Domain Empire

Tips for domain names

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Anyone have any tips on selecting the right domain name before I buy one? Thanks to anyone who can help :)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I prefer .com If thats not available then you gotta find a substitute extension. :| Thats the first thing I check for when regging a name.

•••
Okay, any others?

And what are some things you think of as refreshing when cold?

•••
I always go on www.netsol.com to check that all the other
extensions of a domain name are allready registered.
I like to see that .ws and .tv versions are allready registered.

•••
Link: www.whois.sc

Experiment around with the "Domain Explorer" ... AWESOME resource, IMHO! :tu:
All the best.
:wave:

•••
Something easy to remember, short and is relative to the site content if your plans are for developement.

•••
If it can only be easy to remember or revilant to the site whats more important. I look through like 100 different domains revilant to my site, all taken. I know a couple of nice ones that no one registered but they don't have anything to do with my site.

•••
Selecting a Domain Name.

You can also check out. QualityDomains.com they have couple of tools. :music:

•••
Qwert said:
If it can only be easy to remember or revilant to the site whats more important. I look through like 100 different domains revilant to my site, all taken. I know a couple of nice ones that no one registered but they don't have anything to do with my site.

How about the use of other very viable extensions? eg. info, biz, us etc.

Of the 100 or so domains you've sifted through, are they all active? You might find a few of those gems in their expiration cycle. A prized address could simply be a backorder away............unless it's of the sex.com calibre :laugh:

•••
Qwert said:

That is a dilemma that you must choose yourself. I also have domains that I developed that have nothing to do with my site content but the domain is generic and I used it for branding purposes. Ask a room full of frogs and I guarantee you that not all will have the same answer. Its your site, your developement & of course should only be fair to be your choice. Good Luck

•••
HI

This is a question only you can really answer from the
little information that you have supplied, you need to look
at the following,

1) Is it a domain name that you want for business or
personal use.....

If business make it a .com , if personal it does not really
matter,

2) If it is business try and keep the domain name as
short as possible and direct to the point/theme of the website
you are going to put on the domain this will make branding easier,

3) Do you want the site to have existing traffic, If so look
for a domain that has as many in bound links as possible and
with an alexa rank under 1 million or lower, the lower the better,

You may also want to check the domain with the
extension in overture to see if it may get any typin
traffic,

If you enter the domain name into overture with the extension and
it returns a result other then 0 then it is very likely that the
domain will get some daily typin traffic.

Typin traffic is much better traffic then any traffic that comes
through a link from another website,

Plus you may want to check it the domain is listed in Yahoo or Dmoz
if it is an expired domain name that you are thinking about grabbing,

-----------

These are only a few points that you should check I know there are
many others and im sure other members are willing to share more with
you here in this post,

Good Luck

Thanks
Tom Dahne

Expired Domain Software
http://www.expireddomainsoftware.com

•••
When I register or buy a domain, I look at overture and keywordtracker results first. Didn't know that before so I think a bungled on some purchases :)

Here is a nice toy to play around with.

Good Luck :tu:

•••
ezimedia said:
3) Do you want the site to have existing traffic, If so look
for a domain that has as many in bound links as possible and
with an alexa rank under 1 million or lower, the lower the better,

You may also want to check the domain with the
extension in overture to see if it may get any typin
traffic,

If you enter the domain name into overture with the extension and
it returns a result other then 0 then it is very likely that the
domain will get some daily typin traffic.

Typin traffic is much better traffic then any traffic that comes
through a link from another website,

What is overture and how do I check it? And also what is existing/typin traffic?

•••
•••
Okay whats a good wordtracker and overture. I just typed in something that sorta realated to my site. It was 6.6/day overture and 13.0/day wordtracker. Oh and thats for USA only, since this isn't really targeted to any specific area (but will probabally be USA only still) so it might really be a little higher.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Glad you liked it :)

It will really depend on the anchor text you're targeting. Some anchor text has lower level of competition, while others will put you head to head with the "big boys".

Assuming you have a domain with 300 overture result, without extension. But that same anchor text shows up 1,000,000 search results on Google. It will take hard work in order to appear on the first page of the results. Unless your domain is a dictionary one word :)

Another instance is when you have only 100 overture results, but google search results shows only 20,000 entries. There is a higher probability that you'll get good search engine position with this scenario.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back