer for it, most likely they'll discover that its a trademark landmine and will avoid it, so it's a goner on that too.

So what else can you do about it then? You'll pay another reg renewal every year for something useless.

•••
Hello @kohsamui , @Kate , @johname and @alien51 !

I'm really thankful for all your inputs!

My main reason to register this domain was to park it. This name still has a good number of backlinks and I though it might have some traffic... It was quite a newbie error because I only remembered of checking for trademarks AFTER registering it...

I'll ask Godaddy to grace delete it ASAP.

Thanks again for you help!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back