Dynadot

The Vanishing Domain

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Lyrical Domain

Established Member
Impact
Two days ago, I searched and found the name I wanted was available. Today in returning to buy it, it is neither registered nor available to register.
A whois.icann search says, "The requested second-level domain was not found in the Registry or Registrar’s WHOIS Server."
Where can this name be?
Many thanks for your suggestions!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
can you tell us the domain name ??

•••
•••
•••
Which registrar?
This is a previously unregistered name. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
After being available, what could have caused it to become now impossible to register, while still apparently belonging to no one?
I'm searching using EasyDNS which has a no front-running policy.

•••
After being available, what could have caused it to become now impossible to register, while still apparently belonging to no one?
Frustrating. I've read of people registering names only to have them taken back and told that the name should never have been made available, although if that were the case it would seem someone might have noticed your search.
Hopefully someone with more knowledge will comment on what might have happened. It would be interesting to find out.

•••
Which TLD ? You can check whois direct on the registry website.

•••
Frustrating. I've read of people registering names only to have them taken back and told that the name should never have been made available, although if that were the case it would seem someone might have noticed your search.
Hopefully someone with more knowledge will comment on what might have happened. It would be interesting to find out.

•••

Thanks for your suggestion, cooljub.

What I think someone probably noticed was that about a day earlier I had registered an almost identical name (in the singular).

The vanished name is the plural, which still has a high number of exact match searches on google.

What is unclear is why and how they were able to freeze that name so that it was neither available nor registered. Who would be able to "reserve"names in this way? Registrars?

Perhaps they wanted to reserve the name until the trail cooled down and i had forgotten about it, and then register it.

Is all this feasible, or am I being paranoid?

•••
Which TLD ? You can check whois direct on the registry website.

Thanks Kate. Yes, I checked at Whois.icann.org.

•••
This is not the registry website... for .com/.net you check at Verisign, for .org at pir.org etc

•••
This is not the registry website... for .com/.net you check at Verisign, for .org at pir.org etc

Didn't know that. Much obliged!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back