Impact
Looking to tm/cr a domain of mine.
Hers my questions,
1. should I do it myself through a site like legal zoom or through a lawyer
2. how much is a simple tm/cr
3. how long does the process take.
thx for your input

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
How important is it that the TM is done properly? In other words, how much do you stand to lose if you screw it up? After you answer this, hopefully it will answer #1 for you.

Go to uspto.gov for more info on filing (assuming you are filing in the USA).

There should be a FAQ section of the TM page that should answer all of your questions are uspto.gov (see here: http://www.uspto.gov/web/trademarks/workflow/start.htm)

•••
cool thanks for link
looks like i will have to get a lawyer for it seems prety simple whats the average going rate.
what is a fair price?

Last edited:
•••
TMs are earned through usage in commerce. You file to register your TM. You cannot file a TM and then you have one. You need to be using or have intent to use it. If you do intent, you still have to show usage in commerce before the registered mark is granted.

•••
You can file directly online at uspto.gov. It's like $300. If you hire a lawyer it'll cost you around $1000-1500. I dont think it's very difficult to do yourself, the hardest part is ensuring you are using the proper category. A lawyer may be able to advise you more specifically in this and possibly offer suggestions for registering in more than one category if it makes sense legally.

an official TM application can take upto several years to be complete, depending on the circumstances.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back