Domain Empire

.info The value of adding the .net, .org, .biz, .info?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hi!

I have been wondering how other members perceive the importance of buying all the available extensions of a name they own or register.

For example, I just purchased an N-N.com, but then saw the N-N.biz was available, so went and registered it too. Would you do the same? Do you think it significantly alters the value of a .com name to have all extensions too? Is this only really the case for end-user sales? Do you think it equates to more value to resellers too? Has anybody here been offered a substantially higher amount for a group of domains that are the same word(s) in more than 1 ext than they would have done if they just had the .com alone?

When you get a good name crop up for a fresh reg, who gets the other extensions as well as the .com?

p.s. Apologies if this has been asked before (I'm sure it must) but I couldn't find it on the first 6 pages of searching I did)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hey Gingeman,

This is a good question and good thread topic.

I do also agree that having the alternate major entensions of a quality name is valuable. Here's a perspective that might be helpful in making that arguement:

Let's say that one day a new generic noun word (I'm going to make one up for this example: let's say this new generic word is "houphin") were developed to name a type of prescription drugs, for example. A company that specialized in making "houphin" related products would certainly like to own the domain houphin.com. This said, this company would do themselves a tremendous favor to beat out their competition and also register or buy houphin.net, houphin.org, houphin.info, houphin.biz and even houphin.us (etc.). This way, but owning all the other extensions, even though they may not be the only company that manufactures houphin related products, their competition will not be albe to register or buy this name in the other major extensions (and thus possibly steal some of the internet marketplace from this first company). This allows the first company to corner the internet related market for houphin type-ins, no matter what extension chosen, and thus lock out their competition.

Thus, it is I believe a great idea to own the complementing extensions of a domain name. End-users certainly won't mind owning their interested name in more than one extension, and by doing so will have an advantage in the internet marketplace over their competition. Thus, it does seem to have the monopoly effect, as owning a series of related properties does seem to increase the value of the group over the cost of the individual properties.

I know this is a somewhat complicated answer, but I do hope it is helpful.

Thanks again,
zesty

•••
That was a good post by zesty.
Normally most domainers don't bother registering the full list unless there is a serious issue of brandability...it is expensive to do them all. On the other hand a key name may be worth it. Just regging the biz if you have the .com is not really worth it unless there is some stand-alone value in the .biz itself...it will not add to the .com value, partic in this case.

•••
in terms of getting the highest yield for your investment, it is not a good idea. But if you have a very good name, then it may add some value to it.

•••
Generally, if you own the .com and the others are all still available, then it probably won't add value to the sale of the .com. If only one or two are available, or if you don't have the .com, then it can be wise in some cases. If the domain fits the extension, I will often buy the alternate TLD's just so someone wanting that name will not have the choice/excuse of registering the alternate at reg fee to negotiate the price downward.

I have at times had someone make an offer on one TLD, and before replying, purchased the alternates. A couple times, I even added them as add-ons to the original offer at maybe 2-3 times reg fee or sometimes even free as a package, even though they would have been available to the potential buyer at reg fee before that. If they don't bite, then at least I know the one I sold will likely be developed if a retail purchase, making the new ones more valuable after the sale.

However, I am mainly talking generic domains. for N-N, I'm not so sure I would. I probably also wouldn't for a name that would be branded (non-generic), since once they brand it, you might not have a legitimate use since a new buyer could be liable for TM issues.

•••
Thanks all for your comments, some interesting points are made, which raise some other questions in my mind.
I think that Zesty made a very good point about capturing a market- i have some emerging technology names that I registered in all major tlds for this same reason. i appreciate other's comments also, and agree that sometimes (and probably the case with my N-N.com) it may not be a great idea, although i do wonder if it can be used to great effect as a deal clincher more than anything? (i.e. if I can say "I'll even throw in the .biz and clinch a good profit sale, it was worth the $6.95 for that alone...)
My casual observations on the situation would be that the majority of domainers do not speculate by registering all tlds unless it is a truly superb name (set of names), as it is a costly affair for resellers, buit I do still believe the addition of a .net or .org or .info can contribute to an end user sale, or any sale where figures in the $xxx and up range are being considered, as the price of reg-fee is small comparatively.
Any other opinions?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back