NameSilo

Thought I'd liven this place up a little...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
...by posting screenshots of my computers! I have just gone through my weekly "oh my god, how could I have EVER liked that colour scheme? And those borders?? Time to change EVERYTHING and remake it ALL!" phase, so my computers are looking better than ever before.

Desktop
desktop.png

Laptop
laptop.png

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
hmvi7.png

Hah. just got a new laptop, still moving files :)

•••
What a boring computer :p
You're using Windows, too. That makes it permamently ugly also.

•••
Mikor said:
What a boring computer :p
You're using Windows, too. That makes it permamently ugly also.

My exact same feelings.... :xf.love:

•••
:p

My pc looks about like James's

•••
desktopvc1.jpg

My new Linux laptop, decided to finally move away from Windows!!
Still trying to figure a lot out, like how to install Java, but getting there :)

•••
Looks good, how are you finding Linux?
What distribution are you using? I can tell you're using KDE, but not sure about anything else.

•••
I have ubuntu installed on a seperate partition from Windows, however my wireless reciever won't function with ubuntu so i cannot use it as i rely on the internet :)

Recently formatted, but got it back to how i like it :) Dunno why i have so many things in the clockbar thingy :/

73912256032desktop.gif

•••
Mikor said:
Looks good, how are you finding Linux?
What distribution are you using? I can tell you're using KDE, but not sure about anything else.

I like it but am having trouble with installing programs ect.
Much better than Windows!

Im using Mandriva 2008.

•••
Ahh, not a Debian-based distro then. It's really easy to find and install software in Debian-based distros. I've tried openSUSE and Fedora and just found installing things a pain.

•••
Mikor said:
Ahh, not a Debian-based distro then. It's really easy to find and install software in Debian-based distros. I've tried openSUSE and Fedora and just found installing things a pain.

Well its based on Red Hat which uses .rpm.. these are easy to install but Java and some other software uses .rpm.bin and I dont know how to install them

•••
openSUSE and fedora use rpm. They are easy to install, but nowhere near as easy as .deb.

•••
I have linux but i haven't installed it yet. Its a free distro

•••
James said:
I have linux but i haven't installed it yet. Its a free distro
99.9% of them are, you'll have to be a little more descriptive :p

•••
•••
Anybody know how I can install and burn linux to a disk? I need it to activate it as soon as the machine powers on and over write the windows xp thats on the hard drive already. Is this possible?

•••
Right.
  • Go to http://www.ubuntu.com
  • Download the desktop edition of Ubuntu 7.10
  • Burn the ISO to a disk. You'll need a program like UltraISO to do this.
  • Reboot the computer with the disk in the drive
  • If the Ubuntu LiveCD doesn't start up, you'll have to change the boot order in your BIOS.
  • When you have it booting from the disk, double click "Install" and follow the easy instructions. In the partitioning options you'll probably want to select "Guided: Use entire disk", that will overwrite Windows.

•••
Ok, While I am installing on my other computer.. IT will not run or over write anything?

•••
What's the exact problem?

•••
I'd be ashamed to post a pic of my current desktop. An ugly windows .
I'll wait for my sexy new iMac to arrive then I'll have no qualms about flaunting it :)

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back