IT.COM

Trademark issue

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Isac

Top Member
Impact
If there a person who is doing business of selling fruits ( Apples ) . Now he wants to open a website and he saw few ccTls and gTlds availaible, say e.g : Apple.store . But if i am right word - Apple - is trademark.
Now my question is simple can he open website with a name Apple.store to sell his fruits ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
I think if you are an apple farmer or something of the sort then you have as much right to the name as Apple does..... I THINK

•••
For a generic word like apple they would have had to state a use for the trademark. ie Computers, phones, music, technology etc. I remember Apple had to sign a waiver to not use Apple for music because the Beatles owned the trademark. It blew up later on when iTunes came out and I am sure a payoff was involved.

That said apple.store would not work because by now Apple would have added the Apple Store to the trademark.

We had a franchise business called Apple Auto Glass in town and there was never an issue because Apple does not deal with Auto glass.

•••
For a generic word like apple they would have had to state a use for the trademark. ie Computers, phones, music, technology etc. I remember Apple had to sign a waiver to not use Apple for music because the Beatles owned the trademark. It blew up later on when iTunes came out and I am sure a payoff was involved.

That said apple.store would not work because by now Apple would have added the Apple Store to the trademark.

We had a franchise business called Apple Auto Glass in town and there was never an issue because Apple does not deal with Auto glass.

I was just giving an example of apple.store

•••
Yup, I knew that but I thought it was a great example to use.

•••
It's all about fair use.

You sell apples, you can use Apple.Store, but if your site shows an ad for Apple, Inc related products they will rip that domain away from you promptly.

Also, you better have the best chain of evidence that shows you were/are an apple vendor.

•••
Technically it is not a trademark violation if you use for service/product not related to them, but the ICANN guys sitting there will peel the skin, check the pulp, split the seeds and pass a dictate against you.

•••
•••
•••
I doubt many apple farmers show up on Namepros with domain questions.
How dare you, sir!
You've offended all the apple farmers who were lining up to join NamePros, now they'll all stay away!

•••
I suppose next I'll scare away everyone who likes to go ogle things.

•••
Also it is Dot Store. Take the population of apple farmers who were lining up to join NamePros and then figure out the small population of them that want to try selling apples through the mail.

STORE further the argument it was regged because Apple Computer

•••
•••
Let alone the Irish International Book Magazine people!

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :xf.laugh::ROFL::xf.laugh::ROFL::xf.laugh::ROFL:

OMG, most people won't get that one unless they read a few other topics today.

You get 5 thumbs up for that one (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back